menus "shake"

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
Newzilla

menus "shake"

Post by Newzilla »

When a menu opens, it has the jitters! :) Sti8ll works, but it is tad annoying--using:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.3a) Gecko/20021207 Phoenix/0.5 :D

Any ideas or fixes?
willll

Post by willll »

is this the first time you have installed phoenix? if not, did you remove all you rold phoenix files and your profile?
RAF

Post by RAF »

Unzipped about every nightly since 0.4 and never seen this happen.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.3a) Gecko/20021230 Phoenix/0.5
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

We've switched from Orbit to Qute since then. I have never heard this complaint from anyone else, not even XP users.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
Newzilla

Post by Newzilla »

Yes, this is my first install of Phoenix, and everything else seems to be working just fine! The menus jitter, but they DO work!

The tabs and the ability to have each with it's own home page are a fantastic feature coupled with my DSL! Unless it falls apart, it will definitely be my default browser.

I am using XP Pro SP1, by the way. I'm really not even complaing, because I think this browser ROCKS! Just couldn't find any reference to the jitters in the forums. I'm sure if this occured in IE, MS would call it a feature! :)
Newzilla

Post by Newzilla »

I found the work around for the "shakes"! I turned off all the menu effects (shadows, etc)in XP, and the jitters disappeared.:)

Should this be reported as a bug, or should it just be forgotten since nobody else has the problem? Maybe it's just me? :)
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Newzilla wrote:I found the work around for the "shakes"! I turned off all the menu effects (shadows, etc)in XP, and the jitters disappeared.:)

Should this be reported as a bug, or should it just be forgotten since nobody else has the problem? Maybe it's just me? :)

Try a Phoenix build from 12/27 or later. Try the latest Mozilla build. See if it happens in them, too. I'll watch this thread to let you know what steps to take next.
Piel

Re: menus "shake"

Post by Piel »

Newzilla wrote:When a menu opens, it has the jitters! :) Sti8ll works, but it is tad annoying--using:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.3a) Gecko/20021207 Phoenix/0.5 :D

Any ideas or fixes?

I don't have that problem, but I have noticed that menus in bookmarks seem to be slow to load...anyone else have this experience?

I am running the latest build on WinXP
loac

Post by loac »

I have had this problem in every build up to the one I am using now (12/19 or so) I have XP. The 'shaking' happens to me only when the little overflow chevron appears in the toolbar. Someone else had this problem too, http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewt ... t=jiggling
Wildcatzilla

Same Problem...

Post by Wildcatzilla »

I have noticed that the shadowed area of the menus flicker when open... This not only happens in Phoenix v0.5, but in any Windows program if I have Phoenix running in the background. I have also found that when I hover the mouse over a link, the arrow tends to have a little flicker to it as well. I agree that this browser rocks, but this issue does get a little old after a very short time.

Running, Win XP Pro, Mozilla 1.2.1, Phoenix 0.5.

I haven't bothered to look at the code, but I am interested in doing a little work on the project as I have time, let me know if I can help with something.

...Wildcat...
genevaroth

Post by genevaroth »

ya, I get the same thing too in XP.

I just recently themed my XP using windowblinds but I didnt have any problem with the shake, then as soon as I added another bookmark to the top menu and had that chevron appear I got the shakes,
when it opened and went to the default mozilla page but when I go surfing it still continues until I get to a page that has a lot of tables then it stops.

but still this is such a great program, one of the best things I have on my XP box! liked it on linux too!
genevaroth

Post by genevaroth »

just tried this, changed my opening page to blank and it still happens.

then when I open bookmarks> manage bookmarks and delete that extra bookmark that creates the little chevron as soon as I do that it stops shaking.

I have replicated this problem a couple of times and did the whole uninstall thing and the deleted my profile as well to no avail. (STILL SHAKES) (using todays .5 build)

oh well I guess I will go back to IE since it is never buggy and works perfect. YA RIGHT : )
Wildcatzilla

Think I might be on to something...

Post by Wildcatzilla »

I noticed something this evening, the flickering of the menu shadows doesn't start until after I see "Applet txtscroll started" in the status bar text. I would test the theory, by keeping that applet from opening, but I am unaware on how to do that in this browser. If any of you know how we might test this theory, I am open for suggestions.

Kale
alanjstr

Re: Think I might be on to something...

Post by alanjstr »

Wildcatzilla wrote:I noticed something this evening, the flickering of the menu shadows doesn't start until after I see "Applet txtscroll started" in the status bar text. I would test the theory, by keeping that applet from opening, but I am unaware on how to do that in this browser. If any of you know how we might test this theory, I am open for suggestions.

Kale

Applet to me says Java, so try disabling that.