mailto-handlers on Linux?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
ts77

mailto-handlers on Linux?

Post by ts77 »

Hey folks,

I've found some posts about it but nowhere a solution.
On Linux I don't have a default mailer so how can I configure which email-client or at least THAT an email-client is used
if I click a mailto-link?
For now I get only "mailto is not a registered protocol" :-(.

TIA,

Thomas
mynameisjonas

Post by mynameisjonas »

this is one of my top gripes about phoenix..
it seems that (as other forum posts have suggested) this is as yet not implemented on linux.

Code: Select all

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.external.mailto", true)

doesn't seem to work at all :(

i have also searched bugzilla and i can't seem to find any relevant bugs, but then i'm not entirely au fait the whole bug reporting process

BTW as a side note, i use squirrelmail and so would like to change mailto links to act like regular http hyperlinks so: mailto:someaddress would become ==>> http://domain.com/src/login.php?emailad ... omeaddress

but i have no idea where to begin.. anyone point me to an extention?
Goldzilla

ContextMenu Extensions has configurable mailer

Post by Goldzilla »

ContextMenu Extensions allows you to select an application program for emailing or allows you to specify a webmail address
for Yahoo mail or other web mail services. Unfortunately the current version is broken [my opinion] but I'm using the previous
version 20030108 which works fine.
vanillicat

Post by vanillicat »

mynameisjonas wrote:i have also searched bugzilla and i can't seem to find any relevant bugs, but then i'm not entirely au fait the whole bug reporting process

Can you post in the bugs forum then? I'd really like to see this work as well, and a formal bug would give all the users something to track :)
willll

Post by willll »

does linux not have a system-wide mailto: handler, as windows does?
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

willll wrote:does linux not have a system-wide mailto: handler, as windows does?

I'm not sure... :oops: I just asked this question in a KDE newsgroup. Hopefully I'll get some answers. BTW, if you click a mail-to link in Konqueror, then KMail pops up correctly. I wish it was the case with Phoenix!
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
lar3ry

Post by lar3ry »

daihard wrote:BTW, if you click a mail-to link in Konqueror, then KMail pops up correctly. I wish it was the case with Phoenix!

Or evolution, for people that like that. Or tkrat, sylpheed, or scores of other mail apps for Linux.

I've gotten used to copying the mailto link and pasting into a "new message" box in my mailer. Not a great solution, but works for now.
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!" - A. Carlson
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

lar3ry wrote:
daihard wrote:BTW, if you click a mail-to link in Konqueror, then KMail pops up correctly. I wish it was the case with Phoenix!

Or evolution, for people that like that. Or tkrat, sylpheed, or scores of other mail apps for Linux.

I know, but I'm a KDE user. ;)

lar3ry wrote:I've gotten used to copying the mailto link and pasting into a "new message" box in my mailer. Not a great solution, but works for now.

That's what I do too. It's a workaround, though it'd sure be nice if there was a solution. :)
rehabdoll

Post by rehabdoll »

This is from the Balsa FAQ (gnome email-client, balsa.gnome.org):

How can I set Balsa as the default Gnome E-Mail client?
Go to the Control-Center to the URL-Handler. There add a new Protocol "mailto"(without ":") and, as the handler "balsa -m".

The last time i played around with linux, i never could get it to work (Mandrake 9). Maybe someone else running gnome can.
David James

Re: ContextMenu Extensions has configurable mailer

Post by David James »

Goldzilla wrote:ContextMenu Extensions allows you to select an application program for emailing or allows you to specify a webmail address
for Yahoo mail or other web mail services. Unfortunately the current version is broken [my opinion] but I'm using the previous
version 20030108 which works fine.

Could you provide a link? It's not on Phoenix Help, or is it?
Pinball-Firefox maintainer.
http://david.jamesnet.ca/
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3
David James

Post by David James »

Debian Sid, KDE 3.3
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

Is this the version that's broken? I followed the link and installed it on my 2003-01-08 Linux nightly, but it doesn't seem to be working. First, I set kmail as my mailer program, but it doesn't get invoked as I press a mail-to link. Second, I set vim as my external source editor, but it doesn't pop up when I select "View --> Page Source" either. I had to disable the extension and restart Phoenix to fix this problem.
David James

Post by David James »

daihard wrote:

Is this the version that's broken? I followed the link and installed it on my 2003-01-08 Linux nightly, but it doesn't seem to be working. First, I set kmail as my mailer program, but it doesn't get invoked as I press a mail-to link. Second, I set vim as my external source editor, but it doesn't pop up when I select "View --> Page Source" either. I had to disable the extension and restart Phoenix to fix this problem.

The view source worked for me with kate, the mail handler did not, whether it was kmail or mozmail.
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3