M13 Out!

Wednesday January 26th, 2000

M13 builds have started appearing on the ftp site. Windows, Mac and Linux builds so far, more sure to come. Fullcircle builds are also available, which will pass crash data back to the developers.

The release notes are now out. There are lots of links to ways you can get involved with Mozilla, so check it out.

UPDATE! We have updated the builds page here at MZ to include the M13 builds... and the M12 builds... and the M11 builds... :)

#1 It M13 Alfa or not?

by ezh <ezh@menelon.ee>

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 4:02 PM

Subj...

#3 We're going to find out really soon! (n/t)

by url <urlradio@yahoo.com>

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 4:35 PM

(n/t)

#13 Re: It M13 Alfa or not?

by WillyWonka

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 7:09 PM

I asked in #mozilla if it was alpha or not and I got 3 people saying "ugh" so I think thats a no.

Maybe thay are planning on skipping the alpha and going straight to the beta or something.

#19 like skipping M11 to go straigh M12? :o) (n/t)

by odragon <dacmot@xoommail.com>

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 7:59 PM

#50 Re: It M13 Alfa or not?

by ataferner

Thursday January 27th, 2000 10:35 AM

<http://www.mozilla.org/> it sez right there that M13 is Alpha <http://www.mozilla.org/pr…key/milestones/index.html> also tells us that M13 is alpha any questions? :)

#2 XHTML

by basic <_basic@yahoo.com>

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 4:07 PM

Yes! M13 release and XHTML Rec on the same day!

<http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/>

#4 FreeBSD?

by hodeleri <drbrain@segment7.net>

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 4:50 PM

I hope another FreeBSD build will show up this time. And is the DOM viewer working again? I haven't seen it working in a while...

#11 Re: FreeBSD?

by petejc <pete@mozdev.org>

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 6:53 PM

I am pulling the M13 branch right this very moment.

I should have a binary package ready sometime tomorrow.

pete

#45 Yay !

by halcyon42

Thursday January 27th, 2000 7:12 AM

Thanks pete :)

#91 Re: FreeBSD?

by halcyon42

Friday January 28th, 2000 4:08 AM

M13 is really very much more stable now (slashdot loads :) - moving more of my browsing across to mozilla now. Thanks for the good work !

#5 M13 Build

by gerbilpower <gerbil@ucdavis.edu>

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 5:34 PM

Just curious, how much of your browsering/mail/news do you use Mozilla for now (for those of you who regular download and use the builds). For me, it's

99% of my browsing, I have rarely the need to launch Communicator except downloading a new build or shop online.

1% of my mail, I'm still experimenting with this.

0% of my news, I have yet to figure out why it won't work for me.

Well looking forward to another exciting Milestone!

<:3)~~

#6 Re: M13 Build

by Kovu <Kovu401@netscape.net>

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 5:45 PM

30% of my browsing, maybe a bit less, this would increase if the mail client worked for me, but I think it's just the experimental builds I've been trying, we'll see about M13 0% of my mail 0% news

#7 Re: M13 Build

by beej <bdery@ualberta.ca>

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 6:11 PM

I dload a Nightly Build for Linux almost every night (which on 28.8 is a *bit* of a pain... ^_^). Anyway: - 95% of browsing (I go back to NC 4.71 when one of the Nightly Builds segfaults at least four times during one of my sessions) - 0% of mail (but I want to! I just can't get it to accept my settings once I enter them in the Wizard!) - 0% of news (don't read much news... ^_^)

It's a stellar product so far. I was just advocating Mozilla today to a friend of mine on the bus home. I still can't believe the functionality it has, for being a pre-alpha product.

Oh yeah, I haven't used the Editor at all, as I've heard nothing on how good it is. I'm lazy, so I use Composer 4.71, but I'd like to start using the Editor, so I can make 100% compliant pages...

#9 About The Editor

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 6:21 PM

I tried the editor today. It worked but it did not make use of relative paths, and I could not change the image properties by right-clicking. There were no unnecessary tags, which I appreciated. I have not experimented with the editor enough to determine how good it is but I think the old Composer is better right now.

#72 on Using Mozilla's Editor

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Thursday January 27th, 2000 3:00 PM

I use it every once and a while, maybe as much as 20% of the time I'm composing pages. Save often. It has a long way to go to be as slick as 4.x but it is getting there. 4. table editing was sooo much nicer bu one day Mozilla will catch up. Again, save often if you're doing anything big.

-Asa (posted witn mozilla)

#8 Re: M13 Build

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 6:14 PM

I think I use it for about 2% of my "browsing" and 0% of mail and news.

#12 Re: M13 Build

by kc7gza

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 7:07 PM

I use Mozilla for all my browsing except hotmail because Mozilla won't let me login to my hotmail account.

I don't use it for email because I use hotmail for email. I don't use it for news either although I will as soon as Mozilla will let me set up a news account without it crashing.

#32 Re: Re: M13 Build

by chofmann

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 9:33 PM

Is this still a problem. If it is can you file a bug? The only bug I see related to hotmail is <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18258> and that shouldn't keep anyone from accessing hot mail

#49 Re: Re: Re: M13 Build

by kc7gza

Thursday January 27th, 2000 10:25 AM

According to the M13 release notes mozilla still can't load all secure sites. I think hotmail is just one of the ones it can't.

#93 Re: Re: Re: M13 Build

by danielhill <danielhill@hotmail.com>

Friday January 28th, 2000 6:00 AM

Hotmail uses Microsoft Passport to logon, which requires SSL. When SSL is available, you should be able to use Hotmail.

#22 Re: M13 Build

by Hendy99 <gbhendy1@bigpond.net.au>

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 8:31 PM

My Browsing goes: >65% Moz 30% NS 4.7 <5% IE 5

Mail I am using Moz for, and I am using it for news too (seems to work OK for me)

Using a M14 Nightly. I'm not going back to milestones. You can't make me. ;)

#26 Re: M13 Build

by Hendy99 <gbhendy1@bigpond.net.au>

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 8:49 PM

I just have a download link in my personal toolbar folder :P

#33 Re: M13 Build

by jturner

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 10:20 PM

< 5% of browsing 0% email 0% news

I'm doing work in an SSL environment all day every day. Now that export restrictions have been relaxed, i would like to SSL capable builds start appearing. If so, i would start using as my standard browser.

#38 Re: M13 Build

by Octavian

Thursday January 27th, 2000 3:58 AM

I just decided to make M13 my default browser from now on, so expect some bug reports from me :-).

#42 Re: Re: M13 Build

by onyo <efontejr@netscape.net>

Thursday January 27th, 2000 6:34 AM

Its stable in Win 32 (98 & 2000)and its now faster and have not crashed on me.

#43 Re: Re: Re: M13 Build

Thursday January 27th, 2000 6:39 AM

You must have a tremendous amount of RAM memory if you think it is fast in Windows 98.

#52 Re: Re: Re: Re: M13 Build

by gerbilpower <gerbil@ucdavis.edu>

Thursday January 27th, 2000 10:40 AM

There are some times when Mozilla feels sluggish, but I am using it for 99% of my browsing is because it's more stable than both Netscape and IE on my computer. It's probably my computer but as long as Mozilla works I'll keep on using it and submit bug reports :)

<:3)~~

#74 Speed.

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Thursday January 27th, 2000 3:22 PM

I run win32 mozilla regularly on a P100 with 16 MB of RAM. I also run it on a P90 with 32 MB RAM and a PII350 with 64 MB RAM. It is pretty slow on the P100 and very usable on the P90. It is more than just _usable_ on the PII350, it moves really quick.

-Asa (posted painlessly with mozilla on a P90 with 32MB RAM)

#94 Re: Speed.

Friday January 28th, 2000 6:43 AM

Well my computer has 32 megabytes of RAM and the Mozilla web browser seems to be tolerable when it starts. Its performance quickly decreases as I view webpages. After approximately 10 minutes, it becomes slower than Netscape Communicator with Java. When are they planning to fix the memory leaks?

#46 Re: M13 Build

by RvR <mozillazine@mozillazine-fr.org>

Thursday January 27th, 2000 7:35 AM

99% browser

(Nav4 is useful for realaudio and bugs verification)

but i must admit this : 0.5% mail 0.5% news

i'm not too proud of it as a Mozilla tester... but as a Linux user once you have learned to use such tools as mutt (mail) or slrn (news), you can't help using them. they're so efficient.

#70 Re: M13 Build

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Thursday January 27th, 2000 2:50 PM

I browse with mozilla 90% of the time at work and about 60% of the time at home.

I read and compose mail and news exclusively with mozilla.

I have been using mozilla composer about 20% of the time and Netsape composer 80% of the time.

Asa (posted with mozilla for sure)

#10 m13

by jedbro

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 6:25 PM

Right now Moz is about 80% of my browsing, 50% mail an 0% news

#14 For those of you who wanted it...

by WillyWonka

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 7:12 PM

You can have the choice not to install Mail and News.

If you run the install, you can select custom and remove it. But you still have to download it in one package for now.

#15 Why the size difference between Windows builds?

by tnikkel

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 7:33 PM

The 3 different versions of the windows builds differ by about 1 meg. I understand why the talkback build it bigger, but why is the installer build much smaller?

#18 Re: Why the size difference between Windows builds

by Kaoslord <kaoslord@chaos-productions.com>

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 7:54 PM

the installer builds have compression as those wizardy installer programs have pretty good compression schemes.

#27 Plus

by gerbilpower <gerbil@ucdavis.edu>

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 9:03 PM

I know this is the case for the regular builds, and not sure about the milestones, but the compressed builds contain some extra test programs that take up space. They eliminated much of this for the install build.

<:3)~~

#28 Re: Different Sizes

by WillyWonka

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 9:03 PM

Its because the zip and talkback versions include all the files used for debugging. The install version has all of those files removed. Thats why its smaller.

#35 Re: Re: Different Sizes

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 11:07 PM

I would like a list of the test files so I can delete them.

#51 Re: Re: Re: Different Sizes

by gerbilpower <gerbil@ucdavis.edu>

Thursday January 27th, 2000 10:39 AM

It's easy, they are basically all the EXE files with the word "test" in their name. I am not sure if other files with "test" in their name are also one of them but I know its safe to delete the EXE ones.

You can also download both the ZIP and the installer builds and compare them to see what files are missing.

<:3)~~

#64 Thank you. n/t

Thursday January 27th, 2000 1:53 PM

Thank you.

#16 experimental/debub??

by jazzman45

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 7:33 PM

just browsing through the nightlies... check this out.

<ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub…ghtly/experimental/debug/>

someone want to try this? it's 8.5MB, entitled "seamonkey-win32d.zip"

#75 Re: experimental/debub??

by fresh <icos@arez.com>

Thursday January 27th, 2000 3:41 PM

couldn't get it to run, gkhtml.dll failed. will try later.

#79 Simple Answer

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Thursday January 27th, 2000 5:39 PM

It is a debug build. It is built with the debug code turned on (hense the size difference).

just a guess,

Asa (posted with mozilla)

#17 Can someone explain the different Win32 builds?

by just

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 7:34 PM

Hi,

Just wondering what the difference is between: mozilla-win32-M13.zip and mozilla-win32-installer-M13.exe? Yeah I guess the latter actually installs from an installer but then why is the file size smaller? (4845Kb compared to 5674Kb) Are there any components missing?

I remember that initially the version that included fullcircle didn't include some components or something but I assume this isn't the case anymore (as the filesize is now larger than the others).

Just thought I'd see if anyone knew anything.

#29 Re: Can someone explain the different Win32 builds

by gerbilpower <gerbil@ucdavis.edu>

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 9:05 PM

There is no difference between the two builds, it's just that the ZIP version contain some test programs, while the installer build is stripped of those programs.

<:3)~~

#20 Why news usually doesn't work

by ywwg

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 8:14 PM

Password-authenticated news is not fully implimented yet, so if you need a password to access your news server, it might not work. You can follow the progress of this bug at <<http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12924>>

#21 Re: Why news usually doesn't work

by ywwg

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 8:15 PM

sorry, I didn't realize how mozillazine does links. Try this: <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12924>

#23 Mozilla and AOL; wanna laugh?

by sdonner <stephendonner@earthlink.net>

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 8:36 PM

------- Additional Comments From <leger@netscape.com> 2000-01-26 15:31 ------- Please Add for <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=19314>: "Using AOL as your internet access and running Mozilla build at the same time may have problems for AOL 4.0 and earlier versions . No problems have been found using AOL 5.0 and Mozilla simultaneously however."

Ha! How many AOL users are going to be downloading pre-beta software and running it? I jeft...oh well, now that AOL owns Netscape I suspect this is the reasoning. Pre-AOL Netscape wouldn't have cared a lick about AOL..

#36 Re: Mozilla and AOL; wanna laugh?

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 11:14 PM

I use AOL and I downloaded Mozilla... so I guess the answer is "one".

#58 Re: Re: Mozilla and AOL; wanna laugh?

by basic <_basic@yahoo.com>

Thursday January 27th, 2000 12:19 PM

Make that 2. I use AOL ( I don't pay for it though).

Basic

#66 Re: Re: Re: Mozilla and AOL; wanna laugh?

Thursday January 27th, 2000 1:56 PM

I do not pay for it either. I believe that is the only way America Online can be worth its price.

#24 Mozilla FTP Down?

by Anon

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 8:39 PM

When I log on to the Mozilla.org FTP server, all I seem to get is README and Welcome.msg, with no other folders. The link in the article doesn't work either. Is this just because the Mozilla FTP server is busy?

#25 Re: Mozilla FTP Down?

by Anon

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 8:43 PM

Hmmph... works now that I opened IE :(

but it still doesn't work with Netscape...

#30 Mozilla FTP

by WillyWonka

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 9:07 PM

I tried accessing a FTP server and all it gave me was a blank page.

A similar thing if I have a broken link and I open in a new window... I just get a blank page.

So I take it FTP is busted in M13... oh well, there is always M14 :)

#37 FTP Problem

by ezh <ezh@menelon.ee>

Thursday January 27th, 2000 3:44 AM

I have the same problem sometimes. I think it's NN...

#89 Re: Mozilla FTP Down?

by gwalla <gwalla@despammed.com>

Friday January 28th, 2000 12:39 AM

Slashdot effect?

#31 Wonderful M13 (Mac)...

by devSin

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 9:32 PM

Ran the Mozilla app. Seamonkey release notes are the homepage. Clicked to minimize the sidebar. Proceeded to crash HARD. Runs worse than M13 nightly builds. Oh well - just have to wait for M14.

#48 Re: Wonderful M13 (Mac)...

by mstearne <mstearne@eisolutions.com>

Thursday January 27th, 2000 8:50 AM

Try an M14 build, I downloaded one a couple of days ago and it worked well. They even have fixed the migrating of profiles from 4.x to 5, so you can use the MozillaInstaller program.

#65 win and sidebar

by doron

Thursday January 27th, 2000 1:54 PM

win98, and opening and closing sidebar crashes mozilla. already submitted it as a bug.

m14? where?

#81 M14 development began a week ago

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Thursday January 27th, 2000 6:39 PM

The Milestone Releases are not the only available builds. Every day (almost) there are builds pushed for win32, mac and linux to the /nightly directory on the mozilla FTP server. There builds are the cutting edge and therefor often are not as stable as the releases. But if you want to use the latest mozilla available check out a nightly. There has been almost a weeks worth of developoment on the path to M14. These are referred to as M14 nightlies.

Asa

(posted with mozilla)

#34 Bug 23709 appears in M13

by megaloB <megalob@jps.net>

Wednesday January 26th, 2000 10:48 PM

<http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=23709>

must be destroyed. This has killed all chance of me using Mozilla productively for the past three weeks to a month. I've voted for this bug and am planning on getting the fullcircle version just to show the QA dudes that "works for me" is never good. Fight for this bug. I'm sure there's other dudes who crash necko.dll at many inorportune moments. (all the time)

#39 plugins and java

by termite

Thursday January 27th, 2000 4:41 AM

Will someone please tell me how to get things like flash, realplayer and java working in mozilla? That's pretty much the last barrier to me using mozilla almost exclusively. Thanks :)

#40 plugins and java

by termite

Thursday January 27th, 2000 4:43 AM

#41 sorry

by termite

Thursday January 27th, 2000 4:44 AM

sorry for the double post

#59 Re: plugins and java

by basic <_basic@yahoo.com>

Thursday January 27th, 2000 12:32 PM

Assuming you are on win32, copy your Nav4 plugin folder to mozilla's bin folder. Note: I mean the folder itself not its contents only!

basic

#44 Proxy Server

by mdbarnes

Thursday January 27th, 2000 7:05 AM

I am unable to use mozilla at work since I have to supply a login and password for the proxy and mozilla is not recognizing the request from the proxy server

#85 Re: Proxy Server

by fbkintanar <fred@software.ntep.nec.co.jp>

Thursday January 27th, 2000 7:56 PM

I have the same problem. Is there a work around? Can I do something locally, or do I have to ask the proxy administrator do something?

Help!

Fred K. Cebu City, Philippines

#107 Re: Re: Proxy Server

by Jake <jake@bugzilla.org>

Saturday January 29th, 2000 9:53 PM

You'll have to talk to the Proxy Admin... my guess is that they have MS Proxy Server 2.0 and have it configured for NTLM (NT Challange/Responce) authentication. This is only supported in IE. See <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=23679> for information about this being added. You can also ask your admin to change this to basic/clear text or no authentication (not likely). If my estimation of the situation is wrong, you should get the particulars of your situation and submit a bug report.

#47 Mozilla finally works!

by lduperval <laurent.duperval@cgi.ca>

Thursday January 27th, 2000 8:29 AM

Good work on M14. The last version I'd gotten to work on NT was around M7 or M8. Nice interface, great speed.

One thing, though: the scrollbars in News and Mail feel weird. The thumb is really large even though it only shows a small portion of the message headers.

#84 this is fixed in teh M14 nightlies

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Thursday January 27th, 2000 7:09 PM

Dave Hyatt checked in a fix a few days ago. The problem was specific to trees. All trees in mozilla had scrollbars that did not have properly resizing thumbs. Now they work/look/feel right.

Asa (posted with mozilla)

#53 Yahoo Mail

by GregK72

Thursday January 27th, 2000 10:41 AM

Any one here use yahoo mail? I was able to connect to my yahoo and do everything I needed with M9-M12, but M13 and the early M14 builds seem to have a problem trying to connect. M13 seems to no be able to get passed the yahoo mail login screen, and M14 will consistently give "mail.yahoo.com host not found". Anyone else have these problems?

#56 Re: Yahoo Mail

by WillyWonka

Thursday January 27th, 2000 11:30 AM

Try entering the first letter of your password twice.

eg If your password is "foobar" try ffoobar

and see if that works.

#57 Re: Re: Yahoo Mail

by GregK72

Thursday January 27th, 2000 11:39 AM

Well... when I do that, I actually do get an invalid password.

#61 Re: Yahoo Mail

by gerbilpower <gerbil@ucdavis.edu>

Thursday January 27th, 2000 1:08 PM

That's really odd, I've been able to use Mozilla to access my YahooMail with no problems for months. Even "Check All" works now!

<:3)~~

#68 Re: Re: Yahoo Mail

by GregK72

Thursday January 27th, 2000 2:20 PM

as I said... it had been working for me up until M13. I guess I'll have to use Nescape 4.7 for yahoo mail for now and wait to try an M14 build later. *sigh*

#96 Re: Re: Re: Yahoo Mail

by gerbilpower <gerbil@ucdavis.edu>

Friday January 28th, 2000 11:42 AM

Well the M13 release works for me when accessing YahooMail. The M14 builds have been stable, so it's safe to try those out :)

<:3)~~

#98 Re: Yahoo Mail & M14

by GregK72

Friday January 28th, 2000 2:34 PM

I have actually tried some M14(Winblows) builds as well with no success.

#73 Re: Yahoo Mail

by GregK72

Thursday January 27th, 2000 3:19 PM

BTW... I should mention this only happens to me on the Winblows version. I just tried the Linux version and it seems to work just fine.

#54 On Mandrake 7.0

by mathman

Thursday January 27th, 2000 10:44 AM

I tried M13 on Mandrake Linux 7.0 (Pent. II 333MHz, 128 MB ram) on the test files provided and could not get any of them to work. 95 and up for processor and 19M and up for memory.

#55 Can't use it for daily browsing

by CaptainF

Thursday January 27th, 2000 11:25 AM

Hey,

although m13 is very fast and stable, I can't use it for my daily browsing.

I mostly chat and m13 is not able to load any chat pages. I just get a message, that there's no connection to the server and that I should hit reload.

Try it out at

<http://www.chatcity.de>

Then it still doesn't load some pages, maybe because of weired java-scripts. and it has probs with cgi-scripts.

#67 Re: Can't use it for daily browsing

Thursday January 27th, 2000 2:08 PM

Is it that wretched bug 1582? Wretched, wretched bug. Kill it! Kill it! Oh how I wish I had more than 5 votes.

#82 Re: Vote for Referrer Bug

by WillyWonka

Thursday January 27th, 2000 6:44 PM

Just added 2 votes to it - They were laying around on a closed bug :)

#60 On Mandrake 7.0

by mathman

Thursday January 27th, 2000 12:41 PM

#92 Re: On Mandrake 7.0 - Works great for me

by benmhall <bhall@moses.penguinpowered.com>

Friday January 28th, 2000 4:54 AM

I have a K6-2 450 and a Celeron 300A with 256 and 64MB RAM respectively. Both run M13 and the daily builds without any problems, perhaps there is something wrong with your system?

Mozilla is taking approx 24MB over four processes, Netscape has two processes, one registering 16MB, the other 30MB.

#62 Mozilla or Netscape?

by sacolcor

Thursday January 27th, 2000 1:35 PM

I just installed M13, and noticed a few things that made me pause:

- It tried to install to a 'Netscape' subdirectory'

- It had AOL Instant Messenger preinstalled as a Helper Application

- It had a netscape.com website in the wallet setup.

If these occurred as the result of migrating my 4.x profile, it's not a big deal, but they shouldn't (IMHO) come in by default...Mozilla is supposed to be officially independant of Netscape, is it not? AIM is what particularly concerned me; I dislike it, and don't want to see a bunch of ties to it in Mozilla the way there are in Navigator.

#63 ???????

by gerbilpower <gerbil@ucdavis.edu>

Thursday January 27th, 2000 1:38 PM

Are you sure you downloaded the right program?

<:3)~~

#71 Re: ???????

by sacolcor

Thursday January 27th, 2000 2:57 PM

Yep..."mozilla-win32-installer-M13.exe". Running it, the default install directory is "C:\Program Files\Netscape\Seamonkey". It seems to me that this should be "C:\Program Files\Mozilla\Seamonkey". After install, go to Preferences->Applications, and see AIM there. Then go to Preferences->Wallet and see the default wallet table is at:

<http://people.netscape.com/morse/wallet/tables/>

As I said, some of this might have migrated from my 4.7 settings...if so, I'm not too worried about it. Is anyone else seeing this?

#76 Re: Re: ???????

by gerbilpower <gerbil@ucdavis.edu>

Thursday January 27th, 2000 4:32 PM

I tried the installer once, that was over a month ago. And it's suppose to install in that directory, so don't worry about it as long as it doesn't install over your current version of Netscape.

Oh, I thought that you said that Mozilla CAME with AIM. It just probably found AIM on your computer, and that's it.

<:3)~~

#80 Re: Mozilla or Netscape?

by dave532

Thursday January 27th, 2000 5:44 PM

It's probably because most of the contributors work for Netscape and will be used to the Netscape name. The first few installer builds did refer to the product as Netscape Seamonkey then they renamed it to Mozilla Seamonkey but the old directory names still remained. As for the AIM listed in the helper applications, the helper applications part of the preferences is not hooked up yet and AOL Instant messenger is just there as a placeholder.

As for the wallet table. That's hosted on people.netscape.com this is not an official Netscape site, it's the Netscape employees site, so it's just someone who works for Netscape is hosting the wallet tables on their personal webspace.

#95 Re: Re: Mozilla or Netscape?

by sacolcor

Friday January 28th, 2000 9:07 AM

That's good to hear. If Mozilla is going to ship with a default location for wallet tables, perhaps a place should be made for them on Mozilla.org? Or is there some kind of intellectual property issue involved?

I also really think that the default install directory should be under Mozilla, not Netscape, legacy issues notwithstanding...the image of Mozilla's independence is important to maintain.

#69 Got javascript working, no Java though

by Landimal <dan@wildtangent.com>

Thursday January 27th, 2000 2:41 PM

I would love to try M13 out but, for what I do Java is essential. What do I need to do? I copied the Plugins from my NS4 directory and that make JavaScript work, but no Java. I'm using Windows 98.

#77 Javascript already works, Java needs plugin

by gerbilpower <gerbil@ucdavis.edu>

Thursday January 27th, 2000 4:35 PM

You don't need to do anything to get moment you launch Mozilla for the first time.

Java requires a plugin, but the Java 1.3 plugin is still in development and some of the pre-releases have had problems when using them with Mozilla.

<:3)~~

#78 The side bar is still broken!!!

by parallel

Thursday January 27th, 2000 5:31 PM

When I click the hide side bar blue vertical bar, the side bar hides. However when I press it again, the side bar won't come back out!?

Is this confirmed?

Godric

#83 Re: The side bar is still broken!!!

by basic <_basic@yahoo.com>

Thursday January 27th, 2000 6:50 PM

Are you talking about M13? Or the nightly builds? I'm not seeing it in M13 fullcircle build (win32). Which platform are you on?

Anyway the bug number for it is 14685

<http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14685>

I'm downloading the nightly build tonight. Will check if it shows up there.

#90 Re: Re: The side bar is still broken!!!

by parallel

Friday January 28th, 2000 2:26 AM

I meant M13 without fullcircle on NT4 SP3.

Godric

#86 Re: The side bar is still broken!!!

by gerbilpower <gerbil@ucdavis.edu>

Thursday January 27th, 2000 9:05 PM

You mean that it comes out partly, looking like some weird overlap? I believe that is a confirmed issue that shows up occasionally.

Currently, there are a bunch of bugs with the side panel.

#87 Mozilla kicks!

by jeromekwok

Thursday January 27th, 2000 9:13 PM

My Mozilla on NT is running flawlessly. Seems has attained the stability of NC47, but a bit higher CPU utilization than NC.

However Mozilla on 95 crashes very often, much worse than M12, I duno why. Reinstallation won't help. :( Perhaps there is some conflicts with...??

Mail and News no luck, crashes often.

I love Mozilla very much. Although it's just the alpha, great success!! Keep it on!!

#88 Sparc Linux

by Trick

Friday January 28th, 2000 12:03 AM

Anyone having any luck with the Sparc Linux build? I managed to build M12 from an SRPM and that worked O.K., but source buids of everything else, and the new M13 build, segfault on me every time.

Does this one work for anyone else?

#97 MikeDw

by MikeDw

Friday January 28th, 2000 12:06 PM

I use Moz at work quite a bit, since it's more stable than IE or NS on my particular machine (Win95). Not so much of an advantage at home, on Linux.

Keyboard still doesn't work in the browser though. It's a pain having to use the mouse to scroll a page.

#99 Keyboard

by Hendy99 <gbhendy1@bigpond.net.au>

Friday January 28th, 2000 7:12 PM

I am used to tabbing around and scrolling with the keyboard in Moz. I didn't know you couldn't do it!

#100 M13 Performance

by trikerider <trikerider@hempseed.com>

Friday January 28th, 2000 7:35 PM

Hey people, just thought I'd let you know that I've been using M13 for three days straight now without a crash (though I haven't tried Mail and News yet). This is on a P200 32Mb Win95 box which has been doing some very screwy things lately :)

I'm now going to play around with all the extra bits ... see if I can get it to crash :)

#101 Memory Leaks

Friday January 28th, 2000 10:36 PM

It has not crashed at all since I downloaded it. Is it supposed to take 40 seconds to load a webpage?

#102 Loading Pages :)

by Hendy99 <gbhendy1@bigpond.net.au>

Friday January 28th, 2000 11:19 PM

No, it's not supposed to take that long. looked at the debug window to see if there's a problem?

#104 Re: Loading Pages :)

Saturday January 29th, 2000 2:18 PM

The debug window was utterly useless except to tell the length of time it took for the page to load.

#105 Re: Re: Loading Pages :)

by Hendy99 <gbhendy1@bigpond.net.au>

Saturday January 29th, 2000 4:58 PM

Thing is, sometimes when a page has been loading for a while I check the debug window and see error loading page :P (and when the throbber disappears I know to restart Moz)

#106 Re: Re: Re: Loading Pages :)

Saturday January 29th, 2000 5:24 PM

Really? I have never seen the throbber disappear. I have seen the debug window say the page took 78.01 seconds to load.

#109 The Throbber :P

by Hendy99 <gbhendy1@bigpond.net.au>

Sunday January 30th, 2000 7:17 PM

Sometimes, without warning or reason, the throbber just disappears on my system. There is no particular action that causes it afaik, and it can happen after a short or long period of time. If I continue using it after that, Moz just falls in a heap :P

#108 Re: Re: Loading Pages :)

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Sunday January 30th, 2000 10:26 AM

The console window isn't realy a debug window. It is an output of a few printfs that can help watching certain things. These items are turned on and off daily and generally aren't very useful to anyone except the particular developer that included them. But most or all of the actual debug code is turned off for the nightly and release builds. A debug build is about 30% larger than a nightly and I hope to see them available at <ftp://ftp.mozilla.org> soon. I don't think that mozilla.org needs to post one nightly but maybe once a week or every two weeks (at bare minimum, it would be nice to have a debug build available with each milestone.) Alan has found a nice shareware tool for debug output and I think that those of us who don't have strong enough machines to build ourselves (me, a P100 with 16MB RAM would take all day) would be willing to run these larger/slower builds when it would help the bug fixing process.

Asa

#103 No success on SuSE 6.3

by jimbo1

Saturday January 29th, 2000 3:08 AM

On SuSE Linux 6.3:

jimbo@raptus:/usr/home/jimbo/mozilla > ./mozilla .//run-mozilla.sh ./mozilla-bin MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/home/jimbo/mozilla LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/home/jimbo/mozilla SHLIB_PATH=/usr/home/jimbo/mozilla LIBPATH=/usr/home/jimbo/mozilla MOZ_PROGRAM=./mozilla-bin MOZ_TOOLKIT= moz_debug=0 moz_debugger= ************************************************** nsNativeComponentLoader: SelfRegisterDll(/usr/home/jimbo/mozilla/components/libnsjpg.so) Load FAILED with error: libjpeg.so.62: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory ************************************************** nNCL: registering deferred (0) .//run-mozilla.sh: line 29: 10480 Segmentation fault $prog ${1+"$@"}

#110 Re: No success on SuSE 6.3

by alistair

Monday January 31st, 2000 9:16 AM

I have a similar problem with SuSe 6.2. I managed to find and install the LibJpeg.so file version 6.2 which Mozilla now seems to require and adjust the LD_Library_Path to include these files but I now get the message "Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:". Any SuSe user with any ideas or solutions, Mozilla was working fine up to M11.