Remove copyright art from installer and Mozilla.org.

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
old jasonb

Remove copyright art from installer and Mozilla.org.

Post by old jasonb »

Now that the questionably copyright art has been removed from the splash screen, are there bugs yet filed on removing it also from the installer and the Mozilla.org site? The dragon still appears in both of those places. It would be nice if we didn't have this "fractured" identity... (A few Bugzilla results pop up on a "copyright" query, but none of them pertaining to this.)
michaell522

Re: Remove copyright art from installer and Mozilla.org.

Post by michaell522 »

JBassford wrote:Now that the questionably copyright art has been removed from the splash screen, are there bugs yet filed on removing it also from the installer and the Mozilla.org site? The dragon still appears in both of those places. It would be nice if we didn't have this "fractured" identity... (A few Bugzilla results pop up on a "copyright" query, but none of them pertaining to this.)

there's a bug for the installer - try searching for artwork instead of copyright (and if anyone else looks this up, please don't add comments saying that the new artwork sucks...)

no bug for the website art AFAIK, but bugzilla is a rather cumbersome way to coordinate changes to a webpage and it seems to get bypassed. there was discussion of reorganising the page in the minutes of the last mozilla staff meeting - maybe the banner will be changed then...
old jasonb

Re: Remove copyright art from installer and Mozilla.org.

Post by old jasonb »

michaell wrote:there's a bug for the installer - try searching for artwork instead of copyright

Got it, thanks.
Levin

Removing artworks

Post by Levin »

Hi!

I did open the issue in this forum a while ago:

http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6493

:) :)
spark

Post by spark »

I was under the impression that only the green dino was copyrighted. Obviously i was wrong...

Presumably about:logo and the unix icons need changing too....
old jasonb

Post by old jasonb »

Not just *nix icons, Win32 also.
marc00s

Post by marc00s »

Does this mean that the red dragon is illegal? Wasn't it made especially for Mozilla.org by someone?
I think it was, so what is the problem with (C)?
moronicbajebus

Throbber

Post by moronicbajebus »

Then I take it you will also need to change the throbber.
moronicbajebus

Font

Post by moronicbajebus »

Is the font that is used for the Mozilla logo legal?

Just want to make sure.
old jasonb

Re: Font

Post by old jasonb »

moronicbajebus wrote:Is the font that is used for the Mozilla logo legal?

It's called the "Revolution" font, and the question was asked in the flash bug but no answer was forthcoming.

As for the throbber, yes, that would apply too. It seems to me that there are far too many areas still in existence with the old artwork that need to be changed. I'm not sure if this was all out thoroughly enough...
amr

Post by amr »

Hey...I just realized this all makes my Mozilla shirts either

1. Collectors items, or
2. Obsolete

Depending on which way you look at it. :lol:
old jasonb

Post by old jasonb »

I just filed a bug on this overall issue - but I won't link to it. Anybody who finds it, please do NOT comment on / debate the current artwork being used.
Alex Bishop
mozillaZine Admin

Post by Alex Bishop »

The font is <a href="http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detail.asp?pid=401460">Revolution</a> from <a href="http://www.agfamonotype.com/">Agfa Monotype</a>. I'm not sure what sort of terms mozilla.org has licensed it under though.
Alex
moronicbajebus

Post by moronicbajebus »

Alex Bishop wrote:

The font is <a href="http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detail.asp?pid=401460">Revolution</a> from <a href="http://www.agfamonotype.com/">Agfa Monotype</a>. I'm not sure what sort of terms mozilla.org has licensed it under though.

http://www.fonts.com/legal/legal_home.a ... 6&con=eula

AGFA MONOTYPE CORPORATION END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT wrote: 12. You may electronically distribute Font Software embedded in a “Personal or Internal Business Use” document (that is, a document other than a “Commercial Product” as defined herein) only when the Font Software embedded in such document (i) is in a static graphic image (for example, a “gif”) or an embedded electronic document, and (ii) is distributed in a secure format that permits only the viewing and printing (and not the editing, altering, enhancing, or modifying) of such static graphic image or embedded document. You may not embed Font Software in a Commercial Product without a separate written license from AMT, and you may not embed Font Software in an electronic document or data file for any reason other than your own Personal or Internal Business Use.

It looks like if Mozilla bought it then they are fine; but I am not a lawyer.
mesostinky

Post by mesostinky »

So Alex is you icon now illegal as well? I'm sure I could whip up something ugly and orange if needed ;)