1/9 ++ double-click in url bar should only select one word

Discussion about Seamonkey builds
old jasonb

1/9 ++ double-click in url bar should only select one word

Post by old jasonb »

Full summary: double-click in url bar should only select one word (triple-click to select whole line)

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=125172
Sander

Post by Sander »

Combined with bug 116441 I really hate this fix. Means that now I need to triple-click to select the entire url if I click to the right of the url. (Yes, it's still one click to select if you click on the url itself, but for some reason I've gotten into the habit of clicking behind it, and that is not a habit I can easily unlearn, though Bela knows I've been trying these past few weeks.)
old jasonb

Post by old jasonb »

I know. I can't stand it either - it's really driving me crazy. I'm so used to double-clicking to select the entire URL that not having it happen now has me doing it again (thinking I did it wrong somehow), realising what's going on as I remember the "fix" (a huge misnomer in my mind), cursing, and then triple-clicking (which, in my case, means the middle-mouse button, that I've defined as a double-click, followed by a single-click). I know that Ctrl-L also does the same thing...
old jasonb

Post by old jasonb »

What makes this even more annoying, is that the reporter of the bug starts off by saying:

Most user interface standards I'm aware of specify that:
- single click positions the text insertion point ("I bar" or "caret")
- double click selects the word under the cursor
- triple click selects the line under the cursor (or sometimes the paragraph?)

However, this is totally contrary to what IE does. In IE, just a single-click in the URL bar highlights everything. I'd find that annoying in terms of copying/pasting a section of the URL, but it would be far less annoying that this triple-click nonsense.
old jasonb

Post by old jasonb »

I opened bug 188567 on this. I'm willing to live with the triple-click thing within the URL text itself, but think that you should be able to double-click to the RIGHT of the existing text (in the empty space) and still have everything highlight as it did before.
omidk

Post by omidk »

I agree this is a terrible terrible "fix". There is almost no reason to select just a word in a URL. Consistency.....bah.....atleast make the damn URL usable. Im sure the phoenix guys will see that this is stupid :)