Jazilla's Second Stable Release

Tuesday January 18th, 2000

Matthew Schmidt writes, "On Jan. 14th, the Jazilla Project released it's 2nd stable release. For those of you that don't know what Jazilla is, it's a 100% pure Java web browser that aims to fill the void that HotJava was supposed to fill for Java web viewing. New in this release is an automatic bug reporter, a new bookmarks system based on XML and numerous bug fixes to make Jazilla more stable. We are in need of programmers, and work on our new renderer which will support all the tags in the W3C standard has begun. Stay tuned for more info. Expect a new release every month or so."

#1 project page is not updated very often

by jilles

Wednesday January 19th, 2000 2:33 PM

I was a bit disappointed that the project page has not been updated. It still lists M1 (september '99) as it's last date and the rest of the site appears to be more or less the same too.

For someone like me (interested java developer) that's a pitty. I probably won't contribute code (no time, sigh) but I'm interested in what the actual status of this thing is. Also more details on what actually has been implemented, the project goals and motivation, current probelms, etc. would be nice.

Judging from the speed mozilla is progressing, I think the jazilla project would benefit from a little more accesibility. A good start might be to have more jazilla related news on this site.

#3 Re: project page is not updated very often

by FrodoB

Wednesday January 19th, 2000 6:31 PM

We're talking to someone right now who volunteered in the last week to help out with the pages and documentation. So it probably will get better. :)

#9 Re: project page is not updated very often

by aaronl

Thursday January 20th, 2000 10:22 PM

I concur! I've been extremely interested in the Jazilla project but it's hard to get any kind of real feeling about it from the web site.

#2 how do i run this?

by jazzman45

Wednesday January 19th, 2000 3:28 PM

at risk of sounding stupid, how do i run this thing?

#4 Re: how do i run this?

by FrodoB

Wednesday January 19th, 2000 6:33 PM

If you got the pre-compiled version, you need to run "jmake -run" from the directory you extracted to (on my machine, it's c:\jazilla\javamozilla; YMMV).

Of course, you need a JVM installed and in the PATH environment variable for this to work. I can probably get a batch file checked in that'll do nothing more than actually run the thing, but that's not in this release.

#6 Re: how do i run this?

by Hard_Code

Thursday January 20th, 2000 9:37 AM

Hi, I worked on creating a makefile and scripts that would make it easy to run jazilla off the bat. You have at least two options:

run jazilla.bat or jazilla.sh depending on your system (windows/*nix)

or

run jmake.bat with the parameter "run"

"jmake.bat run"

jmake.bat is a front-end script to the pure java make utility we use. Java make is used to compile, build releases, generate docs, and even run jazilla.

These should work off the bat without need for any configuration.

Aaron

#8 Re: Re: how do i run this?

by FrodoB

Thursday January 20th, 2000 11:38 AM

Feel free to kick me, Aaron. I didn't even notice jazilla.bat. :) (We could probably use an icon for it....)

#5 Everybody loves...

by ess

Wednesday January 19th, 2000 11:54 PM

Everybody loves screenshots, but I didn't see any on the site. Someone care to snap a few and post an URL here?

#7 Re: Everybody loves...

by bmetzler <bmetzler@pluto.twistedpair.net>

Thursday January 20th, 2000 10:42 AM

I managed to snag a few screenshots. I posted them at: <http://www.geocities.com/bmetzl1999/jazilla/>

#10 Re: Everybody loves...

by falynn <mschmidt@jmonkey.com>

Saturday January 22nd, 2000 8:26 PM

I posted some screenshots of my own from the most recent snapshot of the CVS server. <http://www.jmonkey.com/~m…azilla/screens/index.html>

Matt