Communicator 4.72 Released
Tuesday February 22nd, 2000
Communicator 4.72 is out, in Windows, Mac and many Unix variants. Is this gonna be the last upgrade?
#27 How to find out what's new in 4.72
Wednesday February 23rd, 2000 4:58 PM
You are replying to this message
Ridiculously, Netscape never seem to document changes from a 4.X to a 4.X1 or 4.X2 release, instead merging all the "What's New" stuff into the latest release, giving the end-user zero clue w.r.t. the differences between 4.7 and 4.72 (I never saw 4.71 - it wasn't a public release).
Here's how I do it - "save as text" the "Help -> Release Notes" pages for 4.7 and 4.72 and then do a diff ! It works nicely each time and here's the changes for those who can't be bothered:
* Release date 21st Feb 2000 (hey, I spotted stuff as old as 31st Jan 2000 in the FTP tree for 4.72 ! Did they hold it back for 3 weeks ?)
* Netscape Calendar is now a separate download (good riddance !).
* Windows only: Global IME support for input of Chinese, Japanese, and Korean characters.
* PostScript printer driver problems in Windows 95 and 98 cause problems when printing from Netscape (just a bug note - it's not fixed !)
* Insert Link in Composer may cause a crash (another unfixed bug note).
* Plenty of spelling mistake fixes in the release notes :-)
That's it folks. No mention of *any* security or bug fixes whatsoever.