Mozilla Par-tay 3.0!!!

Saturday March 4th, 2000

The second anniversary of Mozilla is just around the corner, and that means another Mozilla party! The Mozilla Party 3.0 is in San Francisco this April 6th at the Sound Factory. The Kofy Brown Band is the musical guest for the bash. To find out more, check out the party flyer. Hopefully we'll have a badass beta to celebrate.

#1 oh poooo ...

by gerbilpower <gerbil@ucdavis.edu>

Saturday March 4th, 2000 4:36 PM

For once in my life I am physically close enough to attend but I am not 21 yet ... oh wellz

<:3)~~

#2 Re: oh poooo ...

by thelem

Saturday March 4th, 2000 5:13 PM

Shi..., I mean poo, I am not close enough or old enough :-)

#3 Re: oh poooo ...

by ERICmurphy <murphye@gmail.com>

Saturday March 4th, 2000 5:48 PM

There is always the fake ID!

haha

#4 heh

by gerbilpower <gerbil@ucdavis.edu>

Saturday March 4th, 2000 6:12 PM

Maybe my HTML t-shirt (<http://copyleft.net/icons/body_front2.jpeg>) will help me in as well :)

Well I'm not a crowd person so I probably wouldn't even if I was old enough. I'll probably be surfing the Internet with Mozilla the night of the party :)

<:3)~~

#5 oopps

by gerbilpower <gerbil@ucdavis.edu>

Saturday March 4th, 2000 6:13 PM

Oops, this is the correct link: <http://copyleft.net/icons/body_front2.jpeg>

<:3)~~

#6 Alternative Party?

by Gerv

Sunday March 5th, 2000 4:02 AM

Do you think there will ever be a Mozilla party for people who, for whatever reason, aren't interested in indulging "perverted tastes" ? :-)

I'm in the UK but, by an incredible stroke of luck, I'm going to be in SF that night. However, call me a geek, but I'd much rather hang out with Moz developers in an environment where talking about Mozilla is possible! :-)

Gerv

#16 Re: Alternative Party?

by PaulA <paula@cnet.com>

Monday March 6th, 2000 2:48 PM

Gerv, it's an odd fact that tech industry parties in San Francisco are never, ever an enviroment in which talking about ANYTHING is possible. Pounding music must drown out all but the odd jubilant scream between old acquaintances.

This may be to ensure that those present are safe from anyone trying to talk about work, which pretty much saturates the remaining 164 hours of the week. But conversely, if you want to talk to Moz developers about Mozilla, a San Francisco party is the last place to try it.

#17 Re: Alternative Party?

by basic <_basic@yahoo.com>

Monday March 6th, 2000 7:30 PM

Sadly one of the best places to "talk" about Moz "live" is irc.mozilla.org

#18 betanews interview?

by basic <_basic@yahoo.com>

Monday March 6th, 2000 7:36 PM

Anyone knows when the betanews folks are going to their interview?

#19 Re: betanews interview?

by gerbilpower <gerbil@ucdavis.edu>

Monday March 6th, 2000 8:48 PM

The betanews original announcement said shortly after M14 8P

<:3)~~

#7 Bah

by Pyro

Sunday March 5th, 2000 6:11 AM

I'm in NY and I'm underage ("only" 16), so I'm out on 2 counts. Don't they know that you've gotta have some younguns there if you want to have a *good* party?

#8 old enough, not rich enough

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Sunday March 5th, 2000 12:56 PM

I got the age but not the funds. If anyone wants to send me airline tickets from Austin to SF I'll be there. :)

#9 Why is it on a Thursday???

by Dan6992

Sunday March 5th, 2000 4:47 PM

I'm finally old enough, I'm close enough (only about 5 hours away) but I have to work on Friday! Why not make the party on Saturday so people from out of town can come without having to miss work???

#10 Why 21 - Others want to GO!!!

by quake2guy

Sunday March 5th, 2000 5:12 PM

Come on guys!!! I have the funds, the transportion, the location (30 min to SF), and the motivation ( I LOOVE to get my hands dirty in the source)!!! But not the friggin age!

Please, I know there are parties and club happin's @ the city where underage is A-OKAY! They server water!!!!

Please, I really want to go and meet some of the folks from Mountain View.

I hope that they change this so as others like myself can join!

<http://andrewstern.freeservers.com>

#11 Under 21?

by whocares

Sunday March 5th, 2000 9:10 PM

For all of you who are under 21 I just thought I'd share a peice of spam I grecieved a few days ago...

"INTERNATIONAL DRIVER'S LICENSE Need a new driver's license? Too many points or other trouble? Want a license that can never be suspended or revoked?

Want ID for nightclubs or hotel check-in?

Avoid tickets, fines, and mandatory driver's education.

Protect your privacy, and hide your identity.

The United Nations gave you the privilege to drive freely throughout the world! (Convention on International Road Traffic of September 19, 1949 & World Court Decision, The Hague, Netherlands, January 21, 1958) Take advantage of your rights. Order a valid International Driver's License that can never be suspended or revoked.

Confidentiality assured. CALL NOW!!! 1-937-586-9313

<guy1245a@yahoo.com>"

Now I have no idea if this is a hoax or a scam, but if you realy want to get in it might be your only hope.

#12 East Coast Party?

by superyooser

Sunday March 5th, 2000 11:26 PM

Why don't they have a simultaneous Mozilla party on the east coast (U.S.) or in other locations?

It looks like Mozilla.party is not "scaling" well. I'm sure back in the day, JWZ and his buddies at Netscape could go out and celebrate at a local night club just fine. (Yes, I'm aware JWZ abandoned us.) Unfortunately, the SF night club venue is not sufficient anymore. It's time to see things as they really are. The Mozilla project consists of thousands of developers and testers all over the world.

Question 6 of the party FAQ says: "Am I actually invited? I'm very insecure, and so this isn't totally clear to me yet." Answer: "Yes, you're invited!"

There is a REASON why people would be confused as to whether they were actually invited. The BLANTANTLY OBVIOUS QUESTION is: "How the hell is everybody supposed to fit in ONE club?!? Are we are *ALL* *REALLY* invited?!" Yeah right.

The party itself, I believe, does carry the right spirit. However, the VENUE of the party does not fit with the principle of inclusion that Mozilla and open source are all about.

#13 Ok - will you pay for the other venues?

by mozineAdmin

Monday March 6th, 2000 5:07 AM

It's always easy to suggest better solutions, when the money to implement them comes out of someone else's pocket.

#14 21... geesh

by SuperNovus

Monday March 6th, 2000 11:31 AM

I don't know about you Americans. 21 seems rather old for the age of majority. I'll stay here in Canada where it's 19. Makes no sense really. At 18 you can be DRAFTED into war where you get your legs blown off. At 19 you can start smoking and get cancer. So at 20 your a legless war vet with cancer and you still can't go in the bar and have a drink. All I can say about that is Geesh! Oh well I'll be 21 in June so this year at COMDEX I won't get turned out of the casino bar! ;-)

#15 No it's 18

by feel

Monday March 6th, 2000 11:40 AM

Well in Quebec, Canada the majority age is 18, not 19, not 21.

#20 Re: 21... geesh

by rkl

Tuesday March 7th, 2000 5:11 AM

I've always wondered why this age limits are set *all the same* in a particular country.

For example in the UK:

* You can have hetero sex, get married and play the national lottery at 16.

* You can drive at 17 (strange age that one).

* You can drink and have homosexual sex at 18 (don't ask me why the latter isn't 16, I don't know).

* You can be a member of parliament at 21 (quite why 18 isn't considered old enough is beyond me - too young to lie ?!).

* It's illegal to carry a firearm and now illegal to even own a handgun. I actually agree with both of these - one of the few things the UK government has got right :-)

Personally, I'd rather some fixed age (apart from the guns !) was used, like 18. Sex is probably the big problem - what with 12 year old girls regularly getting pregnant...

#22 Re: Re: 21... geesh

by unapersson

Tuesday March 7th, 2000 9:30 AM

There have been several attempts to equalise the age of consent. It's twice been passed by parliament but blocked by the house of lords. Which means parliament will be able to force it through quite soon, so within a year it should happen.

#21 Musical Guest

by Tanyel <tanyel@straightblack.com>

Tuesday March 7th, 2000 7:48 AM

I have never heard of the Kofy Brown Band. What kind of music does this entity make?

#23 A party for those who don't get out much...

by kb7iuj <ajvincent@hotmail.com>

Wednesday March 8th, 2000 5:05 PM

How's that for luck?!? I'm a young gentleman from Seattle, I'm of age, I don't have a social life, I do have the requisite geek glasses, and I'm in San Francisco for business right now anyway!! I'm there.

I wonder what they have for somebody who doesn't drink alcohol, though... 8)

Is it shirt and tie, or just jeans and a casual shirt?

Did anyone invite Weird Al Yankovic from San Rafael?