Installation of Previously Downloaded Extensions

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Wolfey

Installation of Previously Downloaded Extensions

Post by Wolfey »

A search for this turned up nothing, so I might as well see if it's even possible before I mess around with something and then break it :roll:

Anyway...If I had previously installed an extension (in the .xpi format) and went to upgrade/reinstall Mozilla (or use Mozilla on another computer), would it be possible to use the .jar files created by the extensions I downloaded to reinstall them into Mozilla? Or would I have to download/install the extensions a second time (and every time I have to upgrade/reinstall/use Mozilla on another computer)?

Just wondering about this, that's all.
raj_bhaskar

Post by raj_bhaskar »

Since the fixing of bug 162960 it's possible to install extensions to the profile directory rather than the chrome directory, but it's up to the extensions themselves to support this.

We tried this with MultiZilla but had several protests about it, so until bug 196649 is fixed, I don't know that many extensions will support this.
cdn

Post by cdn »

you would need to relate installed-chrome.txt entries to the extension(s) that put them there

it can be done, but the best method is downloading the xpi in the first place, reinstallation is then easy,

or as raj says when/if extensions install in the profile, for a single user installation there will be less problems, simply retain your previous profile
Wolfey

Post by Wolfey »

cdn wrote:it can be done, but the best method is downloading the xpi in the first place, reinstallation is then easy,

Uh...Why would downloading the xpi help? All I know is how to download <B>and</B> install xpi files - I've been unsuccessful in my attempts to just download them <I>without</I> installing them...

...Does this mean there is some method of <I>just</I> saving xpi files that I haven't seen before? :?
Spewey
Folder@Home

Post by Spewey »

You can right click Save As xpis. You can then drag them into an open Phoenix window to install from local drives.

But right now they (&Px) are changing a lot and re d/l'ing might be advisable for some.
Wolfey

Post by Wolfey »

Ah...All right then, I didn't think that was possible before - Thanks :)

<B>Important update:</B> I just tried this with PrefBar (and, with some source-viewing, AdBlock too) and it works perfectly :D

And...I <I>just</I> realized now...This isn't a problem with xpi files at all, but with finding xpis on mozdev.org (which is where I get the majority of my extensions) - in pretty much every case where I've downloaded an xpi from their site, the path leading to the xpi file isn't shown on the page, but it <I>does</I> appear in the source code...

...Which means that <I>all this time</I>, I <B>could</B> have saved the file <I>if</I> I had just looked for it through the HTML code first :oops:

But, once I've found the xpi file I want and can save it (quickest way right now is to load the Midas demo, create a link to that file, and download it through there via "Save Target As..."), I'm all set :)
Spewey
Folder@Home

Post by Spewey »

Glad it worked for you.

I just noticed that I mentioned Phoenix in my last post. My apologies to the Mozilla Suite regulars who bristled. I think that's my first post upstairs here and I forgot where I was. Took almost 300 before I made the plunge. Anyway, xpis work the same in both so no worries.
old jasonb

Post by old jasonb »

Spewey wrote:My apologies to the Mozilla Suite regulars who bristled. I think that's my first post upstairs here and I forgot where I was.

I couldn't help but laugh at the imagery this brought to mind. Are the "two camps" really like somewhat disgruntled roommates? <grin> Well, pretty soon we're going to be one big happy family, so more upstairs/downstairs visits and BBQs sound like a good idea to me!
Spewey
Folder@Home

Post by Spewey »

JBassford wrote:I couldn't help but laugh at the imagery this brought to mind. Are the "two camps" really like somewhat disgruntled roommates? <grin> Well, pretty soon we're going to be one big happy family, so more upstairs/downstairs visits and BBQs sound like a good idea to me!
I'm glad you found it funny. I think the roomie relationship is currently neatly summarized by Tools/Options debate:

"You put the silverware in the second drawer?! I can't believe it! Were you raised by wolves in a tenement below a crack whore's needle gallery in a ghetto?! Silverware belongs on top--everybody knows that."
cdn

Post by cdn »

I've got a foot in both 'camp's ...