Phoenix and Gentoo GCC.

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
suwalski

Phoenix and Gentoo GCC.

Post by suwalski »

Hi guys.
I really like using Phoenix under Windows, and I'd like to play under Linux as well. My distribution of choice is Gentoo.

Upon running mozilla-bin I get:
bash-2.05a# ./phoenix-bin
./phoenix-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Indeed, /usr/lib contains libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2 .

Any practical solutions? Obviously Gentoo is a little behind on the C library, but I really hate the way it prevents me from running my favourite browser.
michel v

Post by michel v »

Uhm, have you tried ceating symlink'ing the file? It's very probable that Phoenix doesn't need the latest C libraries' features, so you should try symlink'ing the 'old' library and see how it goes. :)
eu/NEKE

GCC3 is the culprit!

Post by eu/NEKE »

What gentoo base did you install from?

This is a common error when you try to run a c++ app compiled under gcc 2.x on a system which only has the libraries from gcc 3.x installed. If you installed from a gentoo-1.4 or updated your gcc, then this is the result.

I updated my gcc a while back and still have a few apps which I haven't gotten around to recompiling yet, get this message all the time, i.e. on my java plugin :mrgreen:
hiTCH-HiKER

Post by hiTCH-HiKER »

I'm using SuSE Linux and it worked using those compatibility libs:
http://at.rpmfind.net/opsys/linux/RPM/l ... .so.3.html
cbowman

A fix

Post by cbowman »

I ran into the same problem. I sym linked libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 to libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2

bash-2.05a$ ls -al /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root root 24 Oct 19 14:02 /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 -> libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2
bash-2.05a$

and it has worked perfectly fine for me.
suwalski

Works nice.

Post by suwalski »

Thumbs up.
megatron0606

Re: Phoenix and Gentoo GCC.

Post by megatron0606 »

suwalski wrote:Upon running mozilla-bin I get:
bash-2.05a# ./phoenix-bin
./phoenix-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Indeed, /usr/lib contains libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2 .

i have this same problem ...

except my /usr/lib doesn't contain libstdc++ ...

the only libstdc++ i can find is in /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.1/ ... all that's there is libstdc++.so.5.0.2
something i'm missing here?
i'm running gentoo
hebs

Re: Phoenix and Gentoo GCC.

Post by hebs »

megatron0606 wrote:the only libstdc++ i can find is in /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.1/ ... all that's there is libstdc++.so.5.0.2
something i'm missing here?
i'm running gentoo

There is a Gentoo ebuild called lib-compat which contains old (ie non gcc-3.x) libraries for compatibility purposes.