Build size is up again since 2003-03-20

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Sipaq

Build size is up again since 2003-03-20

Post by Sipaq »

Hi!
Once upon a time, the Phoenix devs started with the intention to reduce the build size to the absolute minimum and to cut out every dependency, which wasn't needed. But in the last few months we're going into the opposite direction and the build size under windows has gone up 200KBytes. This is nothing large, but a reduction of bloat won't make Phoenix not only faster and less ressource hungry. It would also attract more testers with a slow modem or ISDN connection, who don't want to download huge binaries everyday or every month.

There are three bugs, which promise a lot of bloat reduction:

- <a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=171082">Bug 171082</a> (general bug on build size reduction, also a tracking bug)
- <a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=174146">Bug 174146</a> (bug regarding toolbar bloat reduction - should give Phoenix a nicer look and a snappier feeling)
- <a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=189043">Bug 189043</a> (bug regarding the elimination of many unused files in classic.jar [file containing the Phoenix default theme]. This one should reduce the build size alone by at least 170 KBytes.

Especially the last bug is interesting. David P James and I have already invested some time into it, but since David is a Linux-user and I'm a Windows-guy it's difficult for us to identify files which are only on one of these platforms and should therefore by moved to en-win.jar or en.unix.jar. There's still potential here and I would be grateful for any help or testing you could give us.
Sunbird/Calendar project webmaster
Visit the Calendar developer blog
luke17

Post by luke17 »

Hi Sipaq,
of course I would like to help. Just give me a brief howto.

cu
Mgz

Post by Mgz »

vote for bug, people........ :(
Please forgive me for my poor English
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

I posted about this a while ago. I believe there's a new component from Mozilla that is now included with Phoenix, which contributes to the size increase.
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
grayrest

Post by grayrest »

I figured it came from the extra icons in the prefs window and such.
seb

Post by seb »

daihard wrote:I posted about this a while ago. I believe there's a new component from Mozilla that is now included with Phoenix, which contributes to the size increase.
p3p? There were two size increase of ~100KB (compressed with bzip2, so maybe more with .zip compression) on the days where p3p was checked in in the trunk.
Sipaq

Post by Sipaq »

luke17 wrote:Hi Sipaq,
of course I would like to help. Just give me a brief howto.
cu

Just go to the respective bugs, for example <a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=189043">189043</a> and try to test, which files in classic.jar (which is just a normal .zip-file) can be eliminated without any loss of functionality. There is already a list in this bug, but this list is far from complete. You could also take a look at the many CSS files and eliminate all entries with redundant files. Test it. Step-by-step.

And remember: Always have a backup copy of classic.jar ready.
Sipaq

Post by Sipaq »

I've submitted another bug: <a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=200142">bug 200142</a> which covers the bloat reduction of comm.jar, which should give us another 170-200 KB less build size.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

seb wrote:
daihard wrote:I posted about this a while ago. I believe there's a new component from Mozilla that is now included with Phoenix, which contributes to the size increase.
p3p? There were two size increase of ~100KB (compressed with bzip2, so maybe more with .zip compression) on the days where p3p was checked in in the trunk.

Yeah, that's it. I totally forgot to credit you for giving that information to me. :oops:
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
Sipaq

Post by Sipaq »

Justo to keep everyone up-to-date. Right now, I have managed to reduce the phoenix windows build size by 487559 bytes with trimmed down versions of clasic.jar, comm.jar, en-us.jar and toolkit.jar. I will publish my findings shortly in the relevant bugs (my findings regarding classic.jar have already been published on bugzilla - see the relevant bug above) or in new bugs, which I will open just for that matter (bloat reduction in en-us.jar and toolkit.jar).
Piel

Post by Piel »

Sipaq wrote:Justo to keep everyone up-to-date. Right now, I have managed to reduce the phoenix windows build size by 487559 bytes with trimmed down versions of clasic.jar, comm.jar, en-us.jar and toolkit.jar. I will publish my findings shortly in the relevant bugs (my findings regarding classic.jar have already been published on bugzilla - see the relevant bug above) or in new bugs, which I will open just for that matter (bloat reduction in en-us.jar and toolkit.jar).

that would be great! have you seen a reduction in memory usage as well as startup time?
Sipaq

Post by Sipaq »

Piel wrote:
Sipaq wrote:Justo to keep everyone up-to-date. Right now, I have managed to reduce the phoenix windows build size by 487559 bytes with trimmed down versions of clasic.jar, comm.jar, en-us.jar and toolkit.jar. I will publish my findings shortly in the relevant bugs (my findings regarding classic.jar have already been published on bugzilla - see the relevant bug above) or in new bugs, which I will open just for that matter (bloat reduction in en-us.jar and toolkit.jar).

that would be great! have you seen a reduction in memory usage as well as startup time?

memory reduction has been reduced by 400 KB. I can't comment on startup time, because I haven't measured it, but don't expect it to go up :)