Skinning Mozilla Tutorial Part 3 Now Online

Wednesday June 7th, 2000

Part 3 of our tutorial on skinning Mozilla is now online at the ChromeZone. In it we start the process of skinning Mozilla's navbar. If you haven't already, please check out the first two installments of the series. In part one we introduce you to the Mozilla "chrome" directory structure, and some of the key files involved in creating a skin. In part 2 we start the process of skinning Mozilla by changing the style of the menubar. Together they will give you a good introduction to the process of creating a Mozilla skin, and prepare you for the work done in part 3.

#1 MNG!!!

by basic <_basic@yahoo.com>

Wednesday June 7th, 2000 6:22 PM

according to this post, MNG is on its way!! Now, has the PNG transparency bug been fixed yet?

<news://news.mozilla.org/x…fsf%40boojum.cs.brown.edu>

#3 Re: MNG!!!

by gwalla <gwalla@despammed.com>

Wednesday June 7th, 2000 8:20 PM

Where does it say that MNG is on its way?

And the PNG transparency bug has been fixed, although it uses random dithering instead of true blending on platforms that don't have native blending. C'est la vie

#4 Re: Re: MNG!!!

by basic <_basic@yahoo.com>

Wednesday June 7th, 2000 8:31 PM

the part where it says

> > Oooh! MNG in Mozilla? That would be awesome. Are there any

> > ETA's? Even extremely rough estimates?

> The code in my development tree started displaying animations yesterday. It still needs some polishing before running it past a couple people for reviews and then checking in. Once in, it will probably just be an compile time option on unix (--enable-mng) until it gets more testing and some build help from win32 and macos people.

#5 Native blending?

by leafdigital

Thursday June 8th, 2000 3:54 AM

As I understand it, neither current Win32, nor X, nor current MacOS, include native alpha blending.

Windows 2000 includes alpha blending; MacOS X / Aqua includes alpha blending. But I doubt Mozilla has any features that require these.

So what's the deal? Where does it work properly? It would be insane if it didn't work in Win32. (Ok, so I could just test it on Windows at least...)

--sam

#10 Re: Native blending?

by jamienk <katz@jasperweb.com>

Friday June 9th, 2000 5:44 PM

See

<http://www.w3c.org/Graphics/PNG/inline-alpha-table>

to see PNG alpha transparency in Moz. I think it doesn't QUITE work on Windows yet (but will soon), but it's bee-u-tee-ful on Mac, and I've heard Linux too.

#8 Re: Re: MNG!!!

by basic <_basic@yahoo.com>

Thursday June 8th, 2000 9:07 PM

I just downloaded a nightly build (on Win32) and it still does not work properly. According to the bug report the fix is not checked in yet.

#2 Missing gifs

by centove

Wednesday June 7th, 2000 8:10 PM

This is rather good at demystifying the skin madness.. Though this installment on page three is missing the gifs it refers to.

#6 Huh? I see them (n/t)

by mozineAdmin

Thursday June 8th, 2000 5:24 AM

#7 Oh - sorry about that. Fixed. (n/t)

by mozineAdmin

Thursday June 8th, 2000 5:29 AM

#9 ubhist-keyword-popup

by TonyG <tony.gorman@blueyonder.co.Yuk>

Friday June 9th, 2000 3:16 AM

"ubhist-keyword-popup" (don't ask me what that is, I have no idea).

Am I right in thinking that "ubhist-keyword-popup" is the recently added button allowing users to view the sights they have been to?

Also, is their anyone currently looking at developing this history feature further so that it is more like the NS4/IE4+ location box, which functions as a sort of combo box?

I would be quite interested in doing this if someone was prepared to give me a few minutes of time to point me in right direction...