Some Reasons to Try Out a Nightly Build

Sunday February 13th, 2000

If you haven't tried a nightly build in the past few days, we might have some reasons for you to do so.

Borofkin writes, "The latest nightly build has persistant proxy authentication, making it usable for those of us whose only Internet access is via an authenticating proxy server." I know a lot of people have been asking for this to be implemented.

Second, if you have shied away from using Mozilla's Mail/News because of the slow performance of the thread pane, you should really give it a try now. The threadpane now scrolls smoothly. There are still a few bugs, but the improvement is very noticable.

#1 and that pesky NNTP error is fixed

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Monday February 14th, 2000 6:43 AM

For any of you using mozilla to read news, if you were seeing that "NNTP news error: Message does not exist" it is now fixed. Thanks to Seth Spitzer for the quick fix on this.

Asa

(posted with mozilla)

#2 these nightlies are great

by lubricated

Monday February 14th, 2000 9:04 AM

That news scrolling bug was keeping me from using news all together. There are a lot of speed ups and less memory usage/leaks. This kicks ass. However mozilla is crashing when I try to download something. Hopefully that will be fixed by M14. Also I'm hoping that they will fix the bug with <http://www.enlightenment.org> Forgot the bug number but its been bothering me for quite a while.

#3 10647, Mail and Skins

by Tanyel <tanyel@straightblack.com>

Monday February 14th, 2000 12:53 PM

They should consider fixing bug 10647 before releasing a "beta" version.

I have never tried using Mozilla for news. I tried using it for mail and failed. Is it possible to reconfigure Mozilla mail, or are the settings, from the "wizard", final?

Will the customizable "skins" thing be finished before the "beta" version is released?

#4 Wizard.

by basic <_basic@yahoo.com>

Monday February 14th, 2000 1:11 PM

Why not try downloading a nightly build and try it yourself? :-)

Basic

#7 Re: Wizard.

by Tanyel <tanyel@straightblack.com>

Monday February 14th, 2000 4:40 PM

"I tried using it for mail and failed."

I typed that, really. :)

I will try again.

#5 Re: 10647, Mail and Skins

by Ben_Goodger

Monday February 14th, 2000 3:13 PM

Some skin switching APIs exist, however the full back end architecture required for it is not yet in place and will not be there for M14 close tomorrow night.

#9 Skins :)

by Hendy99 <gbhendy1@bigpond.net.au>

Monday February 14th, 2000 5:54 PM

Any idea when it will be implimented? I saw skins in the preferences window a month or so ago. Can't wait to show my parents M14 :)

#18 Speaking of M14 close...

by sab39

Tuesday February 15th, 2000 8:46 AM

I just looked on Bugzilla for beta1 bugs; it seems there are still 400 beta1 bugs open, 254 of which are targeted M14. That sounds like the goal of hitting M14 close with zarro beta1 bugs won't be acheived. According to the last message I read from a seamonkey-project-dude, if they couldn't get close to that goal, there was the possibility of postponing the NS branded beta until M15 :( Anyone have any inside info on whether they're going to continue to shoot for an M14-based beta or whether they'll push it back to M15?

Thanks for any info,

Stuart.

#19 Re: Speaking of M14 close...

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Tuesday February 15th, 2000 10:47 AM

I just did a couple of queries and got 198 PDT+ bugs, 193 PDT+ beta1 bugs and 158 PDT+ beta1 M14 bugs. Jim Roskind's note had language like M14 having "a *shot* at being the basis for a branded alpha or beta release. I'm guessing that it'll be close. We can hope/help.

Asa

(posted with mozilla)

#23 Re: Speaking of M14 close...

by jedbro

Tuesday February 15th, 2000 2:41 PM

To tell you the truth.. I'd rather see m15 be beta 1

Mozilla desirves a HUGE market push and good review for all the hard work put into it! I think m14 is a bit pre-mature.. We want a stable and kick-ass beta for people to see.. for the average Joe, Beta, means "almost ready, just a few cosmetic and VERY minor changes to the features will be added". So I think we should give them what they expect!

Also you have to realize that the netscape browser beta 1 has to be as feature complete as 4.7 is, and even better... Sure, we started all over again, but people are waiting to see the next best from Netscape. Meaning backwards capability, and that all there plugins, java, etc. will be working correctly!

my 2 cents

#24 Re: Re: Speaking of M14 close...

by Tanyel <tanyel@straightblack.com>

Tuesday February 15th, 2000 5:35 PM

I agree. All of the bugs that stop me from being able to use Mozilla are beyond M14.

#6 Re: 10647, Mail and Skins

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Monday February 14th, 2000 3:48 PM

Yes it is possible to reconfigure Mozilla mail. You can delete the old account and set up a new one. 1. open mail-news 2. on the Edit menu select Mail/News Account Settings. 3. select the mail account that is broken 4. click on Delete button at the bottom of the settings pane. 5. click on the New Account button (above the delete button). 6. set up new account.

You might also try importing a 4.x account by deleting your mozregistry.dat file and then running mozilla -installer. The -installer flag will give you a prompt to import a 4.x profile.

Also, we will be having an entire BugDay devoted to getting going with mail-news. This should be early next week. If you can't wait and these steps do not work for you then please follow up here or come by #mozillazine and ask me. I'm available most weekday evenings (USA time) for any mail-news help.

Asa

(posted with mozilla)

#13 Re: 10647, Mail and Skins

by fnkmaster

Monday February 14th, 2000 8:32 PM

Mail support is working decently for me now, for mail reading. Sending seems to not be working, but I haven't tried with the latest nightly. Biggest mail/news bug now that I see is that Mozilla seg faults if you try to open mail/news twice in one session (Linux build).

#8 Working incredible!!

by jedbro

Monday February 14th, 2000 4:49 PM

Mozilla has really shown some incredible jumps in performance and useability in the last month... since Jan 14th, I could no longer run Mozilla on my 350 desktop, only on my 450 laptop (have no clue why, mozilla.exe would give me an internal error) Since the 8th of Feb, I have been enjoying Mozilla on both! And can see a HUGE, and I mean HUGE change on my desktop since I last ran it in Jan. Mail in working flawlessly (ok, a bit of an overstatment, but you get the point) and the browser I now use for 99% of browsing (That's damn right I'm using it now).

What I would like to know is how the java and plugin support is going on these days, and when we can expect it?

I know flash and a few other things are possible, but is there anything written on adding plugin support (mainly java).

Another HUGE thing I have noticed is Mozillas work with javascript, My whole site is based around JS (I'm kinda a JS guru) and things are working incredibly well now!!

--A Stoked Mozilla supporter

#10 Things that I hope make it into M14

by damian <daemonc@netscape.net>

Monday February 14th, 2000 7:26 PM

I've been trying the nightly builds almost every day. It's looking pretty smooth. There's just a couple of things that I'm hoping make it into M14.

I got a build a couple of days ago that actually had GFX scrollbars for list boxes, like the one I'm typing this in. They looked a heck of a lot better in mozilla than my GTK theme scrollbars do, and seemed to work flawlessly. Sadly, I haven't seen them in any builds since.

I'm really happy with view manager 2, as it fixes some rather annoying bugs. I hope it will be turned on by default.

Scrolling with arrow keys is still seriously screwed up. Hopefully some kind person will fix it.

Last, and of no significance at all, a build from the other day had a cute splash screen at startup. I thought it was a nice touch.

#11 Re: Things that I hope make it into M14

by fnkmaster

Monday February 14th, 2000 8:27 PM

Yup, it's still a bit borked, in that focus doesn't initially go to the web view area, so it doesn't respond to keyboard shortcuts until you bring focus to the view area. The bug just got marked the other day as fixed, which annoys me, and I'm considering filing a new bug report or reopening it, as I just don't consider it functional, as of the latest nightly build (Linux version here, don't know about other builds).

#14 borked

by damian <daemonc@netscape.net>

Monday February 14th, 2000 9:46 PM

Even more annoying than that, you can't scroll with the arrow keys if you move the mouse outside of the window. I think this is only in the linux builds. There's a bug filed for it, but no comments on wether it is being worked on or not.

#12 No proxy for

by borofkin <macdonald.david.da@bhp.com.au>

Monday February 14th, 2000 8:27 PM

Now all we need is for the "no proxy for" functionality to be implemented and it will be just as easy to use Mozilla as any other browser. If only we could get VBScript, I could use it for 100% of my browsing.

#15 Nightly builds / MacOS

by lcarver

Tuesday February 15th, 2000 1:48 AM

Something seems to be holding back the nightly MacOS builds ... last one posted was last Friday 11-Feb. I couldn't get that one to install (using the provided installer) no matter what I did. Larry C.

#16 Some problems also!

by bisho

Tuesday February 15th, 2000 6:59 AM

There are still some problems with some pages.

The url is <http://www.onirica.com>

There are 3 problems: a) The server make HTTP redirects, but the URL doesn't change in the browser (in the viewer.exe it changes correctly)

b) The transparent gif that makes a pattern renders awfully. I remember that older builds (+-M9) reder it correctly, but not the newer.

c) The menu on the upper side, doesn't work. The images don't change, the layers don't appear and you couln't click on the images. I have changed the code to adopt the new mozilla objects, and it works in some milestones, but not now.

Somebody could help me with any of this? There are bugs posted for these problems? There is a problem in my code?

#17 Proxy!!

by hodeleri <drbrain@segment7.net>

Tuesday February 15th, 2000 8:18 AM

I feel like a little kid, persistent proxies are working. NS4 will have to get used to its second class status for my work computer now.

#20 MacOS Nightlies??? (Please)

by mstearne <mstearne@eisolutions.com>

Tuesday February 15th, 2000 11:18 AM

Where are the MacOS builds? The last one is 2/11 and the ones before that were broken.

Is there a big issue that popped up with MacOS?

Thanks

#21 Re: MacOS Nightlies??? (Please)

by damian <daemonc@netscape.net>

Tuesday February 15th, 2000 12:09 PM

They haven't forgotten about you mac users. There appears to be a fresh mac build for today (feb. 15). :-)

#22 Slightly unrelated enquiry...

by odd <odd@findus.dhs.org>

Tuesday February 15th, 2000 2:32 PM

...but I'm curious as to what happened to the old/original widgets, of which a draft is located here: <http://www.mozilla.org/xpfe/nsGFXWidgets.html>

I don't know if I'm alone in thinking that the current widget set could benefit from some more or less major and minor adjustments. I of course understand that these kind of issues are low priority ? but I'm just a bit curious.

Using latest Mac OS nightly build, 2000-02-15 09, and it seems rock solid (except for profile creation, but I'm quite convinced that that part of Mozilla has some sort of a curse set upon it, so it's no major issue =)

#25 not ready yet

by jeromekwok

Thursday February 17th, 2000 1:29 AM

Several GUI improvements in pre-M14, but lacks performance and reliability compared with M13. I hope M14 release will kick ass.

#26 Are we talking about the same browser?

by Tanyel <tanyel@straightblack.com>

Thursday February 17th, 2000 6:54 AM

On my computer, it takes at least five minutes to change the mail settings. Every time something new shows on the screen, Mozilla slows to a crawl. This happens when there is a new browser window, a new mail message, when I edit the preferences, or even when a window pops up to tell me a server cannot be found.

I have been able to check for new mail, but not able to send mail. I used the same settings I use with Netscape 4.7.

Is it possible to check the Netscape Webmail using the Mozilla Mail and News? If so, what is necessary to do this?

I have found that the browser works much better if absolutely no other programs are running, I do not use the mail, I do not edit the bookmarks or preferences, and I only view simple Webpages.