Source Viewer

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
aspr1n

Source Viewer

Post by aspr1n »

Hi all,

This maybe an inappropriate feature request for Phoenix, rather than full Moz, but as I am now using Phoenix almost exclusively I'd prefer to see it here:

Previously, when designing pages we had been using Dreamweaver, but since the MX version has been released, you may as well write xhtml and php in ancient greek for all the good MX is with it. So we have dropped it, and retuned to editing source files directly.

What I would really like is a "simple" text editor that colour codes tags for xhtml/php/jsp/css, which then when edited can refresh the Phoenix browser window behind. A full GUI ie. composer, we find is unnecessary, so I am not suggesting anything as heavy, just something simple light and fast.

asp
"any activity becomes creative when the doer cares about doing it right or doing it better".
BlueBeBe

Post by BlueBeBe »

I would love that too.

Don't need a html editor. Just a simple text editor.
flii

Post by flii »

this program probably isn't going to do the refresh-from-behind thing, but context is what i use for all my web designing. you can download extra highlighters from the site, and they have quite a few including ;) php, jsp, and css (i think xhtml might be in the default highlighter, so you don't need to download an extra one.) besides, it's 100% free.

http://fixedsys.com/context/
aspr1n

Post by aspr1n »

conText looks kind of cool, but I guess what I was thinking was a split 3 pane window - p'raps 2 at the top plus the main text editor.

The top left would display the file path, the top right shows linked files. So if I clicked xyz.php in the top left, the main pane would show the file contents, but the top right would show linked files ie. css, jsp files linked in with either "@import url" or "src". Selecting one of those shows the contents of that file in the main window.

If it was made extendable, you could set it to show PHP include() files in the link pane as well etc etc.

Also why use some dodgy GUI app like MX to display the results when you have a perfectly good standard compliant browser to show them - hence the refresh idea (maybe on a temp file).

asp
"any activity becomes creative when the doer cares about doing it right or doing it better".
flii

Post by flii »

well, i knew context isn't exactly what you wanted, but i figured if you couldn't find anything else, at least it would highlight all your text for you and be a "simple text editor" that is actually decent.
aspr1n

Post by aspr1n »

yeah I agree, definately one to keep - better than my current notepad ;-)

It's just occured to me that two side bars would be ideal to use as my "Path" and "Resource" panes, with the main windows showing the source, perhaps F12 opens a new tab and displays the page rather than the source?

Wouldn't have thought that too tricky to do as Phoenix would interpret linked resources normally.
shimage

Post by shimage »

Flii wrote:this program probably isn't going to do the refresh-from-behind thing, but context is what i use for all my web designing. you can download extra highlighters from the site, and they have quite a few including ;) php, jsp, and css (i think xhtml might be in the default highlighter, so you don't need to download an extra one.) besides, it's 100% free.

http://fixedsys.com/context/

it's cool and all, but why does it support BibTeX, but not LaTeX? that seems a little odd. at least to me...
edit: nm. found it. interesting. at least now i have a weeney windows latex-aware text-editor, though i'm not sure why i wanted one in the first place...
flii

Post by flii »

shimage wrote:interesting. at least now i have a weeney windows latex-aware text-editor, though i'm not sure why i wanted one in the first place...

i can think of nothing else to say to that except LMAO.
alanjstr

Re: Source Viewer

Post by alanjstr »

aspr1n wrote:Hi all,

This maybe an inappropriate feature request for Phoenix, rather than full Moz, but as I am now using Phoenix almost exclusively I'd prefer to see it here:

Previously, when designing pages we had been using Dreamweaver, but since the MX version has been released, you may as well write xhtml and php in ancient greek for all the good MX is with it. So we have dropped it, and retuned to editing source files directly.

What I would really like is a "simple" text editor that colour codes tags for xhtml/php/jsp/css, which then when edited can refresh the Phoenix browser window behind. A full GUI ie. composer, we find is unnecessary, so I am not suggesting anything as heavy, just something simple light and fast.

asp

TextPad does code highlighting for Java and more. Or you could try 1st Page 2000.
ishopnude_com

Post by ishopnude_com »

I have been using Textpad for years and it works great for this. The Textpad has downloadable "Syntax Definition" files doe just about every file type known to mankind. Check it out, it rocks.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

BTW, anyone that knows of a GOOD Freeware texteditor for win that has TABS?

Currently I use Ultra Edit but it isn't freeware and it's about time to upgrade my version (and I'm a cheap bastard :P).
Sofar at least I havn't seen anything getting anywhere close to UltraEdit in functionallity (especially tabs are rare). Any suggestions?
djst

Post by djst »

Stefan wrote:BTW, anyone that knows of a GOOD Freeware texteditor for win that has TABS?

Currently I use Ultra Edit but it isn't freeware and it's about time to upgrade my version (and I'm a cheap bastard :P).
Sofar at least I havn't seen anything getting anywhere close to UltraEdit in functionallity (especially tabs are rare). Any suggestions?

Try Texturizer: http://texturizer.net/

:)
flii

Post by flii »

umm stefan... did you try context? it uses tabs for each file.
shimage

Post by shimage »

Stefan wrote:BTW, anyone that knows of a GOOD Freeware texteditor for win that has TABS?

i have not found anything better than <a href="http://space.mit.edu/~davis/jed/">jed</a> (no tabs, though... you have to go through a buffer menu :(). i'd use <a href="http://www.xemacs.org">xemacs</a> instead, but it's a bit heavy for my taste... (50MB?! for a text editor?!). oh, it might also be good to mention here that jed does <i>not</i> support the windows clipboard... though xemacs <i>does</i>. though if you don't already use emacs, i think it's gonna be a hard sell....

@djst
i really do like your text editor (the macro implementation is far superior to anything else that's free, and the custom syntax highlighting ain't too shabby either, imho), but it's missing a few things that are fairly common in programming text editors. eg 1) it does not seem to support commenting out selected text via line comments (some languages don't have block comments, and i still haven't found a windows native text editor that will not only auto indent, but do auto other formatting as well [like, say, line comments]), 2) it does not match delimiters, (though, when i think about it... it should be a no brainer to make a macro for this, so scratch that one off) by default, and 3) it does not seem to support "real" word wrapping. by '"real" word wrapping', i mean that it does not insert hard returns. that being the case, i'd really like to know how you made your readme.txt...

if it does, in fact support this stuff (really, the only thing that's stopping me is that last one, cause it's a real PITA for me...) i'd buy it in a second :)

edit: stupid smilies... hmm. and links are good...
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

Another good editor for Windows: MED. Unfortunately not free, but not expensive either, and the evaluation version is unrestricted except you can only print once in a session.