NGLayout Engine To Be In Communicator 5.0

Monday October 26th, 1998

NGLayout will be the layout engine for Communicator 5.0. Expect the news to appear on the mozilla.org site soon.

#1 Re:NGLayout Engine To Be In Communicator 5.0

by HoserHead <hoserhead@bigfoot.com>

Monday October 26th, 1998 8:04 PM

(This response is hinged on the hope that this is true) Let me say that I didn't see this coming a mile away. Must suck to be someone who was working long and hard on Mariner; I suppose, however, that this will pay off in the long run - I've observed NGLayout to be about an order of magnitude faster than Communicator 4.x, and apparently it's going to support nifty things like web standards. ;) I'd love to contribute to Mozilla; maybe I will soon, but right now I'm a very, _very_ happy (advanced) end-user.

#2 Re:NGLayout Engine To Be In Communicator 5.0

by Mike Shaver <shaver@netscape.com>

Monday October 26th, 1998 8:39 PM

I hacked Mariner (not so long, but pretty hard) and I'm not sad to see it replaced by NGLayout. It's the right thing, and mozilla.org's site will have more about why RSN. (Latest ETA is midnight PST.)

#3 Re:NGLayout Engine To Be In Communicator 5.0

by Joel Caris <joel_caris@iname.com>

Monday October 26th, 1998 8:45 PM

Ok, I admit it. I threw my hands in the air and cheered when I read the headline. This is such great news. I bet this is going to make Netscape the darling of the development community. The Web Standards Project will be happy, happy, happy. And hopefully their wrath will then be turned on Microsoft.

God, I can't wait for the 5.0 beta.

Joel Caris

#4 Re:NGLayout Engine To Be In Communicator 5.0

by Anonymous Coward

Monday October 26th, 1998 11:09 PM

This _is_ the 5.0 beta - better to do (beta) testing now than later.

#5 Re:NGLayout Engine To Be In Communicator 5.0

by Joel Caris <joel_caris@iname.com>

Monday October 26th, 1998 11:20 PM

I meant the Netscape-released 5.0 beta coming out by the end of the year.

Joel Caris

#6 Re:NGLayout Engine To Be In Communicator 5.0

by arielb <haviv@erols.com>

Tuesday October 27th, 1998 10:18 AM

YES!!! Now I'm proud to support Mozilla

#7 Re:NGLayout Engine To Be In Communicator 5.0

by Alex Chudnovsky <b9678050@wlv.ac.uk>

Tuesday October 27th, 1998 2:25 PM

hi all.

I used to try out NGlayout on Win32 (yes, yes), a few days ago. It's nice, but although seemed to be large (huge), perhaps debug build. Although that's might be OK for browser, but I guess we should forget to inherit it into apps. However, what really borthers me is that it seems source code is being hacked by Netscape guys most of time, while it apperead for me that other developers do not take part!!! Taking part as developer for me not bug reports. I looked a few times at full list of changes into code, and most of time it was done by Netscape again.

It appeared for me that whole strategy of Netscape to get people work on code failed, or maybe i am wrong?

I personally would like to change few things, but alas i consider code too buggy and me having little time to sink in bugs. I want add _features_, not browse in bugs. When codebase will be in release state then i would join with pleasure! I guess i am not alone with such thoughts.

your replies are welcome :)

Alex

#8 Re:NGLayout Engine To Be In Communicator 5.0

by arielb

Tuesday October 27th, 1998 3:24 PM

you know Alex, alot of developers are waiting to add features instead of dealing with lots of bugs. When Netscape made their first announcement, people expected open source for a completed browser-not pre-alpha code. That's why the really cool stuff will only begin after Netscape 5.

#9 Re:NGLayout Engine To Be In Communicator 5.0

by Chris Croome <chris@atomism.demon.co.uk>

Tuesday October 27th, 1998 6:18 PM

Hi

This is the best web news I have heard for the last year :-)

(Well at least the best news since the source code release was announced!)

At last Netscape seems to have realised that building *browsers*, not portals, news readers or anything else is what matters (well to me anyway).

Chris

#10 Re:NGLayout Engine To Be In Communicator 5.0

by Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>

Wednesday October 28th, 1998 12:20 AM

how else to say this...

COOOOOOOLLLL!!!!

The tired, tired, tired Mosaic bones can at last be buried, here on the threshold of the Promised Land.

Like Chris says, never underestimate the power of a zealot. ;^)

#11 Re:NGLayout Engine To Be In Communicator 5.0

by Jim

Wednesday October 28th, 1998 11:46 AM

But you forget, Chris, that even though building a more solid browser matters a great deal, they do not generate revenues from Navigator or Communicator anymore. Instead, Netscape has been forced to branch out into other areas such as the portal service, for instance, in order to generate money. The last I heard, about 1/4 of their revenues came from the advertisements on the portal.

Nonetheless, I applaud the decision to implement the NGLayout engine in the next generation browser.

#12 Re:NGLayout Engine To Be In Communicator 5.0

by Tekhir

Thursday October 29th, 1998 7:45 AM

Your right Jim, but a browser that is smaller and faster and that fully supports standards (well CSS1, XML and DOM 1 for sure) will be good for business.

#13 Re:NGLayout Engine To Be In Communicator 5.0

by Niels Larsen <niels@vitro.cme.msu.edu>

Thursday October 29th, 1998 10:52 AM

Sounds to me like this has the potential of becoming a complete web desktop. Why doesnt Netscape w encourage development of a GTK based web-desktop on top of the GNU/Linux system. Or at least set up ties with GNOME and KDE, why should KDE for example develop its own file manager/browser. Their reason could be to provide a free Netscape desktop, that could pull their other business along and give Bill some comb for his hair.

#14 Web-Desktop

by Amir E. Aharoni <amir_e_a@netvision.net.il>

Thursday October 29th, 1998 12:01 PM

I'd like to second Mr. Larsen -- Mozilla code just cries to become a part of Linux desktop. It has everything in it: web, i18n, and YAY - it's Open Source. I'd also like to add that free font antialiasing code is already available with Gimp. That and a few more tiny usability improvements would make Linux a no-nonsense contender for the end-user and a perfect anti-monopol weapon (not mentioning names :).

#15 5.0 expected when?

by Stephen Donner <sdonner@earthlink.net>

Thursday October 29th, 1998 1:31 PM

As a die-hard Netscape fan I must admit that I am chomping at the bit for the latest browser. 4.5 is okay, but what I'd like to see is multiple POP accounts, alphabatizing bookmarks, and customizable toolbars. Now that 5.0 will have this new layout engine, and most of the other stuff, Netscape can again stomp out it's "competition".

Stephen

#16 Re:NGLayout Engine To Be In Communicator 5.0

by Niels Larsen <niels@vivo.cme.msu.edu>

Thursday October 29th, 1998 2:09 PM

Well if someone other than me think a GTK based Netscape Web-desktop sounds right .. could someone who has Netscapes ear please try to discuss it with them. I can imagine a decent list of arguments why, but other can probably make an even better one. It should make lots of sense for Netscape businesswise. Since its a pretty obvious thought, is it already underway? are we going to see free Intel/Netscape/Redhat desktops? Btw, instead of fighting over "free software" or "open-source", how about "public software"? Few non-computer consumers associate anything with "-source", and its bad to have a name that few understands. With "public software" most think of PBS and other good public resources.

#17 Re:NGLayout Engine To Be In Communicator 5.0

by Guy Honore <guyh@ntserver3.quotron.com>

Saturday October 31st, 1998 3:26 PM

Thank you Netscape for listening to us! Don't worry, take the few extra months as necessary to make 5.0 the best it can be: DHTML compliant, fast, configurable, and (hopefully) embeddable as an Active-X object (take THAT, Microsoft!). You will regain market share, and that will drive the NetCenter revenues to critical mass. Good luck, we want you back!