Communicator 4.72 Released

Tuesday February 22nd, 2000

Communicator 4.72 is out, in Windows, Mac and many Unix variants. Is this gonna be the last upgrade?

#1 Is this gonna be the last update? I hope so (n/t)

by Hendy99

Tuesday February 22nd, 2000 10:02 PM

#2 Damn. I just put this item up 5 seconds ago! (n/t)

by mozineAdmin

Tuesday February 22nd, 2000 10:03 PM

#3 I mean - fast response! (n/t)

by mozineAdmin

Tuesday February 22nd, 2000 10:04 PM

#9 hahahaha

by Hendy99

Tuesday February 22nd, 2000 11:35 PM

And to think, I was just looking at the weekend discussion results :)

#4 I thought I'd be the first to break the news :)

by Mike_S

Tuesday February 22nd, 2000 10:20 PM

NT

#5 New Netscape?

Tuesday February 22nd, 2000 10:57 PM

Oh who cares?

#7 Re: New Netscape?

by gerbilpower

Tuesday February 22nd, 2000 11:23 PM

<scarcasm> So is there a second Shop button now? </scarcasm>

<:3)~~

#8 Re: Re: New Netscape?

Tuesday February 22nd, 2000 11:27 PM

Oh, you must not have heard...

#6 Anyone know what's new?

by Waldo

Tuesday February 22nd, 2000 11:23 PM

I noticed that whole 4.72 thing, but what's new is what I wanted to know.

W

#10 They ditched the Calendar for one thing (n/t)

by Hendy99

Tuesday February 22nd, 2000 11:36 PM

#23 Re: Anyone know what's new?

by ryanm32712

Wednesday February 23rd, 2000 2:35 PM

There were some bugfixes with the <DIV> tag. Now you can use forms with hidden layers and layers are a bit more stable.

example: http://darter.ocps.k12.fl.us/indexlyr.html crashes 4.7 but not 4.72

#30 Re: Re: Anyone know what's new?

Wednesday February 23rd, 2000 6:33 PM

Improved layer handling? Surely everybody will want to download it now.

#51 Re: Re: Anyone know what's new?

by arnoudb

Thursday February 24th, 2000 6:57 PM

Hmm. This doesn't crash my 4.7 at all

#52 Re: Re: Anyone know what's new?

by arnoudb

Thursday February 24th, 2000 6:58 PM

Hmm. This doesn't crash my 4.7 at all

#11 This'll be popular.

by caspy7

Tuesday February 22nd, 2000 11:49 PM

Jeez, I'm sure this one will make in in the download record books...no, not for the MOST downloads.

#15 Re: This'll be popular.

by mce

Wednesday February 23rd, 2000 5:26 AM

I for one am downloading it now. My current 4.71 on linux crashes/hangs so often, that it cant hurt to test the upgrade.

Yes, I do know about Mozilla. :-)

#12 This'll be popular.

by caspy7

Tuesday February 22nd, 2000 11:52 PM

#13 Stable or Unstable?

by PhiSch

Wednesday February 23rd, 2000 12:45 AM

I just wonder whether NN 4.72 is as unstable as 4.71? I am still using 4.6 an IE5, because NN 4.71 did not run for 20 minutes on my System without a crash.

Thanx

#14 It was never a release build anyway (n/t)

by Hendy99

Wednesday February 23rd, 2000 3:16 AM

#16 When will M14 be out?

by sos

Wednesday February 23rd, 2000 5:39 AM

Can anyone tell me when M14 is gonna be out?

Thanks !

#17 When will M14 be out?

by sos

Wednesday February 23rd, 2000 5:39 AM

Can anyone tell me when M14 is gonna be out?

Thanks !

#18 Well, I got it...

by leafdigital

Wednesday February 23rd, 2000 8:59 AM

I'm using 4.72 and it hasn't crashed yet *shrugs*. No doubt it will still get into its usual "100% cpu usage for no reason" state every so often, but we'll see.

I'm really hoping to switch to Mozilla soon though... Apparently they have *finally* fixed (though the fix isn't yet checked in) the bug that made it unusable with a website that's important to me... if that and most of the other bugs marked "beta" are squelched for M14, then I may be able to put up with some of the user interface horribleness that will doubtless remain (keypresses not working, drag/drop not working, etc.) although I'm not sure yet, we'll see.

--sam

#19 Free extra bug!

by connery4

Wednesday February 23rd, 2000 11:43 AM

Not only does 4.72 launch with a huge lag on my previously-rather-fast computer, it seems to have added the same feature to IE. Bonus!

#20 Re: Free extra bug!

Wednesday February 23rd, 2000 11:54 AM

Are you saying the new Netscape slows down Internet Explorer too? If so, how is this possible?

#26 Re: Re: Free extra bug!

by brobinson

Wednesday February 23rd, 2000 4:48 PM

I'm not too sure it is. Must have overwritten some system files. Or maybe trying to run both at the same time.

#21 Interesting that 4.71 never was actually released

by Kovu

Wednesday February 23rd, 2000 12:53 PM

It came out on the FTP sites, but when I got it the N button didn't work and neither did the My Netscape button, and Netscape never announced it at Netcenter. Will this be the same with 4.72? Who knows.

#31 Re: Interesting that 4.71 never was actually relea

Wednesday February 23rd, 2000 6:40 PM

I suspect they cancelled the release of version 4.71 due to the premature mention of it on MozillaZine.

#37 Now that just doesn't make sense at all n/t

by Kovu

Thursday February 24th, 2000 12:29 AM

n/t

#45 Re: Now that just doesn't make sense at all n/t

Thursday February 24th, 2000 2:23 PM

Well after people found it before it was ready, version 4.71 received bad reviews before it was even released. Also, if there were any new things in it, all of the surprise was taken away. So maybe they thought it was best to fix another bug or two and call it version 4.72, to renew interest.

I realize most people did not know about version 4.71, but 5 or 10 people probably did hear about it, and those are probably the only people still downloading their 4.x browsers anyway so maybe they were trying to keep those people excited.

#22 Wanted: Mozilla 4.72+Cal. Solaris 2.5.1+128encryp.

by gisburn

Wednesday February 23rd, 2000 1:52 PM

As the subject says: I'm looking for a 128bit version of Mozilla 4.72 with Enterprise calendar for Solaris SPARC >= 2.5.1...

#50 Re: Wanted: Mozilla 4.72+Cal. Solaris 2.5.1+128enc

by cyeh

Thursday February 24th, 2000 6:03 PM

Calendar (i.e. the Pro packaging) is no longer available as a part of 4.72. You can run the older version of calendar with Communicator 4.72 without problems.

#63 Re: Wanted: Mozilla 4.72+Cal. Solaris 2.5.1+128enc

by jesusX

Monday February 28th, 2000 11:03 PM

http://www.iplanet.com/support/technical_resources/ics/comm472.htm This'll get you there. It _IS_ available.

#24 Whats new?

by tnikkel

Wednesday February 23rd, 2000 2:52 PM

<a href="http://home.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/4.7/relnotes/">Here</a> are the release notes. But I doubt they cover *everything* that's new.

#25 No HTML needed! ;-)

by wolfseyn

Wednesday February 23rd, 2000 3:29 PM

Doesn't say a whole lot...

#32 Re: No HTML needed! ;-)

Wednesday February 23rd, 2000 6:53 PM

It seems to me that most of what that page mentioned is "bug fixing". I heard that Netscape used to be called "innovative". I wonder if they expect people to think Winamp or AIM are features. Did I misread or did they really list the Shop@Netscape button as a feature? Do these people pay any attention to their users at all?

#34 We have two choices....

by FrodoB

Wednesday February 23rd, 2000 7:38 PM

The handful of people who maintain Communicator can switch over to Mozilla, the "horribly doomed project" in the eyes of everyone but we few, and do marginal amounts of good beyond what's already being done.

Or they can continue to maintain Communicator, fixing bugs and maintaining market share.

I would personally choose the latter, until Mozilla is finished, because if there's no Netscape market share left by the time Mozilla is released (something that the Netscape releases DO help with), then we're basically screwed (no one can fight an uphill battle with Microsoft and win; the best you can hope for is a victory when you're on an equal footing with them).

#35 Re: We have two choices....

Wednesday February 23rd, 2000 9:44 PM

Okay, but do you think many people will care?

#60 If it doesn't fall to ~0% there's a chance

by brobinson

Sunday February 27th, 2000 7:42 AM

If the beta doesn't get good reviews will things be changed to correct the things the reviewers said were wrong?

#61 Re: If it doesn't fall to ~0% there's a chance

Sunday February 27th, 2000 4:11 PM

I suspect many sites and magazines are already planning to provide horrible reviews, and many of them will have an Internet Explorer advertisement on the same page. Maybe they are not worth listening to.

#36 Re: We have two choices....

by Hendy99

Thursday February 24th, 2000 12:03 AM

4.72..... It almost makes me want to cry ;(

#27 How to find out what's new in 4.72

by rkl

Wednesday February 23rd, 2000 4:58 PM

Ridiculously, Netscape never seem to document changes from a 4.X to a 4.X1 or 4.X2 release, instead merging all the "What's New" stuff into the latest release, giving the end-user zero clue w.r.t. the differences between 4.7 and 4.72 (I never saw 4.71 - it wasn't a public release).

Here's how I do it - "save as text" the "Help -> Release Notes" pages for 4.7 and 4.72 and then do a diff ! It works nicely each time and here's the changes for those who can't be bothered:

* Release date 21st Feb 2000 (hey, I spotted stuff as old as 31st Jan 2000 in the FTP tree for 4.72 ! Did they hold it back for 3 weeks ?)

* Netscape Calendar is now a separate download (good riddance !).

* Windows only: Global IME support for input of Chinese, Japanese, and Korean characters.

* PostScript printer driver problems in Windows 95 and 98 cause problems when printing from Netscape (just a bug note - it's not fixed !)

* Insert Link in Composer may cause a crash (another unfixed bug note).

* Plenty of spelling mistake fixes in the release notes :-)

That's it folks. No mention of *any* security or bug fixes whatsoever.

#29 Re: How to find out what's new in 4.72

by slm

Wednesday February 23rd, 2000 5:33 PM

e.g. this bug is fixed since 4.71:

#33 Re: How to find out what's new in 4.72

Wednesday February 23rd, 2000 7:02 PM

IME support, printer problems, and they ruined the "Insert Link" function? Are they sure this is an upgrade?

#40 I've noticed that...

by wolfseyn

Thursday February 24th, 2000 9:52 AM

The URL autocomplete seems faster and less annoying that it has been...

#41 Re: URL Autocomplete

by punkrider

Thursday February 24th, 2000 10:46 AM

I couldn't tell ya... My autocomplete function has been broken ever since I installed the first 4.7 release!

#28 4.5-4.6-4.7-4.71-4.72 all the way to 6.0

by daddydago

Wednesday February 23rd, 2000 5:00 PM

At this rate they didn't lie when they said late spring for 6.0 WHA SUP?

#38 specifics!

by Kovu

Thursday February 24th, 2000 12:35 AM

They need to get more specific with these release notes. What a joke. The calendar was always optional as a download anyway. If people with average connections want to d/l it they should know why. They better do a better release notes for 5.0/6.0/2001 or whatever they call it. Not

"Oh, it's like better or something."

#39 Security fixes

by leafdigital

Thursday February 24th, 2000 4:09 AM

While I agree that the release notes are crappy (I think I clicked reply to the wrong message :), I don't think the actual releases should be criticised - it seems these releases are largely due to security fixes, and security problems (with a browser that people actually use and rely on) should be fixed asap.

--sam

#46 Re: Security fixes

Thursday February 24th, 2000 2:38 PM

I am not completely against Netscape 4.x though. I would never use Internet Explorer for a "secure" Internet transaction.

#55 Re: Security fixes

by beastie

Friday February 25th, 2000 12:47 PM

"I can download security patches for Internet Explorer without downloading the entire browser each time."

Uhh, ever hear of Smart Update?

#57 Re: Re: Security fixes

by Hendy99

Friday February 25th, 2000 5:37 PM

There's no denying that IE has smaller patches, just so many more of them........

#58 Re: Re: Security fixes

Friday February 25th, 2000 7:56 PM

Uhh, yes.

#42 How to disable Shop@Netscape button

by Netvigator

Thursday February 24th, 2000 10:57 AM

Hi I found this and thought it might be useful. How to disable the Shop@Netscape button

All you have to do is to add the following line: user_pref("browser.chrome.disableMyShopping", true);

in the preferences.js file

#43 Pos Data

by Netvigator

Thursday February 24th, 2000 10:59 AM

First close Netscape before editing the files

#44 How to disable Shop@Netscape button

by Netvigator

Thursday February 24th, 2000 10:59 AM

in the preferences.js file

#47 :)

Thursday February 24th, 2000 2:43 PM

It is about time. Die, button.

#49 Re: :)

by gerbilpower

Thursday February 24th, 2000 5:31 PM

I knew this was the one "feature" you were going to look forward too :)

<:3)~~

#53 Re: Re: :)

Thursday February 24th, 2000 10:18 PM

Yes, I have actually been using Netscape more often today. I hope it is that easy to disable that W3C validator. I hope it is not even part of Netscape.

#48 Bug Fixes, Next Versions, and Sanity Check

by ryanm32712

Thursday February 24th, 2000 4:26 PM

As for what's different in 4.72, there is increased stability in general browsing (as far as i've seen) and increased stability in layers (the <DIV> tag kind). I'm guessing, since mozilla is in Alpha, netscape won't release anything new unless there is some kind of major security bug. As for the sarcastic comments about the number of changes. Remember! This is not nearly a major release. Don't expect to see a major difference between 4.7 and 4.72 since there wasn't a major change in 4.6 to 4.7. Think proportionally people.

#54 Re: Bug Fixes, Next Versions, and Sanity Check

Thursday February 24th, 2000 10:31 PM

Everybody calls it layers yet they think DIV is a better name than LAYER...

Maybe it makes sense. I commented on the upgrade from the perspective of an Internet Explorer user, who would need actual features to make the download worthwhile. I suppose, to Netscape users, bug fixing is the best thing to do at this point.

#56 Can't forget this

by beastie

Friday February 25th, 2000 5:22 PM

Don't forget the new icon.

#59 Ugly Icon

by steviebaby

Saturday February 26th, 2000 4:47 PM

Why the heck did they ditch the lighthouse icon for the Netscape "N"? The "N" doesn't look good on the desktop. Sorry, Netscape.

#62 its a little faster

by daddydago

Sunday February 27th, 2000 4:22 PM

I seem to be browsing a little faster or maybe Its because its sunday. and the best thing is it hasn't crashed yet. sometimes NS suprises me

#64 back to 4.70 here

by glork123

Thursday March 9th, 2000 1:11 PM

i installed it on my linux box (the version for linux 2.2). it crashes every time i open more than a bunch of netscape windows (say, 5 or 6) and then close a couple of them.

i sure hope to move to mozilla in teh next few weeks..