Performance Degredation Over Time

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
tonyb

Performance Degredation Over Time

Post by tonyb »

When running on RedHat 9, using the xft build for Red Hat 8 on Mozilla 1.3 (also noticed with the pre-installed Mozilla 1.2.1 xft/gtk2 install for RedHat 9), performance can often degrade after browsing for a while.

After a while, Mozilla becomes increasingly unresponsive until it's unusably slow. Quitting or killing it and starting up again seems to resolve the problem, although comes back after not too long.

Anyone else notice this?
danola

Yes

Post by danola »

I'm seeing this as well, using both the "experimental" gtk2 builds (I'm now using 2003043011) and the nightly xft-enabled builds from http://www.hut.fi/u/tontti/mozilla/latest-trunk .

Very, very annoying... :-(

/dan
scratch

Post by scratch »

if you're using a debug build, you can use the garbage collection menu item to fix it. that's on all OSes though, so I'm not sure if the issue you're talking about is more specific.
danola

Post by danola »

Assuming you mean "Flush memory" in the Debug menu, it doesn't help at all.

Anyway, I don't think this is directly related to memory leaks: sometimes the slowdown happens with mozilla using 40MB of memory, sometimes 80MB.

Sure, Mozilla gets a bit slower the more memory it leaks, but this is something else. After browsing for a while, even the simplest of pages takes a minute or so to render (as opposed to less than a second with a newly restarted Mozilla). And a restart is the only "fix" I've been able to find.

/dan