Amiga and Netscape - Can't We All Just Get Along?

Wednesday July 12th, 2000

James Russell (aka Kovu) has written up a piece at amiga.org on the Amiga and Netscape relationship, giving his reasons for the Amiga community to embrace the Mozilla effort for the new Amiga platform.

#1 NG Amiga

by Kovu <Kovu401@netscape.net>

Thursday July 13th, 2000 5:16 AM

Anyone who wants to check out the new Amiga SDK htat runs through Red Hat Linux for now, for drivers, etc. for their new CPU-independent OS, it's available at Amazon.com here: <http://s1.amazon.com/exec…z_4_1/103-4431742-3067029> and there's a review of it up here, with screenshots: <http://www.redloop.com/la…sde/amiga/amiga_sdk_1.php> They claim the the new real-time system runs Java 22 times faster than any other JVM, and from what I've seen, it does.

This post is not so much about porting Moz to the Classic Amiga, which if you read the article I think would be kind of a waste, but to the NEW one. If Jazilla would catch up, this system would be the one to run it on.

BTW: You can code for the new system in either the Virtual Processor code, Java, or C/C++.

#2 Re: NG Amiga

by Tanyel <tanyel@straightblack.com>

Thursday July 13th, 2000 8:13 AM

Is there a Windows compiler that can compile Amiga software?

#7 Not that I know of

by Kovu <Kovu401@netscape.net>

Thursday July 13th, 2000 10:09 AM

You can compile C/C++ programs I believe, to VP code, and I think the same with Java. I'm arguing for a Windows SDK currently, for those who don't want to/can't haggle with Linux, but still you're programming to the new OS, not Windows.

#3 Re: NG Amiga

by basic <_basic@yahoo.com>

Thursday July 13th, 2000 8:37 AM

Amiga sounds like the best platform Moz will run on yet. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to start an Amiga port?

#5 You'd need the SDK

by Kovu <Kovu401@netscape.net>

Thursday July 13th, 2000 10:03 AM

All you'd need is the SDK (and Linux to run it through) and start porting the NSPR module to the new VP code. VP code is really cool, it's assembler but it reminds you of C.

#4 Re: NG Amiga Royalty Madness

by dsaint

Thursday July 13th, 2000 9:02 AM

While NG Amiga is techincally very cool the Amiga SDK that I installed had two separate bits about how I can't distribute freeware without an exemption from Amiga. If you don't get that exemption you have to pay quarterly royalties to Amiga. Did I somehow read that wrong? Doesn't that sound like something even more asinine than Microsoft would do?

#6 Yes, it does sound asanine

by Kovu <Kovu401@netscape.net>

Thursday July 13th, 2000 10:07 AM

I really don't want to comment on this because I don't know the extent of it yet. I'd rather wait until Amiga announces the policy formally, then they can hear my screams of outrage. If nothing else, this platform is good enough to at least have the excuse that it's WORTH paying to program for, but it's still a stupid policy if they do implement it.

#12 Licensing fee waived for 2000, under review

by Kovu <Kovu401@netscape.net>

Friday July 14th, 2000 4:43 PM

Just thought I'd let you know that Amiga has waived the licensing fee for 2000, and the policy in general is under review. We'll see what happens. One can but hope they'll scrap the stupid thing.

#8 Re: NG Amiga

by rgelb <nospam@nospam.com>

Thursday July 13th, 2000 10:36 AM

2 points.

1st: Why does the SDK cost money?

2nd: I doubt very much that it runs Java 22 (twenty two) times faster than any other platform. You got some independent benchmarks? Then cite. Otherwise, it is just more of marketing BS from Amiga.

#9 Your (vaguely hostile) opinion

by Kovu <Kovu401@netscape.net>

Thursday July 13th, 2000 4:36 PM

No, I've seen no benchmarks yet. And notice I said TAO IS CLAIMING in my article, I didn't state it as fact. It isn't my job to prove or disprove the claim, that's not the point of the article. It doesn't matter to me either way, really, I've seen it, and yes it's blazing fast.

No, I don't know why the SDK costs money. I'll warrant it has something to do with A) giving a startup company SOME kind of positive cashflow and B) the fact that the OS is owned by Tao who created Elate. It's a little pricy, yes, but I'm going to shut up and pay it because the platform is definitely worth it IMHO.

#10 Re: Your (vaguely hostile) opinion

by rgelb <nospam@nospam.com>

Thursday July 13th, 2000 6:56 PM

Everytime I hear such outrageous claim, it almost always turns out to be false. Just think about it. If something takes 22 seconds on Windows/Java (in IE or NS for instance), Amiga claims to do the same computation in 1 second? Even native code would have very hard time performing such a feat.

As far as I can tell, Amiga code is running on top of Linux. I would think that all the brains behind Linux would figure out sooner than Amiga how run Java fast.

I see now the reasoning behind charging for SDK, however, it pretty much insures that the "hobbyist" which is really Amiga clientele will not see the SDK.

#11 response

by Kovu <Kovu401@netscape.net>

Thursday July 13th, 2000 8:14 PM

Amiga has a native version, it's just not being implemented at this point because of lack of hardware drivers. Their claim isn't through Linux, but through the native version. I've heard that the Linux-hosted version takes a 30-50% speed hit, depending, and that a windows-hosted version has a higher speed hit. The native version of the OS is where they would make that claim, and even through Linux, I saw more than 8 different Java apps running simultaneously at incredible speed. Amiga/Elate's Java implementation is completely clean-room, and approved by Sun. I don't know much more than that, but again, I know it's FAST. Even if their claim of "22 times faster" wasn't true, I would verify from what I've seen that it is the fastest in the industry, but that's just me and what I've seen. I personally think that the new platform is well worth paying for, that you can program code ONCE and have it run literally on ANY major CPU.

As to their pricing structure, I don't particularly agree with it either, but remember they are a startup. They have promised not to enter the application market at all, so they have to make as much money as they can off the OS.