DOM Level 2 Conformance Tests Have Moved

Wednesday November 29th, 2000

Bob Clary writes, "The W3C DOM Core Level 2 Conformance Test is available again here. Thanks to Ian (Hixie) Hickson for hosting the site as well as the other generous people who offered to host the site as well."

#1 Mac IE 5?

by NIKITA

Friday December 1st, 2000 11:31 AM

Is there anyway the tests could run on Mac IE 5? I understand that it uses a different rendering engine that Win IE, and I'd like to see how it fares on the test. However, when I try to run it, I get an error message that the test requires Moz M18 or IE 5.5 for Windows.

#2 Re: Mac IE 5?

by rdc

Friday December 1st, 2000 11:56 AM

Unfortunately I don't have a Mac to test with. Can you tell me what the values for the navigator properties are for the Mac version of IE that you want to test ?

navigator.appName = ? navigator.appVersion = ? navigator.userAgent = ?

I would be happy to change the browser test so that you can access the Conformance Test. I will post a response here when the changes are ready. It may take a little while to get the site updated... it depends on whether I can find Hixie.

Would you mind letting me know if you have any problems and if so what they are?

#3 Re: Re: Mac IE 5?

by NIKITA

Friday December 1st, 2000 12:14 PM

Why does the test need to check these values at all? Is there a reason that it can't just load and run?

It seems that having the test pages check for certain browser versions just makes more work for yourself. What if someone wanted to test Konqueror in KDE or Voyager on QNX? Those would have to be coded in by hand too.

Is there a reason why the browser test can't just be removed?

#4 Re: Re: Mac IE 5?

by NIKITA

Friday December 1st, 2000 12:15 PM

Why does the test need to check these values at all? Is there a reason that it can\'t just load and run?

Is there a reason why the browser test can\'t just be removed?

#5 Re: Re: Mac IE 5?

by NIKITA

Friday December 1st, 2000 12:15 PM

Is there a reason why the browser test can\'t just be removed?

#6 Re: Re: Mac IE 5?

by NIKITA

Friday December 1st, 2000 12:19 PM

Is there a reason why the browser test can\'t just be removed?

#7 Why limit the tests to certain browsers...

by rdc

Friday December 1st, 2000 12:49 PM

That is a good question.

Originally, these tests were part of a site where a dynamic pull down menu was use to navigate the site. It was implemented using the W3C DOM and could not be handled at all by legacy browsers such as Netscape 4.x or IE 4.x. In addition, some of the code in the site used (uses) try catch blocks which gives 3.x browsers fits. So I limited the kinds of browsers that could enter the site at all.

In an effort to broaden the audience I was reaching, I removed the dynamic menu code and replaced it with frames based navigation. This left most of the site accessible to any browser. But I left the Browser checks in for the remainder of the site where Javascript is used. I did this primarily because I have limited resources to test with and could not imagine how my code would act under arbitrary browsers. Rather than risk the bad press I might get if my code failed on Platform X, I just limited the code to those platforms I could test.

Hopefully as more and more people get involved in the project, it will be possible to test other platforms and make sure that the code operates correctly on those platforms. That is why I asked for information about the kind of browser you wish to use. With your help, I can extend the number of browsers supported by the test.

But why limit the browsers at all? Frankly, I don't want to get in the situation where someone who decides that Navigator 3.01 should be able to run the tests and then flames me endlessly for the numerous errors he detected. I made a conscious decision some time ago that I would not waste any more of my time on the older legacy browsers.

That does not mean that I am not interested in the other modern browsers such as Opera that may be able to take the tests. It only means I have no way of testing them currently and will not release the Conformance tests to browsers that have not been determined to support the minimal requirements of the code.

What has this got to do with you, you may ask. You are interested primarily in the Conformance tests. I believe that any browser that supported at least Javascript 1.2 could have at least attempted the Conformance test. Unfortunately a scroll bar bug in Mozilla forced me to temporarily use a proprietrary feature (innerHTML) that is available in Internet Explorer and Mozilla, but not anywhere else as far as I know. This use of innerHTML is only for outputing the test results and is not used during the actual conformance tests. Once the scroll bar bug in Mozilla is fixed, I intend to replace innerHTML with a more portable means of outputing the results. It would then be possible to relax the browser requirements.

If you want me to extend the range of browsers supported by the Conformance Tests, I will be happy to do so. But you must help me make sure that the tests are properly written for the platform/browser you wish to test.

You can:

1) help test the code on your platform

2) donate machines and software so that I may develop and test the code on the platform of your choice.

;)

Bob

#8 Re: Why limit the tests to certain browsers...

by KaiRo <KaiRo@KaiRo.at>

Friday December 1st, 2000 2:49 PM

Hmm, just an idea: Why not place a disclaimer on the main page telling the users that this page is only tested with certain browsers, instead of closing out all others?

In that case you wouldn't get flames by users using different browsers, and ppl would be able to use try those tests on those browsers...

What do you think?

#9 Re: Re: Why limit the tests to certain browsers...

by rdc

Friday December 1st, 2000 3:14 PM

That is an idea. But my experience tells me that people won't read any disclaimer... most don't seem to read the blurb explaining the test itself.

Actually, what I really am looking forward to is when the source is publicly available via CVS. Then we can all work together to make the tests work on all of the relevant browsers. Hopefully that will happen in the near future.

Is anyone interested in getting involved?

Bob

#10 Browser Info for Mac IE 5

by NIKITA

Saturday December 2nd, 2000 12:27 PM

First of all, let me apologize for posting so many copies of my previous message. I was in the middle of doing several things at work, and messed things up.

I understand your reasons for not wanting to make the tests run w/o first checking the version of the browser. As requested, here is the information for Macintosh IE 5.0 :

navigator.appCodeName = Mozilla navigator.appName = undefined navigator.appVersion = 4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0; Macintosh; I; PPC) navigator.platform = MacPPC

Please let me know if you need any other information.

Thanks again for all of your work on these tests.

--derek

#11 Re: Browser Info for Mac IE 5

by rdc

Monday December 4th, 2000 10:05 AM

Sorry for the delay in responding... I am in the process of reorganizing the pages and scripts for more permanent hosting and shared access via CVS.

I will be updating my old site on Mindspring soon to reflect the new organization and would like to use that site to test how the test suite runs under Mac IE 5.0. I can more quickly and easily update that site which would allow me to respond quickly to any problems you might encounter. Once we are certain that the test will run properly on Mac IE 5.0, I can update bcTestFrame.damowmow.com and allow everyone to try it out. If you would send me am email, I will respond when the reorganization is ready and we can arrange for you to test Mac IE 5.0.

Does that sound ok?

If anyone else would like additional browsers supported by the Conformance Test, please email me with information regarding the browser such as navigator.appName, navigator.appVersion, navigator.userAgent and I will arrange a test to see if the Conformance test performs properly on your browser.

Thanks, Bob

#12 New Stuff available at bctestframe.damowmow.com

by rdc

Thursday December 21st, 2000 6:55 AM

Several changes have been made to the site at bctestframe.damowmow <http://bctestframe.damowmow.com.>

First, the browser restrictions have been lifted from the DOM Test Frame. This has revealed that the Test Frame does not work properly except for IE 5.5 or Netscape6/Mozilla. This is not due to the DOM tests, but due to the nature of the Test Framework used to conduct the DOM Tests.

The Test Framework was designed to be able to perform different test suites by dynamically loading the tests cases for a Test Suite. This gives great flexibility in developing different Test Suites, but limits the kind of browsers that can be tested.

It is possible to customize the Test Framework for the DOM tests so that a browser does not need to load test cases dynamically. This would *possibly* allow other browsers such as IE 5.0 and Opera to perform the DOM Tests. I will try to add that in the near future.

Other changes include the addition of the other content from my personal web site so that you can read the associated documentation; fixing several bugs in the site navigation; the beginning of the rewrite of the manpages in DocBook format; continuing reorganization of the site for CVS access; a version indicator in the banner to show what revision of the site is being hosted; etc.

I will be adding access to several tools, experiments, and demonstrations that are not currently available through the site navigation. Please check back occasionally to see if anything interesting has been added.

As always, I am interested in any feedback, comments, criticisms or suggestions you may have.

Thanks, Bob