Communicator 4.5 Released!!!

Friday October 16th, 1998

Scratch that last post! 4.5 is out at the ftp sites! Hit ftp.netscape.com - ftp13.netscape.com to get yours! Mac, Win, and 25 different Unix flavors for your enjoyment!

#1 Re:Communicator 4.5 Released!!!

by Jason Kersey

Saturday October 17th, 1998 12:56 AM

Mmmmmmmmmm. Speed!

#2 Re:Communicator 4.5 Released!!!

by Joel Caris

Saturday October 17th, 1998 1:08 AM

The file's now available on Netscape's actual download page, not just the FTP site.

Includes 128-bit encryption.

#3 Re:Communicator 4.5 Released!!!

by Gustaf Nilsson

Saturday October 17th, 1998 5:27 AM

On the downloadpage it says:

"AOL and Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.0 users! You will not be able to download a file that exceeds 12.4MB. All latest versions of Communicator exceed this file size. You will need to download and install a smaller and an earlier version of Navigator and use it to download Communicator 4.5. Sorry for the inconvenience."

Wouldn't it have been a good idea to make a small downloader application like the one Microsoft has for IE4, or direct them to a FTP where they can use a FTP program instead?

#4 Re:Communicator 4.5 Released!!!

by Geoff Rivell

Saturday October 17th, 1998 6:36 AM

What would be the problems with the GLIBC2 version of Netscape 4.5? It's under unsupported, so what bugs would it have, etc? And what features?

Thanks.

#5 Re:Communicator 4.5 Released!!!

by Michael Smith

Saturday October 17th, 1998 7:59 AM

Like the version 5's it won't run on my linux box, giving the unhelpful error "no such file or directory". Anyone else seen this?

#6 Re:Communicator 4.5 Released!!!

by Jason

Saturday October 17th, 1998 11:42 AM

Well, after extended usage of 4.5, I have to say that it is excellent. The speed is awsome, Java loads in under 10 seconds, getting a huge newsgroup goes astonishingly fast, and just overall speed is up. The browser war may be over, but someone forgot to tell the engineers this!

Now that 4.5 is done, we get all the developers to work on 5.0. Life is looking up in Netscape browser land!

#7 Re:Communicator 4.5 Released!!!

by Luke Holden

Saturday October 17th, 1998 6:57 PM

They packaged the glibc2 version as libc5.. OOPS!!! They plan to fix this soon. But untill then Im using the version for linux 1.2 (its compiled agenst libc5 and seems to work allright)

#8 Smooth. *sarcasm*

by Tumbleweed

Saturday October 17th, 1998 11:17 PM

1) No standalone (yet?) 2) Tables still broken, as in all versions of Navigator ever. See tumbleweed.net/tabletest.html for proof. No acknowledgement of bug reports I've sent. 3) Frames still broken, as in all version of Navigator that do frames. Also no acknowledgement of bug reports I've sent. See tumbleweed.net/frametest.html for proof.

Let's hope they can get these things fixed in v5.0. I *really* hope project Perignon fixes the CSS - it's *really bad*. Ugh.

At least with 4.5 we can turn off that "What's Related" button. :)

v4.07 was *rock solid* - let's hope 4.5 proves the same. 4.07 was the most-solid browser I've ever used!

#9 Rock Solid???

by JearBear

Sunday October 18th, 1998 10:56 AM

Ummmmmmmmmm.......any product that crashes when I try to change it's prefs is NOT rock solid - I'm going back to 4.07!

#10 NOT rock solid

by Michael Babcock

Sunday October 18th, 1998 1:05 PM

First, like all netscapes it has horrible memory leak problems.

Second, it has hang problems. Set it to pop up a window when it wants to accept a cookie. Then use the right mousebutton to popup a menu to go back. Browse around a lot. Sometimes when you click the right-popup menu and a cookie dialog pops up at the same time, you're mouse is grabbed and you are stuck. This is probably a Motif problem (like everything) but it needs to be worked around!

#11 still no standalone?

by Tumbleweed

Monday October 19th, 1998 11:36 AM

I thought maybe the standalone might just be delayed, but still no sign of it - anyone know if there is going to BE a standalone for version 4.5?

#12 Re:Communicator 4.5 Released!!!

by Dean Paxton

Wednesday October 21st, 1998 12:00 AM

Hey! Where is "Host on Demand?" I was deploying this for my mainframers to pull late night production changes over the web, at thier homes... they loved it! What am I gonna tell them now?

#13 4.5 is crashprone

by Tumbleweed

Wednesday October 21st, 1998 10:30 AM

*sigh*

Well, after having used 4.5 for a while under Windows 98, I can now determine it's time to step back to 4.5. It crashes way too often. *shrug*

Not that there was any real benefit to me in using 4.5, anyway - it seemed to be yet another exercise in adding new features without fixing bugs that have been in the product since v1.0. :(

Why was this released two months early?! It shows...

#14 whoops