Spell Checker

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
Sammo

Spell Checker

Post by Sammo »

Does anyone know when Minotaur will have a spell checker? :)
- Sammo -
David James

Post by David James »

Probably never. I would imagine that it will be available as an extension one day though.
Pinball-Firefox maintainer.
http://david.jamesnet.ca/
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3
Sammo

Post by Sammo »

Well, I hope that there will be spell checking abilities in Minotaur or else it is basically usless an a business emailer and I, for one, will never use it. :(
- Sammo -
michel v

Post by michel v »

To put it bluntly: just get better at spelling.

You won't always have a spellchecker on hand, and if your email is going to be sensitive for business then you should really try to get perfect spelling without needing a spellchecker in any situation.
In fact, if it's going to be very sensitive, your team should make everyone's email be proofread by a peer before being sent, since a spellchecker won't save you from every possible misspelling or typo... Of course this is an excessive measure, but it just shows that being able to write without a spellchecker can only be beneficial for you and your company...
Sammo

Post by Sammo »

To me a spell checker is just as essential in a mail program as in a word processor - you certainly wouldn't want to write letters, etc. in Word for example, and be forced to either become perfect at spelling or have a hardcopy of a dictionary at hand at all times. It basically makes the use of computers useless for a major portion of work. Without spell check its useless. Isn't this one reason that we even use PC's - to become more productive and get more done in less time? Without spell check maybe we should just chuck our calculators and use an abacus. Why go back to the days of old? :mrgreen:
- Sammo -
mscott

Post by mscott »

I hope to make the spell checker a default part of the minotaur build. But first, the spell checker would need to get checked into the mozilla source in mozilla/extensions. I've heard rumors that this may happen. When it does, rest easy, Minotaur will be sure to package it up.

Until that time, we'll try to get it hooked up as an extension (when extensions are hooked up themselves =))

-Scott
Sammo

Post by Sammo »

Thanks, Scott. I'll be looking forward to using Minotaur as my default emailer once it can check spelling. :D
- Sammo -
rom

Post by rom »

Oh, shit! I completely forgot that Mozilla email client, and now Minotaur, don't have a spellchecker. I'll have to wait until it does. Any respectable email client has to have one.
rom

Post by rom »

Sammo wrote: Without spell check maybe we should just chuck our calculators and use an abacus. Why go back to the days of old? :mrgreen:

Oh, come on! Just become better at calculating in your head, and you won't need to use a spreadsheet program. And if a computation intensive document is important to you, you should have you peers do the calculations with you. Say NO to spellcheckers, calculators, word processors, and other evil things! Email is also evil, just like the whole technology thing. We must return to basics and use only snail mail. Kill computer engineers! Don't even get me started on automobiles. You should learn to run faster. Who needs cars? :mrgreen: Does this count as flame?
djst

Post by djst »

mscott wrote:I hope to make the spell checker a default part of the minotaur build. But first, the spell checker would need to get checked into the mozilla source in mozilla/extensions. I've heard rumors that this may happen. When it does, rest easy, Minotaur will be sure to package it up.

Until that time, we'll try to get it hooked up as an extension (when extensions are hooked up themselves =))

-Scott

Thanks, I've updated the FAQ.
AkiAki007

Post by AkiAki007 »

I think Spell Checked is a very easy extension: See ASpell :)
rom

Post by rom »

mscott wrote:I hope to make the spell checker a default part of the minotaur build. But first, the spell checker would need to get checked into the mozilla source in mozilla/extensions. I've heard rumors that this may happen. When it does, rest easy, Minotaur will be sure to package it up.

-Scott

There have been requests for the browser to have a spell checker to check form fields; I sure support that. With Minotaur and Phoenix being completely seperate now, they would have to duplicate the work to have a spell checker. That's a pity. With integrated Mozilla, that would've been different. Or am I mistaken?
willll

Post by willll »

rom wrote:Oh, shit! I completely forgot that Mozilla email client, and now Minotaur, don't have a spellchecker. I'll have to wait until it does. Any respectable email client has to have one.
Do you have some kind of aversion to adding extensions to Mozilla? I do, but i thought i was the only one. <a href="http://spellchecker.mozdev.org/installation.html">Spell checker</a>
Quark

Post by Quark »

rom wrote:

-Scott

There have been requests for the browser to have a spell checker to check form fields; I sure support that. With Minotaur and Phoenix being completely seperate now, they would have to duplicate the work to have a spell checker. That's a pity. With integrated Mozilla, that would've been different. Or am I mistaken?

Since extensions are supposed to be in the same format for Phoenix and Minotaur, it shouldn't be that hard to get it working in both. I see the main question coming as:
Will there be a shared storage point for extensions, so both Phoenix and Minotaur can use them. Or will you have to install an extension twice to get it to work with both?
michel v

Post by michel v »

rom wrote:Oh, come on! Just become better at calculating in your head, and you won't need to use a spreadsheet program. And if a computation intensive document is important to you, you should have you peers do the calculations with you. Say NO to spellcheckers, calculators, word processors, and other evil things!

There is a difference between being able to calculate 757x911 in your head, and being able to spell almost perfectly in your native tongue.
Spelling well is everything but difficult, and with the very nature of the Internet that makes us read page after page of well-written material, one has to wonder how people manage to still misspell some of the most common words, except by sheer laziness or unwillingness to check for the correct spelling in a dictionary and actually remember that for next time they'll have to use the word...

English is not my native tongue, yet I have hardly ever found myself needing a spellchecker. And in those rare times I took a dictionary (or if there wasn't one on my desk, I visited an online dictionary), checked the correct spelling, and remembered it. In that process I have learnt how to properly spell the word, and the next time I had to use the word I would just spell it correctly. It's not hard, and it's rewarding.