.mp3 added to all downloads

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
emrldjetta

.mp3 added to all downloads

Post by emrldjetta »

If I click on a link that says click here to begin download or something similar from say Tucows it always says I am about to download a audio file of applicationname.exe.mp3 or applicationname.zip.mp3. It does the same thing when I right click and select save target as. Why is it adding .mp3 to everything? Is this a bug in Windows version because I have never had this problem with my Mac.
Please don't yell that this is the wrong forum if this is error is my fault, I think this type of problem exists for other people too because I did a search and found a few threads of a similar nature but no conclusion was really reached, the participants degenerated to flaming each other.
Thanks in advance for all helpful replies.
E
raj_bhaskar

Post by raj_bhaskar »

Have you associated .mp3 with the application/octet-stream MIME type? Try going to prefs -> navigator -> helper applications and remove anything for application/octet-stream

Does this help?
emrldjetta

Post by emrldjetta »

Yes I think it has helped solve the problem. I initiated a few downloads and it simply wanted to save them as .zip instead of the .zip.mp3 like before. Will anything else be messed up by deleting this?
Thanx raj.......
E
raj_bhaskar

Post by raj_bhaskar »

emrldjetta wrote:Will anything else be messed up by deleting this

No, AFAIK, nothing else should be messed up by deleting that. You probably shouldn't have application/octet-stream assigned to anything anyway, since this is often the default MIME type when the server doesn't know anything about the given file type -- it just says that what follows is some kind of binary file.