New Stuff At Mozdev.org

Friday September 29th, 2000

A couple of interesting things at Mozdev.org. First, Pete Collins has written an "Hello World" package example to help people with the new packaging structure. It also includes a note from Dave Hyatt on the state of the packaging system.

Nightly builds of the ThemeBuilder (Chameleon) and Aphrodite. You can find links to the nightly .xpi files (you need to install them from within Mozilla) for Chameleon on its installation page, and for Aphrodite on its installation page. Pete is working to get the .xpi nightlies behaving properly in the new packaging system. I was told that he is hoping to get them functional by the end of the week.

Also, Forumzilla now has a page at mozdev.org. Forumzilla is a great app -- check it out if you get a chance.

#1 UI looking good

by Mazen <mazen@artmagic.com>

Friday September 29th, 2000 10:56 AM

The modern UI has greatly improved over the past couple of weeks. It is now to the point that I have switched back to it as my default UI.

I know that this suggestion is WAY too late, but I think that the menu, icon and link bars should float instead of "folding in". The advantage is that people can place as many of these menues as they want on one line, as they can do with IE.

Mozilla is now far better than IE in most ways and I think that moveable menu bars can help power users balance screen real estate and access to menu functions.

#14 Float vs. fold

by leafdigital

Wednesday October 4th, 2000 7:41 AM

I don't care if they float, but it would be very nice to turn off the little 'float' arrows.

They're ugly as hell, and if I want to turn on/off those bars, I'll do so from the convenient "View" menu that is right there...

--sam

#2 aphrodite working w/mac?

by Waldo

Friday September 29th, 2000 12:11 PM

I installed but I have no idea how to get it running... thanks

#3 Re: aphrodite working w/mac?

by petejc <pete@mozdev.org>

Friday September 29th, 2000 5:39 PM

Waldo! Whats up?

I don't think it will work w/ the mac. But this is n my list to do. Infact i will go file a bug against myself.

--pete

#9 Hey Pete!

by Waldo

Saturday September 30th, 2000 3:59 PM

Not much, busy, ya know.

Yeah, no success on the mac. But if you can get it working, that'd be great as I haven't been able to use Aphro for months now ;)

W

#4 Forumzilla!

by ronin

Friday September 29th, 2000 8:31 PM

I must say that Forumzilla is nice. While I'm sure it can and will get better with some time and work, it's an excellent beginning.

I love the fact that it lets you cut directly to the heart of discussion based sites and get to the content.

Keep up the good work!

#5 works or not?

by sdm

Saturday September 30th, 2000 11:07 AM

Does the Chameleon nightly xpi work or not? On the front page in the news section it says it's working "again," but there's a bug filed yesterday saying it's been broken for a week.

#10 Re: works or not?

by petejc <pete@mozdev.org>

Saturday September 30th, 2000 6:11 PM

Everything was broken for a week. But now Chameleon and the nightly xpi is working. If you have trouble w/ it please let me know.

--pete

#12 Re: works or not?

by escowles <escowles@gort.ucsd.edu>

Sunday October 1st, 2000 4:39 PM

It isn't working for me. I just downloaded today's (2000.10.01) nightly and neither the 0.01 nor the nightly xpi worked for me.

The installer runs and it looks like it's copying files over, but no menu item ever shows up. Anybody else seeing this?

#13 Re: Re: works or not?

by petejc <pete@mozdev.org>

Monday October 2nd, 2000 12:52 PM

I don't have the menuitems hooked up in the nightlies.

I updated the install instructions. <http://chameleon.mozdev.org/installation.html>

--pete

#6 size of nightlies

by aegis <aegisk@iastate.edu>

Saturday September 30th, 2000 1:01 PM

Why are they so large nowadays?

#7 Re: size of nightlies

by basic <_basic@yahoo.com>

Saturday September 30th, 2000 3:06 PM

Have not been downloading nightlies because of this reason. Does anyone have an idea as to why they are so big?

#8 twice the chrome

by uksi

Saturday September 30th, 2000 3:35 PM

I think that's because chromes are present both .JAR and in separate files. So you're effectively downloading twice the chrome with nightlies.

Look at the installer build (it has all that test crap stripped): it's around 6-7 megs.

#11 Re: twice the chrome

by basic <_basic@yahoo.com>

Saturday September 30th, 2000 8:52 PM

Hmmm... hope this will be fixed soon