It's Bugday!

Tuesday February 6th, 2001

Asa Dotzler writes in:
"It's BugDay again! Mozilla will be wrapping up the 0.8 development cycle in the next few days so join us in #mozillazine on irc.mozilla.org (use Mozilla's chatzilla if you don't have another IRC client) and help shake out any remaining bugs. BugDay is a weekly collaborative bug hunting, reporting and triage effort that takes place on IRC every Tuesday. If you're new to Mozilla then stop in and ask for help getting started. We've go all kinds of activities that need your help and friendly folks ready to assist you in getting more involved."

#1 screenshots

by macpeep

Wednesday February 7th, 2001 7:46 AM

I am filing a bug right here and now against MozillaZine not having updated the screenshots page in about 30 years. The most recent screenshots there right now are so old that they are completely irrelevant, except from a historical "wow, look how much it has changed"-perspective. I mean, come on, just load Mozilla, press print screen a couple of times and write some HTML. How hard can it be?!

#3 Re: screenshots

by mcherm <1cp6e0anzvvisqd001@sneakemail.com>

Wednesday February 7th, 2001 3:17 PM

Oh... what was that? Did I hear macpeep volunteering to re-take the screen shots on his machine, grab a copy of gimp (or whatever) and build the full-size and thumbnail versions, stick them in a zip file and mail it to MozillaZine?

Yes, that\'s what I THOUGHT I heard. Hey.. it\'s a community effort... if you see something broken, FIX IT! Like you said, it\'t a trivial task.

#6 Re: screenshots

by macpeep

Thursday February 8th, 2001 9:24 AM

Yup, I volunteer! But I heard the admin here already had pictures - he just hasn't put them up "yet". This was two months ago or so.

But if I hear a promise that they will be put up, I will also take screenshots. What email address do you want them emailed to - or would you want me to give you a URL to get them from?

#2 Bug Count?

by ERICmurphy <murphye@gmail.com>

Wednesday February 7th, 2001 8:13 AM

I was wondering, has the amount bug reports changed any, from 6 months ago, or whatever?

How are things going in that department?

Eric

#4 Re: Bug Count?

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Wednesday February 7th, 2001 9:43 PM

The number of incoming bugs is pretty consistent. It's usually around 500 to 800 bugs a week. The number of people with can confirm and can edit permissions is going up at a strong clip and the number of good bugs filed by those people is going up. The total number of bad bugs (duplicates, invalid and worksforme) is also going up with all the new accounts. This means that we need more help triaging those bad bugs to keep them out of the way of developers and we need more help teaching those reporters how to use the tools to report better bugs. The state of things in Bugzilla is healthy though and the volunteer community that has grown up around the task of maintaining sanity in the database is simply amazing. I honestly don't think that Bugzilla would have survived as a tool for development if the community had not come together like it has.

-Asa

#16 and....

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Friday February 9th, 2001 8:32 PM

...after all that I forgot my point. Thank you to all of the folks who have take the time to file a bug. Thank you to all the folks who have helped someone else file or add value to a bug report. And thank you to all the folks who give countless hours to maintaining sanity in this massive database. Mozilla is a better product because of you.

--Asa

#17 Re: and....

by mielke

Saturday February 10th, 2001 4:06 AM

It would be nice to see sometimes the bug charts again ( bug 38631), or are these charts so bad, that they should be hidden (conspiracy, conspiracy ...). :-)

#5 Window drag...

by leafdigital

Thursday February 8th, 2001 3:11 AM

The latest build (20010207-20) fixes the 'bookmarks button doesn't work' bug... yay!

Another recent critical regression (for me - I use this feature a lot) though, is the 'can't drag links' bug.

Do we need to report this kind of bug? I mean they are pretty obvious, and are clear regressions... should we just leave well alone and trust it will be fixed in a couple days, or does it need a report? (I can't *find* it in Bugzilla, when I searched for 'drag' and last 10 days, but that may not have been an appropriate search; my needle/haystack skillz are kind of lacking recently.)

--sam

#10 Re: Window drag...

by damian <daemonc@netscape.net>

Thursday February 8th, 2001 5:01 PM

Depending on what you are dragging the link to, dragging links has been broken for quite some time. You can drag from one Mozilla window to another, or to/from your bookmarks, but dragging to other applications produces unexpected results.

#11 Re: Window drag...

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Thursday February 8th, 2001 8:34 PM

If you've looked at the most frequent list and tried a couple of queries and can't find them then please do report your bugs. I would rather see a duplicate filed than have a bug go unreported. Thanks for asking.

Resources:

<http://www.mozilla.org/quality/most-frequent-bugs/> <http://www.mozilla.org/quality/help/bug-form.html>

--Asa

#15 Re: Re: Window drag...

by leafdigital

Friday February 9th, 2001 5:34 AM

I've reported it.

<http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=68295>

Thanks for advice. (I think it will turn out to be a duplicate, but oh well ;)

--sam

#7 Milestone Features and Bugfixes

by CNeb96 <cneb96@hotmail.com>

Thursday February 8th, 2001 10:44 AM

Where do I find a list of features and bug fixes targeted for each Milestone? I have already found the <http://www.mozilla.org/quality/most-frequent-bugs/> page. But there has to be a more exact list somewhere....

#8 Re: Milestone Features and Bugfixes

by gerbilpower <gerbil@ucdavis.edu>

Thursday February 8th, 2001 12:40 PM

Just go to Bugzilla <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/> , go to the bug query/search page, and then set the Milestone field to the milestone you want to search for, submit, and you'll see all bugs targetted for that milestone that has not been fixed yet.

Keep in mind that all there are many bugs that are not targetted at a specific milestone, or targetted at a different milestone, gets fixed during a milestone period also, so this is not a completely accurate indicator of what's been fixed or not.

Alex

#12 What about Feature lists?

by CNeb96 <cneb96@hotmail.com>

Thursday February 8th, 2001 10:57 PM

Thanks. That answers my question about bug fixes. What about new features targeted for each Milestone? -Chris

#13 Re: What about Feature lists?

by bratell

Thursday February 8th, 2001 11:38 PM

Features being worked on (or wished by someone) are often also reports in Bugzilla.

#14 Re: What about Feature lists?

by gerbilpower <gerbil@ucdavis.edu>

Friday February 9th, 2001 12:20 AM

Features are usually reported as enhancements under priority.

Alex

#9 Common User Agent Problems

by basic <_basic@yahoo.com>

Thursday February 8th, 2001 2:42 PM

W3C has released a "Common User Agent Problems" list and how it should be fixed.

<http://www.w3.org/TR/cuap>

Does Mozilla have any of the problems on this list (besides the print frames)?

#18 CHEESE!