Phoenix Project Page

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
ishopnude_com

Phoenix Project Page

Post by ishopnude_com »

..seems to have changed tonight. The links to see what was fixed/changed today/this week are gone. Those were nice as I could follow the progress and see what has changed. I was noticing that Blake seemed to be the only one making changes though?

Where'd the links go?
asa

Re: Phoenix Project Page

Post by asa »

ishopnude_com wrote:..seems to have changed tonight. The links to see what was fixed/changed today/this week are gone. Those were nice as I could follow the progress and see what has changed. I was noticing that Blake seemed to be the only one making changes though?

Where'd the links go?

Unfortunately Phoenix has become too popular :) There were too many people running those queries and it was slowing our tools down too much. Bonsai is primarily a developer and QA tool and while "following the progress" is cool, it's not critical to the project and development and QA are so I removed the links. There's nothing stopping you from running the query yourself but making it that easy was bogging it down with a lot of non-development traffic. Sorry.

--Asa
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

asa wrote:the progress" is cool, it's not critical to the project and development and QA are so I removed the links. There's nothing stopping you from running the query yourself

Actually there is. I looked for it yesterday but I could not figure out what component would get me Phoenix.
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

Stefan wrote:
asa wrote:the progress" is cool, it's not critical to the project and development and QA are so I removed the links. There's nothing stopping you from running the query yourself

Actually there is. I looked for it yesterday but I could not figure out what component would get me Phoenix.

Directories mozilla/browser and mozilla/toolkit comprise the Phoenix code.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Ted Mielczarek wrote:Directories mozilla/browser and mozilla/toolkit comprise the Phoenix code.

Thanks a bunch :)
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

asa wrote:
ishopnude_com wrote:..seems to have changed tonight. The links to see what was fixed/changed today/this week are gone. Those were nice as I could follow the progress and see what has changed. I was noticing that Blake seemed to be the only one making changes though?

Where'd the links go?

Unfortunately Phoenix has become too popular :) There were too many people running those queries and it was slowing our tools down too much. Bonsai is primarily a developer and QA tool and while "following the progress" is cool, it's not critical to the project and development and QA are so I removed the links. There's nothing stopping you from running the query yourself but making it that easy was bogging it down with a lot of non-development traffic. Sorry.

--Asa

Maybe we could get a bonsai summary that was updated once a day? I'm sure a lot of people would like to see the progress, and having a static version would reduce the load. Actually, I guess anyone could do this.
seb

Post by seb »

Yes, something like MozillaNews' BonsaiWatch http://www.mozillanews.org/bonsai.php3 would be cool.
asa

Post by asa »

Ted Mielczarek wrote:Maybe we could get a bonsai summary that was updated once a day? I'm sure a lot of people would like to see the progress, and having a static version would reduce the load. Actually, I guess anyone could do this.

Yeah, Sounds like a good daily topic for the Phoenix Builds forum. Maybe someone can do this (probably not me)

--Asa
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

asa wrote:
Ted Mielczarek wrote:Maybe we could get a bonsai summary that was updated once a day? I'm sure a lot of people would like to see the progress, and having a static version would reduce the load. Actually, I guess anyone could do this.

Yeah, Sounds like a good daily topic for the Phoenix Builds forum. Maybe someone can do this (probably not me)

--Asa

I'm going to make a daily wget cron job to snag the "last week's checkins" bonsai query. Do you think I should leave all the internal links to bonsai intact, or strip them out? They're neat, but it might still cause more queries than needed.
asa

Post by asa »

Ted Mielczarek wrote:I'm going to make a daily wget cron job to snag the "last week's checkins" bonsai query. Do you think I should leave all the internal links to bonsai intact, or strip them out? They're neat, but it might still cause more queries than needed.

I think most people will only care about the checkin comment. A few may click through to see diffs and whatnot but I don't think that's nearly as big of a problem as the checkin query itself.

--Asa
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

asa wrote:I think most people will only care about the checkin comment.

Agreed. Those few that are interested in the details can always use the "normal way" to get that info.
Last edited by Stefan on November 14th, 2002, 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ted Mielczarek

Here it is

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

http://ted.mielczarek.org/code/mozilla/ ... ckins.html

I'll set it up as a cron job to run once a day, perhaps at midnight EST or so. All the internal links work, if that becomes a problem (too much traffic), I'll do some more trimming and just take them out.

OT-The HTML produced by Bonsai is really ugly.

-Ted
Stefan

Re: Here it is

Post by Stefan »

Ted Mielczarek wrote:http://ted.mielczarek.org/code/mozilla/PhoenixCheckins.html

I'll set it up as a cron job to run once a day, perhaps at midnight EST or so. All the internal links work, if that becomes a problem (too much traffic), I'll do some more trimming and just take them out.

OT-The HTML produced by Bonsai is really ugly.

-Ted

Been thinking a bit , updating once a day is not really enough. I think most users would like to be sure that the info is current when they decide to download a nightly, and considering the speed of development of Phoenix people will likely check for updates them selfs if it's only refreshed once every 24h.

Perhaps the best solution would be to update "last week" or "2 weeks" once every 24 hours and have "last 24 hours" updated say every 1 hour. That way peole would know that the info is uptodate enough so they don't need to check for them selfs.
Ted Mielczarek

Ehh

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

Daily builds only get built once a day. I don't think the info needs to be any more current than that. Besides, it has that big CACHED text in there.
Stefan

Re: Ehh

Post by Stefan »

Ted Mielczarek wrote:Daily builds only get built once a day.

DO you mean that you are already automatically checking that the dayly nightly (oxymoron?) is out before you make the update?

Otherwise in the worst case scenario the info will be 23.59 Hours old which could mean that the info available on your page is about YESTERDAYS nightly, not todays...