MozillaZine

Quick News

Friday October 20th, 2000

ZuperDee writes in: "mozilla.org now has some news that Roger B. Sidje will be giving a talk about MathML in Mozilla."

Eric Hodel has written a new sidebar panel that displays the links of the page as a clickable list. Check it out at his website

Asa wants to remind you, "Don't forget to check out the BuildBar and comments for the most up to date build status you can get without getting on IRC. Daily build status usually contains information on any new features, major bugs, major bug fixes and contribution highlights.."

Last but not least, Will Sargent pointed us to an experimental script that allows you to create a Mozilla sidebar panel for an RSS data source of your choice.


#15 Re: Re: Buildbar comments

by leafdigital

Monday October 23rd, 2000 7:02 AM

You are replying to this message

"mozilla.org provides courtesy binaries of the Mozilla browser for QA and testing purposes. "if you are using Mozilla as your standard browser..." then why are you updating daily?"

Because there are enough things still not working right that I'd like it to get better? And because I'd like any bugs I file (admittedly very few recently - I don't consider mys'elf knowledgeable enough to file bugs, those I have filed were all duplicates, and yes I did search carefully, and yes I have worked in environments with similar bugtracking systems, but without being intimately familiar with the entire project it's too difficult), or talkback reports, to be current and useful?

"Our daily builds are for development and testing, not for end user browsing...It wouldn't be worth my time to cater to folks who don't give back...If you aren't helping to make Mozilla better, then your needs don't mean much to me."

Only by having people use it as their real browser will you generate sufficient information on bugs etc. If people are only using it specifically for testing, you won't get anywhere near as much information.

Even talkback information surely assists the bugfixing process, by providing information on which sites are likely to crash the browser, etc.

Let's suppose that I browse the web (for work or pleasure, whatever) for 2 hours per day. That is 2 hours of different sites, potential to spot crash bugs, etc.

I cannot allocate 2 hours of my time each day to Mozilla testing! (Well, unless somebody pays me. Even then, I'm not sure I have the time to fit it in, and other things would fall by the wayside.) But if it can work as part of my general browsing, then yes it can fit.

Mozilla gets more testing; I get a better browser. Where's the problem?

As I said, I find the buildbar useful, and it helps make Mozilla better by encouraging more people who would like to use Mozilla as a user (and contribute to the testing effort that way) to participate. I think you should consider it in that spirit. Say that 100,000 people are interested in the Mozilla project; now say that maybe 10% of those can afford serious time on testing etc. If you can capture the other 90% and have them use the browser, this should dramatically help in coverage of websites, tracking rare crash bugs, etc.

--sam