New Poll!

Friday August 4th, 2000

We have updated the poll to ask the question, how do you like your bookmarks? This has been a hot topic for the last few days, so we wanted to see how everyone felt about the removal of the bookmarks menu from the personal toolbar.

The last poll, how do you like your taskbar, was 2:1 in favor of a single taskbar. Vote away!

#1 bookmarks in NS

by billi_kid

Friday August 4th, 2000 7:25 PM

bookmarks have so pretty place in NS4.xx

#2 confused

by johnlar <johnlar@tfn.net>

Friday August 4th, 2000 8:29 PM

Ok I'm slightly confused. The bookmark menu is STILL IN the personal toolbar?? what are you talking about??

#3 Re: confused

by kerz <jason@mozillazine.org>

Saturday August 5th, 2000 12:03 AM

It is out of the new trunk builds (m18). We want to know where you want to see it.

#4 phantom_1138

by phantom_1138 <phantom_1138@yahoo.com>

Saturday August 5th, 2000 2:40 AM

I want the old style like Netscape. I hate IE style.

#21 Yes, PLEASE!!

by isaacg

Sunday August 6th, 2000 9:08 PM

Netscape 4's bookmark button placement is perfect. Keep it that way! On the menubar is nice too.

#5 Is Previous Poll Result gonna be acted on?

by TonyG <tony.gorman@blueyonder.co.Yuk>

Saturday August 5th, 2000 4:46 AM

Are the Mozilla team gonna create a single task bar as the poll suggests this is definitely popular?

#6 Is Previous Poll Result gonna be acted on?

by TonyG <tony.gorman@blueyonder.co.Yuk>

Saturday August 5th, 2000 4:47 AM

#7 PLUG: Check out my skin

by biswapesh

Saturday August 5th, 2000 7:17 AM

Check out my skin at <http://www.geocities.com/Biswapesh/> - it is the classic images-only skin with integrated taskbuttons and status bar.

#8 Sidebar...

by Brendon <forbiddentears@crosswinds.net>

Saturday August 5th, 2000 7:29 AM

Though i'm sure it will take me some more time to get used to i believe the Sidebar provides a great place to store bookmarks and also makes them easy accessable, just as easy as the button on the personal toolbar. It's simply a matter of getting used to using the Sidebar, I am sure that if the button remains in its place and stays that way long after Mozilla's release people would simply be used to using the sidebar and prefer it over the bookmarks button if not only because the Sidebar will rarely be closed if using an instant messenger, or anyother feature. btw, speaking of bookmarks in the Sidebar, will there be a "Add Current Page" option in the Sidebar?

#9 Re: Sidebar...

by Brendon <forbiddentears@crosswinds.net>

Saturday August 5th, 2000 7:37 AM

*blink*.. hmmm, that message made alot of sense... *reads the subject of the poll again* Oh well, its early.

#13 Re: Sidebar...

by Kovu <Kovu401@netscape.net>

Saturday August 5th, 2000 2:22 PM

Sidebar isn't good enough. See my post further down. I want to be able to drag my bookmarks from the URL window and deposit them in the submenu I want it in.

#16 Re: Re: Sidebar...

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Sunday August 6th, 2000 2:03 AM

and dragging and dropping a bookmark into the appropriate submenu in the sidebar wouldnt work?

#10 Accessable ? :-)

by rkl

Saturday August 5th, 2000 1:45 PM

Just a minor point that it should be "accessible" not "accessable". Doesn't make any difference to me because I memorise all my URLs and type them in by hand - what a sad individual I am :-) Still, it stops much gnashing of teeth that people get when the browser chews up their bookmarks file :-)

#11 Re: Accessable ? :-)

by Brendon <forbiddentears@crosswinds.net>

Saturday August 5th, 2000 1:52 PM

urgh.. i know i know, i need spelling and grammar lessons, but hey bet you cant speak perfect dutch ;)

#12 PTB

by Kovu <Kovu401@netscape.net>

Saturday August 5th, 2000 2:17 PM

In 4.x you can pick up a URL (that little bookmark icon to the left of it) and drag it into your bookmarks folder and deposit it in the exact submenu where you want it. If they don't allow me that option in 6, I'm gonna be pissed.

#14 Same Here

by Tekhir

Saturday August 5th, 2000 5:44 PM

That's a very useful feature.

#15 not too worried

by archen

Sunday August 6th, 2000 1:17 AM

actually I'd been using N4 for years, although I just figured that out a few months ago (and now I use it all the time).

You can see that the framework for that feature is already in moz. If you move the mouse cursor over the bookmark icon in the urlbar it becomes the hand. If you drag it into the text part of the url bar, it will paste in the url again. Moving stuff around with the bookmark manager also is pretty easin and like it was in N4. I think all they have left to do is to basically connect the pieces.

#17 Old school style!

by efk <efk@redshirt.com>

Sunday August 6th, 2000 12:49 PM

I really like the style that was used in ns3. (in windows) you could put an ampersand (&) infront of a letter and it would be come a hot key. This way, you could get to any bookmark with your keyboard ONLY. Another nice feature is that after a while you memorize key strokes and slashdot becomes "Alt-bns" -- granted it is a pain to find a key that isn't used yet, but after a while, it becomes simple!

#18 GOOD!

by leier911

Sunday August 6th, 2000 7:07 PM

I like them in the both bars. Maybe even and option for the sidebar

#19 Bookmarks

by debrain

Sunday August 6th, 2000 8:29 PM

There seems to be a bit of a discrepency between what people refer to as bookmarks and what people refer to as favorites. You see, one must pointedly (pardon the pun) enter bookmarks, for future reference, but favorites should be retained from some simple pattern recognition (# visits, for example, but date weighting is valuable -- contact me for discussion) tied to web page history.

I believe that users are more comfortable with implicit favorites (favorites by my definition above) than they are with explicit bookmarks, although both have a place. I believe that both should be offered, rigid user-specified bookmarks (ie. click: add bookmark) and favorites based on pattern recognition usage/browsing.

Where these go in the system, cosmetically, isn't particularly important so long as the bookmarks and favorites (as per the definitions above) data is available. I am not sure this is the kind of response merited by your question, but I hope it's food for thought. :-)

#20 Bookmarks

by debrain

Sunday August 6th, 2000 8:35 PM

#22 Re: Bookmarks

by locka <adamlock@eircom.net>

Monday August 7th, 2000 3:53 AM

There's probably enough exposed to Javascript already that someone could write a "Favorites" panel, querying the history for the top ten most visited sites or whatever.

The problem with naming the panel "Favorites", is A) IE users will be confused because it doesn't mean the same thing, B) English speakers outside the US get irked by the incorrect spelling.

#23 Bookmarks

by mjbjr

Monday August 7th, 2000 1:01 PM

Personally, I *never* use the bookmark menu, I always use a separate Manage/Edit bookmarks window. When you have hundreds of bookmarks in and out of 60+ folders, that expanding bookmark menu "functionality" of Netscape doesn't cut it.

Having the bookmarks in the sidebar is quite similiar to what I currently use, but I suspect, in the long run, using a separate window would prove to be more flexible.

Currently, none of the browsers I use (Netscape 4.7, Moz 16, Moz nightly, and Galeon) implement 3 of the features necessary, IMO, for bookmark management:

1) list scroll on drag (nightly does, sidebar, netscape don't) 2) insert bookmark into the list 3) selected bookmark opens page in the current window (Netscape does, moz opens new window)

#24 Bookmarks

by daddydago <fredjudi@mediaone.net>

Tuesday August 8th, 2000 3:37 PM

I can't understand you programers you have to mess with shit. What's wrong with the Bookmarks? All those brains, but not a lick of common sense. What ever happened to "If it works don't fix it" I wish you would leave well enough alone, and get busy on trying to fix the bugs. If anyone might be wondering I'm just a devoted NETSCAPE consumer. who thinks MSIE sucks. Thank you for this time to express my feelings

#25 Re: Bookmarks

by coolqf <coolqf@yahoo.com>

Wednesday August 9th, 2000 11:16 AM

The way that the bookmarks for Netscape 4.x works is pretty old. the change from Netscape 4.x to netscape 6 should be like win 3.1 to win 98 (only without the annoying bugs. hopefully : ) ) Win 3.1 worked.... now why did they go on and make such changes... in the end the system was much buggier. an.. but it was also better when it worked! If you use AIM I think that this would be a great feature... you would be able to use the sidebar to do searches on the net put them in your favorites, use AIM, have your own little personalized website to read important news and weather and so forth. In my opinion the IE 'favorites' is better than the Netscape 'bookmarks'. With this new change I think that Netscape's new bookmark would be better than IEs

#26 How powerul will the sidebar be?

by coolqf <coolqf@yahoo.com>

Wednesday August 9th, 2000 11:26 AM

This idea pretty out their.... here it is. Will Netscape 6 be able to work like 'Windows Explorer'? like just looking through you hardrive with the same comfortability? I was thinking that lets say the microsoft appeal case ends in like 1yr and a half... they would have to remove IE from the windows platform, and the intergrated webbrowser has hit big. I think everybody prefers a intergrated web browser... and if consumers want that then companies like compaq would place the web browser in. Now... what if that web browser was Netscape 6? What if a person when buying a computer through the internet could customize it to come intergrated with their system? The company could also put it that when the user turns on the computerhe would get the option to intergrate a webbrowser with the system. like 'yes' 'no' or 'remind me later'. Come on, lets admit it... people that get computers have a high percentage chance of also using the net. so in a way a web browser is required when a new computer is bought. any body think that i'm seeing this is a wrong way or that this idea truly has possibilities. the appeal and all the changes have like a total of 3 yrs so it's no real hurry.. just thinking of the future

#27 What the hell where they thinking...

by design4use

Wednesday August 9th, 2000 7:21 PM

...you probably ask yourself. Here is the reasoning that led us to remove the bookmarks menu button on the personal toolbar: Usability data has shown us that in its current incaranation both the bookmarks button and the menu were the same for end users. They got confused and were not sure why both were there. Most users as I recall still use the menu more often than the button. The original reason for having both there was that the menu is always accessible and offers keyboard navigation and that the Bookmarks bar bookmarks button enabled you to do minimal managing of bookmarks (like drag into folders, inline rename and rearranging of stuff while open, (remember Moz classic two years ago?). With that not available currently and probably not for NS6 RTM it simply did not make sense to have both similar access points. We should revisit once we have a chance to have that extended functionality available.

#28 Bookmarks, History, Send Page, Save with images..

by alik

Friday August 11th, 2000 12:08 AM

Hi All,

I hope i have not left it too late before i add my 2 penny bit..

1. Bookmarks: I prefer 4.xx style. But I had a poll at work and other prefer side bookmarks. Can we not have it both available? with 4.xx being the default style?

2. History: History is fine the way it is.. I hate the IE style. But i do like the way you can have it in folders. Maybe "Snap into folders" option be nice

3. Send Page: I love the 4.xx Send page option. Mozilla also has a Send Link option in the File Menu. Can you also have these two option in the Context Menu (like we did in 4.xx). It is nothing major, but does make life easier.

4. Save With Images: There was a plug-in for 4.xx by some comaply which you had tp ay for and it added an link in the Flie menu allowing you to save a web page with images. IE has this feature built in. How about addig this to Mozilla?

5. Upload File: Now that Mozilla has such a wonderful FTP interface.. why not also add the Upload File option we have in 4.xx

Thanx Ali K