mozilla dont open *pdf files

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
siggi

mozilla dont open *pdf files

Post by siggi »

hi, i hope this hasn't been up yet, couldn't find anything. The problem is "with" acrobat reader 5.1 installed, mozilla still doesnt show pages in the pdf-format. Everytime i have to save the page first and then open with acro-reader. i think its not a big problem for the "experts", for me it is.
tks for any advise
fondacio

Post by fondacio »

It should work without any problem if you've installed Acrobat Reader properly. There should be a file called nppdf32.dll in the Mozilla plugins folder, of which the default location on Win9x is

C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\mozilla\Plugins

If it's not there, try copying it from

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\Browser

to the Mozilla plugins folder. Otherwise, you can try re-installing Acrobat Reader.
siggi

Post by siggi »

done all that, the file is there, still doesn't work. Beats me!!!!!
fondacio

Post by fondacio »

Is QuickLaunch on maybe? You have to restart Mozilla completely (i.e., also close QuickLaunch) and launch it again before the plugin will load.
jgraham

Post by jgraham »

Does this happen with all sites or just some? If a particular site had the mime type for pdf files configured incorrectly then it wouldn't work (the obvious symptoms would be the browser displaying a whole load of garbage on the screen rather than the file, or the 'what do you want to do with this file' dialog showing a non-pdf mimetype.

I guess that's not the problem here though.

What does edit - preferences - helper applications have to say about application/pdf files? If there's an entry for application/pdf here what does it say? If it says something like 'Open with Acrobat Reader' then clicking on a pdf file should at least bring up acrobat and open the file, even if it doesn't appear in the Mozilla window. If there is an entry, you could try deleting it, and next time you open a pdf file, manually pointing it toward the acrobat executable (Using the 'Open with...' option when Mozilla asks 'What do you want to do with this file')

And what does about:plugins have to say? If there's nothing about pdf files in about:plugins, mozilla isn't picking up the acrobat plugin. That suggests that it hasn't installed properly in the 'plugins' directory. In the past Acrobat has been quite helpful at detecting this itself and offering to automatically configure itself, so i'm not sure why that doesn't work.
siggi

Post by siggi »

tks, jgraham, i think u helped me a lot. i checked the pref-helper- entries, it only said "application/pdf", but nothing about AR.exe. i just changed that, so it should work. Cant check right now, but i will come back and post
the results.
siggi
bzbarsky

Post by bzbarsky »

siggi wrote:tks, jgraham, i think u helped me a lot. i checked the pref-helper- entries, it only said "application/pdf", but nothing about AR.exe.
You could just change that to "use the default app"....
siggi

Post by siggi »

sorry to tell, but it still doesn't work, Acrob.Reader doesnt open, and mozi gives me an empty page, telling me in
the bottom line- left hand side - READY. So to find out if it is just this site, could someone give me a link with a
*. pdf so i can test it again? Tks for trubbling.......!
bzbarsky

Post by bzbarsky »

siggi wrote: could someone give me a link with a
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw2w3_02.pdf
Alex Bishop
mozillaZine Admin

Post by Alex Bishop »

bzbarsky wrote:
siggi wrote: could someone give me a link with a
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw2w3_02.pdf

And an interesting PDF file? ;-)
Alex
fondacio

Post by fondacio »

Keep in mind that sometimes there can be a delay before Acrobat Reader is started, e.g. when Mozilla first download the PDF file and then opens it. This depends on the server on which it is located. <A HREF="http://www.icj-cij.org/icjwww/idocket/iybh/iybhjudgment/iybh_ijudgment_20030203_Rezek.PDF">Here</A> is an 8 kB PDF, so that should be small enough to test.
siggi

Post by siggi »

tks guys, i'll try each of them. As i am off to my second home - spain, i will post the result next week.
siggi
siggi

Post by siggi »

fondacio, i start clicked on the link u posted, same shit again, everything frozen, nothing happened, so what is
wrong??????
Even had to open the forum-link again. Blasted........
siggi

Post by siggi »

interesting, or should i say, funny-hehehe.
The "irs.gov." link opened perfectly when i entered it in the headline, i am wondering whats wrong, this one works
directly in mozilla, others dont, or freeze!!!
by the way i got an error message from irs telling me to check the url, its not up do date or has been changed.
so much for laughs, tks guys,
see u next week
fondacio

Post by fondacio »

siggi wrote:fondacio, i start clicked on the link u posted, same shit again, everything frozen, nothing happened, so what is
wrong??????
Even had to open the forum-link again. Blasted........

Strange. It should start Acrobat Reader in your active window and load the document. I'm not sure if there's anything else I can suggest, but if the IRS thing works, you really are a very special case. What other browsers do you have installed? And which OS are you on? And maybe it would help to know in which order you installed all relevant applications.