1/18 ++ put toolbar collapse grippies back in

Discussion about Seamonkey builds
old jasonb

1/18 ++ put toolbar collapse grippies back in

Post by old jasonb »

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=175091

Note: Bug 112534 has been re-opened due to this, and there is now discussion of making the appearance of grippies a preference.
bzbarsky

Re: 1/18 ++ put toolbar collapse grippies back in

Post by bzbarsky »

JBassford wrote:and there is now discussion of making the appearance of grippies a preference.

Oh, please god no. That would have the major drawback (a big hit on window creation and startup time) without any of the benefits....
MODatic

Post by MODatic »

I don't have the grippies in 2003011808. IMHO, the preference for grippies should be under View>>Show/Hide.
Cheers,
MODatic ;)
Tony

Toolbar Grippies

Post by Tony »

The grippies are visible in 2003011908 and in the View>>Show/Hide there are options to turn on/off various toolbars (I'm 99% sure that they were already there before).

As an experiment (big mistake), I turned off my "Personal Toolbar" which worked fine. However, I cannot get it to come back on. I've tried: reselecting the option; deselecting and reselecting; quitting Mozilla and restarting, all to no effect. I also, cannot find anything in prefs.js for it.
Tony

Re: Toolbar Grippies

Post by Tony »

Tony wrote:As an experiment (big mistake), I turned off ...

I hate talking to myself but here goes.
I found the culprit in localstore.rdf. The offending lines were:

Code: Select all

<RDF:Description about="chrome://navigator/content/navigator.xul#PersonalToolbar"
           moz-collapsed="true"
           hidden="false" />

Closing Mozilla, changing the "true" to "false" and restarting cured my problem.
MODatic

Post by MODatic »

I was saying that just like we can turn various toolbars on and off in View>>Show/Hide, we should be able to turn the grippies on and off in that same area as earlier in the thread it was talked about how grippies might become a preference and I was just expressing my opinion. IMHO=In my honest opinion.

Thanks for the build info. Will grab it soon.
Cheers,
MODatic ;)
Tony

Post by Tony »

MODatic wrote:... we should be able to turn the grippies on and off in that same area ...

Sorry. I misread your original message.
Kommet

Fuck!

Post by Kommet »

I hated those stupid little things and was glad to see them go.

Until they let you rearrange the toolbars, they are just a poor duplicate of the Show/Hide menu, and iirc (and I think I do) it was a performance gain to ditch them in the first place.

They behave in a toally novel way, which is a patently BAD idea for a UI element. There may be some other app out there that shrinks (minimally) its toolbars when you click a little grippy, but other than Netscape 4 I can't think of any. If anyone can offer other examples so I can feel better about this, please by all means post here.

Bad, bad, bad, bad....

(Kommet runs off to read and possibly comment/vote on Bug 112534)
old jasonb

Post by old jasonb »

FYI, as per bug 112534 comment 8, you can disable the grippies on your copy of Mozilla by doing the following:

Add these lines to userChrome.css in your profile's chrome directory

toolbargrippy
{
display: none !important;
}

I've just done this and it works like a charm. Since it's code in userChrome.css it will survive Mozilla updates.