ZDNet on Mozilla

Tuesday May 30th, 2000

Jedbro writes, "A very interesting and humorous article on Netscape and Mozilla!!! 'The Future Belongs to Dinosaurs'"

#1 Ignorance in the general populace?

by Ryouga

Tuesday May 30th, 2000 10:20 AM

While the article was an interesting read, I found it disturbing that the majority of the first 10 Talkback links (i.e. generally the most clicked upon by people reading the article) were anti-Mozilla/Netscape.

There was one person who equated PR1s early code crashiness under Windows with the poor code used in Communicator ("they both crash often with multiple windows open" so they both suck).

Another was complaining about the speed of PR1 and the "ugly" skin. While these are valid concerns, they are concerns that will be dealt with prior to a N 6 Release. Actually, I must amend that to say that I *hope* that Netscape makes a Communicator skin the default for Netscape 6 because it seems to me (I could obviously be wrong on this) that the general populace would be more comfortable with a lack of change on this front.

#2 re: the ignorant masses

by Luddite

Tuesday May 30th, 2000 10:42 AM

You have to understand (and most developers need to grok this as well) that the general populace is (hopefully) going to be using Netscape6/Mozilla. And their complaints (whether you agree with them or not) and whether they are addressed or not will determine whether Mozilla/Netscape 6 is successful (from a numbers used standpoint) on personal computers.

Sadly, I don't see most of these issues (non native widgets/interface/crashing) to be much of a concern to developers. I'm not going to debate the merits of these issues as they've been debated ad nauseum, but frankly, I don't see much changing on this front - ever.

I bet we'll continue to see most general users leave Netscape/Mozilla on their personal computers even while they use it on phones/webpads/PDAs/whatever over the next couple of years.

It certainly didnt help that PR concerns determined the first experience most general users had when downloading PR1.

#3 Check your spelling before writing articles!

by gwalla <gwalla@despammed.com>

Tuesday May 30th, 2000 11:21 AM

Shouldn't that be "The Future belongs to Dinosaurs"?

Misspellings are OK in comments, since they're just quickly written notes. But articles should have higher standards.

#6 You spelled it the same way!

by jesusX <jesus_x@mozillanews.org>

Tuesday May 30th, 2000 7:39 PM

Where's the problem?

#7 It was corrected

by gerbilpower <gerbil@ucdavis.edu>

Tuesday May 30th, 2000 9:02 PM

I noticed the spelling mistake that gwalla pointed out, but it's now fixed :)

<:3)~~

#4 re: the ignorant masses

by bogado

Tuesday May 30th, 2000 1:32 PM

The problem goes beyond that, there is even uninformed people who are cring that NS6.0 is not standard compliant. And one of the comments would even sujest that standard organization told it so.

"I've found it's much much slower and it's standards support has already been disproven by a number of standards groups" said Ron Pinsky

What I want to know is what standard group said this and what stanard it does not comply (maybe it is not complyant with the MSHTML vs 3.1415926). Because we all know that mozilla is the most standard compliant.

#5 LATE...

by jesusX <jesus_x@mozillanews.org>

Tuesday May 30th, 2000 7:35 PM

I submitted this days ago. Only now it gets posted?

#8 Re: LATE...

by gerbilpower <gerbil@ucdavis.edu>

Tuesday May 30th, 2000 9:03 PM

Well that was 3 day Memorial Day weekend, some people could have went on short vacation, others like me pretended like it was any other day :)

<:3)~~

#9 I ddn't do anything special either...

by jesusX <jesus_x@mozillanews.org>

Wednesday May 31st, 2000 12:28 AM

Except download the latest nightly. =-]