A Couple of Annoyances/Bugs

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
PaulS

A Couple of Annoyances/Bugs

Post by PaulS »

I'm using Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.4a) Gecko/20030316 Phoenix/0.5 - but these problems have existed for a considerable amount of time, so it's not build specific.

- Flickering menus within Phoenix, and flicking in other applications (Trillian for example) when Phoenix is running. This problem doesn't exist when the browser is first loaded, but occurs at some point over a normal course of browsing. To be honest, I haven't spent enough time trying to track down the individual things which cause this problem, so i can't tell you anymore than that. I did a forum search, and came up with:

http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewt ... flickering

Which is the exact problem i'm having, but that thread is a little old now, and didn't come to any kind of resolution. So i'm bringing it up again now.

- When clicking on Forum Image Attachments (there are probably other instances, but this is the only one i know of) I get prompted to download, rather than Phoenix automagically opening it. Again, i did a search and came up with this:

http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewt ... attachment

As with the previous problem, there is no real resolution. It links to a bugzilla page, with the post indicating that it is a problem with the Forum software, yet further up in the thread it is confirmed that it works in Mozilla, furthering the confusion over who's fault it is.

- When deleting bookmark entries with the right mouse button (not with the Manage Bookmarks option), there is not a confirmation prompt, and the menu doesn't stay visible. This isn't strictly a bug, just more of an annoyance (heh, now you know why the thread is called what it is). IE manages this perfectly, and it seems strange that Phoenix can't. I assume Mozilla shows similar behaviour, but i haven't checked. No other forum threads have brought this issue up, as far as i can see.

I know i could have mentioned each of these problems individually in the threads listed, but most of them are old/dead, so i wanted to combine the problems in one thread - I know a lot of other people suffer similar problems, so it would be nice to get some kind of solution. I'm sure there are other little problems that i've come across, but none that are important enough for me to have remembered for this post :)

Thanks,
- Paul
goa103

Post by goa103 »

> - When deleting bookmark entries with the right mouse button (not with the Manage Bookmarks option), there is not a confirmation prompt, and the menu doesn't stay visible. This isn't strictly a bug, just more of an annoyance (heh, now you know why the thread is called what it is). IE manages this perfectly, and it seems strange that Phoenix can't. I assume Mozilla shows similar behaviour, but i haven't checked. No other forum threads have brought this issue up, as far as i can see.

I totally agree thanks to that so well implemented delete feature, I was able to delete one of my most important folder without a warning. Not my fault, the bookmark itself is so buggy and it deleted it by itself (It was kind of jumping upside down, like if I was using my mousewheel, I click on a link, I got a right click... I press the left mouse button and it deleted a folder...)

JM
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

The first thing you really need to do is upgrade your browser. Lots of bugs you may have experienced 4 months ago could be fixed by now.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
goa103

Post by goa103 »

Hi,

I use Mozilla 0.6, I had some problems with TBE installed so I disabled it but Mozilla's behaviour is still weird.

Thanks for the tip,
JM
shadytrees

Post by shadytrees »

goa103 wrote:Hi,

I use Mozilla 0.6, I had some problems with TBE installed so I disabled it but Mozilla's behaviour is still weird.

Thanks for the tip,
JM

Please tell me you use Firebird or else you really have an old browser.

What kind of problems with TBE?

BTW, Phoenix is now Firebird although you can still call it Phoenix if you want. :-)
Paradox52525

Post by Paradox52525 »

The flickering problem seems to be related to certain flash animations. For instance go here:

http://www.gpsoft.com.au/Download.html

The download page for my favorite file manager, Directory Opus. The ripply flash animation at the top causes my menus to flicker every time. However if I just close that page it goes away, so it's not that big a problem IMO. Still nice to see it fixed sometime though.
eternal

Post by eternal »

I can confirm both "When clicking on Forum Image Attachments (there are probably other instances, but this is the only one i know of) I get prompted to download, rather than Phoenix automagically opening it"

.. and ...

"Flickering menus within Phoenix"

The first one is especially annoying!

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.5a) Gecko/20030702 Mozilla Firebird/0.6