A Trip Down Memory Lane!

Wednesday October 28th, 1998

Jeremie Miller writes in with some cool news that I'm sure you'll all like.

"I happened across an old disk from 94 that had my very first Netscape browser on it, so I've posted the file along with some cool strings extracted from the binary and screenshots(yes it does display most sites in a usable way!). Starting it up again is a very nostalgic experience if you were on the Net back in 'those days'!"

#1 Re:A Trip Down Memory Lane!

by simeon <simeon@pimpmaster.org>

Wednesday October 28th, 1998 8:33 AM

This is wonderful. But has anyone gotten this to run w/ windows98? I just get a dos window that says "This program requires Microsoft Windows". A bit ironic, isn't it? Is there a dos setting I need to set in the executable's properties box? The screenshots look sooo cool...

#2 Re:

by Jeremie <jer@jeremie.com>

Wednesday October 28th, 1998 9:44 AM

I've used it on 95, 98, and NT already... The OS recognizes it as a normal windows executable, not a DOS executable, so there must be something not set up right. You might want to try re-downloading it.

#3 Re:A Trip Down Memory Lane!

by simeon <simeon@pimpmaster.org>

Wednesday October 28th, 1998 10:49 AM

Hmmmm. I tried it again w/ IE4 and it worked. It gives a different file size: 831K for IE4, 837K for NS4.5 and moz5.0a. Go figure. I'll file a mozilla bug later. ;)

#4 Re:A Trip Down Memory Lane!

by Tomas Ögren <stric@ing.umu.se>

Wednesday October 28th, 1998 4:21 PM

Here's an archive with versions 0.93 to 2+... Windows, linux and *bsd... <http://garman.dyn.ml.org/history/query.php3>

#5 Re:A Trip Down Memory Lane!

by Mark R. Bowyer <Moredhel@earthling.net>

Wednesday October 28th, 1998 4:52 PM

If people really find this interesting, I've got an archive of most every version for Solaris since 0.97. Used to use them to test the site I webmastered, along with Doze and Mac versions under SoftWindows and MAE respectively.

#6 Re:A Trip Down Memory Lane!

by chouck <chouck@knobproductions.com>

Wednesday October 28th, 1998 9:03 PM

In a desperate plea for attention, I've posted a few ealier versions of the windows browser at <http://www.best.com/~chouck>