Mozilla Performance, And How To Help

Thursday February 3rd, 2000

Christine Begle of mozilla.org writes,

"We need your help to improve Mozilla's performance.

• We need help identifying more tasks that seem slow.
  • We need help generating data that demonstrates Mozilla's performance, especially in comparison with other browsers.
  • We need help generating profiling data.

If you want to help, please read these instructions to see what you should put in a performance bug report, and for how to use jprof, the freely available profiling tool for Mozilla that runs on RedHat 6.1. If you can already build Mozilla on RedHat 6.1, you can generate profiling data.

If you have Quantify, check out these instructions for installing, building, and running with Quantify. These tips may also be helpful to you.

If you are on MacOS, get the Mac Instrumentation SDK, and read these tips for profiling Mozilla on MacOS.

If your favorite performance problem isn't on the list of known performance problems, please let us know."

#1 18739 almost painful

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Thursday February 3rd, 2000 7:43 AM

I Use mozilla mail-news regularly for sending emails and reading and posting to newsgroups. This (<http://bugzilla.mozilla.o…/show_bug.cgi?id=18739)is> the most painful performance problem that I encounter with the entire mozilla suite (there are definitely others but tree scrolling sure hurts). It got quite usable a before and through M13 but has since regressed. If you've got any extra votes please drop them on this bug. (If you've used up your 'Browser' votes you may still be able to help because this bug is mail-news.) Thanks.

Asa

(posted with mozilla 2/2/00 build)

#2 bad link. sorry.

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Thursday February 3rd, 2000 7:47 AM

the link to that bug should have been <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18739>

#3 Hmmm.

by mag

Thursday February 3rd, 2000 11:36 AM

Really big pages like <http://sid.genline.nu>

are slow aswell. <mag>

#4 Can't do anything yet => Moz crashes

by spaetz <Sebastian@SSpaeth.de>

Thursday February 3rd, 2000 12:16 PM

As long as this annoying bug exists, where win95 avery 3rd site or so crashes, I'm not even able to measure performance. Come on guys, it works with Linux.

Crossing my thumbs (correct english expression?) Sebastian

#5 Sebastian, please help us

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Thursday February 3rd, 2000 12:47 PM

It sounds like you've got the NECKO.DLL crash. If this is the case, please visit bug <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=23709> If you can add anything to that report such as your system configuration and internet connection info it will probably help them get to the heart of the problem faster. Right now several people are experiencing this crasher but they are still having difficulty figuring out exactly what's causing it. Please visit that bug, see if it looks like your problem, add comments to it, and if you've got votes left add votes to the bug.

Thanks,

Asa (posted with mozilla)

#6 dynamic GUI, good idea - bad performance

by Bacteria

Friday February 4th, 2000 12:18 AM

XUL makes an exciting to Mozilla, it works!! Nobody can sez it not works.. but if it works at this performance it's not the GUI for the real world

just try to resize your sidebar, or do something that makes Mozilla refresh its display.. and you will see

#7 Re: dynamic GUI, good idea - bad performance

by Bacteria

Friday February 4th, 2000 12:23 AM

anyway, i think XUL is good but we need a better performance than this

#8 A major performance need

by bk_raze

Friday February 4th, 2000 3:18 PM

The most major performance need in Mozilla has to do with the painful reloads when pressing the back or forward buttons. The major reason why I use IE over Netscape is because of this. Just try IE5, press the back button, and watch the page come up instantly. In Netscape and Mozilla the page reloads from scratch! It has to do with caching I think. As long as this feature is implemented, I'll still use IE5.

#9 Re: A major performance need

by Tanyel <tanyel@straightblack.com>

Friday February 4th, 2000 4:28 PM

I think all of the Mozilla developers should be required to run Mozilla on computers with 32 megabytes of RAM. Then maybe they will be able to understand the criticism.

Two days ago, I used Mozilla on a Windows NT computer with 128 megabytes and it was wonderful. The only reason I stopped is because I had to use Java. I think I will use it more than Internet Explorer if it ever performs that well on my own computer.

#10 GIFs Broken in Build 2000020410?

by Hendy99 <gbhendy1@bigpond.net.au>

Friday February 4th, 2000 8:08 PM

Finally updated my nightly build, but it appears GIFs are broken :(

However, I find Moz runs nicely on my Celeron 400/64MB RAM/NT4 :)

Java - Installed JRE 1.3.0 release and now Moz crashes whenever it hits a java applet (I use <http://java.sun.com> as a good example). Nice App, good work to date, just not finished :P

#11 file cache

by lunatic <lunatic@e-net.co.kr>

Sunday February 6th, 2000 11:35 PM

I'm using mozilla nightly (buil ID : 2000020608) right now.

It's national holiday Feb. 4 to 6 here in Korea, (lunar New Year's Day) and I didn't have an internet connection since Feb 2.

I was surprised that Mozilla has changed a lot in just 5 days. It feels like a different app. It renders faster and smoother, and just feels better.

My only performance wish is the file cache. I don't know the bug ID, (I'm too lazy :) but if it's checked in, I could advocate Mozilla more firmly in my company.

Go Mozilla!