Tentative Progress to Beta Schedule

Saturday February 26th, 2000

Mozilla is progressing towards beta, and you can now get a look at a tentative schedule. According to the document, M14 should be coming out any day now. After that, there's a steady progression towards 0 beta bugs, with a beta preview along the way. They're hoping to have a beta ready to ship by Mozilla's 2nd anniversary on March 31st. Thanks to Alex for the link.

Also, the performance issues noticed on Win98 have been solved, and we might see them fixed in Monday's dailies. The problem seems to be that all of the performance timing code was enabled in the dailies, which slowed everything down. We'll let you know when the fix is in. You can read more about it in the "We need volunteers to help solve M14 Performance problem" thread in the n.p.m.performance newsgroup.

UPDATE: Jim Roskind posted an explanation of the timing code issue in the .seamonkey newsgroup. Also, the timing code might be removed in today's daily, so check it out when it arrives.

#1 Can't wait, oh and great work guys! (n/t)

by Hendy99 <gbhendy1@bigpond.net.au>

Saturday February 26th, 2000 5:59 PM

#2 Oh, really?

by Tanyel <tanyel@straightblack.com>

Saturday February 26th, 2000 6:09 PM

Will it run smoothly with 32 megabytes of RAM?

#3 Re: Oh, really?

by fresh <icos@arez.com>

Saturday February 26th, 2000 6:11 PM

Probably would run fine. At least the final.

#11 Ram is Cheap These Days

by idealego

Sunday February 27th, 2000 2:20 AM

Ram is cheap these days. Pick yourself up some more ;) $25-30 bucks US for 64 megs PC100 according to <http://www.pricewatch.com> If you're stuck with an EDO system still you can get 32 megs for about the same price.

#13 Not everyone has the choice

by thegrommit

Sunday February 27th, 2000 11:05 AM

There are plenty of people who use machines supplied by their employer. We still have a few 166mhz laptops with 48meg in the field.

#19 Hey, i've got 16Megs!

by Rick_g

Monday February 28th, 2000 9:08 AM

Are we poor people in poor countries heard? I've tried Mozilla on my machine and it's slower (and noisier) than Netscape :(

Since i tested it like a month ago I hope the new versions have this fixed.

#20 Heard? Yes. Important? ...

by Tanyel <tanyel@straightblack.com>

Monday February 28th, 2000 10:56 AM

Based on how it runs on my computer, I suspect they are cringing at the thought of making Mozilla run well on a 16-megabyte computer, or laughing.

#5 Re: Oh, really?

by Hendy99 <gbhendy1@bigpond.net.au>

Saturday February 26th, 2000 7:14 PM

Hopefully - Although I have 64MB I have to use 32MB machines quite often :P

#6 Re: Oh, really?

by ghaz

Saturday February 26th, 2000 7:43 PM

It'd better. Otherwise it'll lose a _lot_ of users. Heaps of people still have 32mb RAM, and usually multitask to some degree. Lucas

#7 Re: Oh, really?

by basic <_basic@yahoo.com>

Saturday February 26th, 2000 8:16 PM

32MB-Win98 here, looks good, I can even get it to multitask. Only problem is that it still leaks.

<http://bugzilla.mozilla.o…mp;order=%27Importance%27>

So I need a "ram cleaner" ( i.e. RamBooster, RamPage,MaxMem), so that Moz would not freeze up.

Basic

#14 Re: Oh, really?

by bergee <lordbergee@hotmail.com>

Sunday February 27th, 2000 11:08 AM

I have a computer with 32 megs of ram, and mozilla runs just fine on it. (Its actually more stable then IE is on that computer most of the time.)n

#4 Win98 Performance

by Pyro

Saturday February 26th, 2000 7:07 PM

So finally I learn that it is a performance bug making Mozilla about 3x slower than Netscape. I thought it was just my P133. And how exactly does this performance timing code work?

#8 Re: Win98 Performance

by basic <_basic@yahoo.com>

Saturday February 26th, 2000 9:59 PM

log the time before and after? Just guessing here...

#9 And the Mac platform?

by Waldo

Saturday February 26th, 2000 11:02 PM

Nice to see major progress done to bug 2611... <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2611> but performance is still MUCH slower on mozilla than NS 4.7

Ah well.

W

#10 What will happen to all the M14 bugs?

by damian <daemonc@netscape.net>

Sunday February 27th, 2000 12:52 AM

There are 500+ bugs marked for M14. Are they all going to be pushed back to M15 or post Beta? Is the milestone plan falling apart? True, not all the M14 bugs are beta-stopper material, but if M15 will be the beta release, then I expect that the work towards it will be concentraed on bugs deemed to be Beta-stoppers. In that case, when will the M14 bugs be worked on, let alone the M15 ones?

#12 Runs Like A Top...

by zontar

Sunday February 27th, 2000 7:15 AM

On my p1-166/64/95 box at home. Does even better on the p3-500/128/98 machine at work. :-)

#15 I run mozilla on 16 MB RAM

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Sunday February 27th, 2000 4:45 PM

I've been testing mozilla on a P100 with 16 MB RAM for over a year now and I find it usable. I also have a P90 with 32 MB RAM and it runs mozilla just fine. I also run mozilla on a PII 350 with 64 MB RAM and it screams.

#16 Be Serious

by Tanyel <tanyel@straightblack.com>

Sunday February 27th, 2000 11:13 PM

You must have very low standards, or a non-Windows computer.

#17 Re: Be Serious

by zontar

Monday February 28th, 2000 5:52 AM

Um, I just installed Win95 for a friend on a Pentium 90 with 8 MB RAM. Not only does it run, but it even runs MSOffice97.

(He doesn't have an Internet connection, though, so I didn't try running Moz on his machine.)

There are lots of people out there still running older hardware, or who have picked it up second-hand, etc. ...

#18 I am serious

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Monday February 28th, 2000 7:10 AM

I have varied standards based on what tasks I'm trying to accomplish. If I'm at work and time is a real factor I am happy that I've got a faster machine (The PII 350). If I'm at home and I've got two or three things going on with two different computers and it's all just entertainment then I don't mind switching to my other machine or another program while mozilla starts up (a long time on the P100 with 16 MB RAM). But it is quite usable. I use mozilla for all of my daily browsing and all of my personal mail and news readinf/sending. Buttons respond satisfactorily to mouseover and menus pop right down when I click on them. Given the choice I'd browse on a faster machine but my limiting factor is really my 56k modem, not my P90 or my P100. (And, yes, I run win98 on those old machines.)

Asa

#21 Re: Be Serious

by Hendy99 <gbhendy1@bigpond.net.au>

Monday February 28th, 2000 6:47 PM

How can I put this? Up until about July last year I was running a 16MB P-90 and a 24MB P-100. Some people can't afford/don't want to/don't need to upgrade to something newer. Also, it is quite possible that it was a non-Win32 machine with those specs :)

#22 Why are you telling me this?

by Tanyel <tanyel@straightblack.com>

Monday February 28th, 2000 7:11 PM

I did not doubt Asa ran Mozilla on a 16-megabyte computer, and I know there are non-Windows computers in the world. If you disagree with what I typed in the earlier post, try reading it again with this new information.