Plugins and Firebird (old FAQ thread)

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Hendikins

Plugins and Firebird (old FAQ thread)

Post by Hendikins »

Due to the high number of questions about Plugins, I have written some FAQs on this subject.

Major issues with Plugins
<ul>
<li>Installing Macromedia Flash Player on Windows may corrupt Mozilla Firebird [FAQ] [Bug 206029]</li>
<li>If you are using JRE 1.4.2 on Windows, you may need to apply this registry patch for it to work.</li>
<li>You may not be able to print PDF documents from Mozilla Firebird if you have Adobe Reader 6.0 installed [Bug 207417]</li>
<li>If you are using Mozilla Firebird on Linux, and it is built with gcc 3.x, you need to use either Sun Java Runtime Environment 1.4.2 or the gcc 3.2.1 build of the Blackdown Java Runtime Environment [More Information]</li>
</ul>
FAQs
Plugins and Mozilla Firebird (Windows)
Plugins and Mozilla Firebird (Linux)
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Macromedia Flash
Index

EDIT: The text of the FAQs has been removed from this post, as it was rather unmanageable. I will instead be linking to the FAQs.
Last edited by Hendikins on July 10th, 2003, 11:27 pm, edited 19 times in total.
seb

Re: FAQ: Plugins and Phoenix (Windows)

Post by seb »

Hendikins wrote:Q: I have Windows Media Player 9.0 installed, but Phoenix is using 6.4!

A: Known problem. See bug 193883 for a possible solution.
Am I the only one who has an error msg from Phoenix when I close it after having watched a movie or listened to something using the embedded wmp9?
I really consider adding the reg key to the installer (actually, it's already in the code, just commented because of the problem I just described). If I'm the only one to have the problem, I'll add it.

Btw, very good and useful FAQ!
Hendikins

Re: FAQ: Plugins and Phoenix (Windows)

Post by Hendikins »

seb wrote:
Hendikins wrote:Q: I have Windows Media Player 9.0 installed, but Phoenix is using 6.4!

A: Known problem. See bug 193883 for a possible solution.
Am I the only one who has an error msg from Phoenix when I close it after having watched a movie or listened to something using the embedded wmp9?
I really consider adding the reg key to the installer (actually, it's already in the code, just commented because of the problem I just described). If I'm the only one to have the problem, I'll add it.

I can't even attempt to reproduce the error message, because I don't know how well WMP 9 works under VMware, and my connection is just far too slow anyway (26.4k this morning... yuck). I'll have a look at my parents' place on Friday.

seb wrote:Btw, very good and useful FAQ!

Thanks. Although, this and any other FAQ is utterly useless if nobody actually reads it...
chrisgeleven

Post by chrisgeleven »

I am the person who originally reported that bug for WMP9 in BugZilla.

I tried the solution of adding the name 'PHOENIX.EXE' to that registry key and it has worked beautifully. No crashes with it and the plugin has worked every single time as it was intended.

Maybe you should try reinstalling WMP9. Could somehow be something corrupted. Otherwise, I have no idea what is up with your crashes.
mattcoz

Post by mattcoz »

That WMP9 fix works perfectly for me. Maybe the problem is only with specific builds of Phoenix or WMP9. I'm using 2-21 with WMP version 9.00.00.2980 and it works fine.
Hendikins

Post by Hendikins »

These FAQs have been posted to the (just added) FAQs & HOWTOs section of PluginDoc.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

Hendikins wrote:These FAQs have been posted to the (just added) FAQs & HOWTOs section of PluginDoc.

Thanks for the wonderful FAQ page! The Linux page is particularly helpful for me. :D
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
Hendikins

Post by Hendikins »

I'm able to reproduce a crash on exit when using the WMP 9.0 control with Mozilla (latest) on Win2k. I wouldn't add this registry key to the installer until it's been dealt with.

EDIT: Filed bug 201843 about this issue, since I couldn't find any obvious dupes.
seb

Post by seb »

Thanks for filing the bug. I waited for a few more feedback before adding the key to the installer, and it seems it was a good idea :)
Hendikins

Post by Hendikins »

FAQs for Adobe Acrobat Reader & Macromedia Flash are available.

FAQ & HOWTO Index
rhpt

Post by rhpt »

This is strange..The flast movie at http://www.eonline.com plays for me (the scrolling news), but the one at http://launch.yahoo.com/read/news.asp?contentID=213446 will not. It just displays a white background. Anyone have any ideas?
Hendikins

Post by Hendikins »

Added the bug 206029 post to the start of the thread - which I should have done a week ago, given the severity of it.
Hendikins

Post by Hendikins »

Hendikins

Post by Hendikins »

Adobe Reader 6.0 has been released, replacing Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.x.

No outstanding issues have been noticed on the Windows NT box I tested with.

Although there is an OS X native version of Adobe Reader 6.0, it does not appear to include a browser plugin.
shadytrees

Post by shadytrees »

Q: How do I install the Java Plugin?

A: ...Get version 1.4.1_02, not the 1.4.2 beta.

Why?