Reload a 404 page should not result in About:blank

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
yzg_hello

Reload a 404 page should not result in About:blank

Post by yzg_hello »

When network is not stable or I need sometimes to switch proxies frequently, I get lots of "404" unable to connect pages.
Reload such a page when I set a correct proxy, however, resulted in a About:blank. I think it should result in a retry to
retrieve this page.
flii

Post by flii »

this would be great, i agree. ;) with the number of times this happens, i'm sure there's an rfe on bugzilla about it that some kind person will pop a link to so we can go vote for it. i haven't seen this brought up on the phoenix forums, yet, though, so congrats on finding a new topic. :P
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

This might be partly solvable by setting the following pref:

user_pref("browser.xul.error_pages.enabled", true);
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

It's related to the old "lose the typed URL if page fails to load and focus is lost" thing. My #1 bug. It's in there somewhere and I offer small praises nightly to the eventual fixer, whoever they may be.

- Chris
djst

Post by djst »

laszlo wrote:This might be partly solvable by setting the following pref:

The strange thing about that pref is that it doesn't register itself as a new page in history. If you hit Back, you will be taken to the page *before* that page that caused the error.
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

djst wrote:
laszlo wrote:user_pref("browser.xul.error_pages.enabled", true);

The strange thing about that pref is that it doesn't register itself as a new page in history. If you hit Back, you will be taken to the page *before* that page that caused the error.

Yep, there are still issues with it, but I (for myself) definitely prefer to live with these minor problems over the "Couldn't connect..." dialog :)

Unfortunately nobody seems to be really working on this recently (the last patch is from July), but if we're lucky, Blake might get annoyed enough by this while fixing this bug.
flii

Post by flii »

dang that first bug is mega long and i didn't see much relevance in the second bug... why would blake fix the about page when he's fixing up a "prettier" page? (sorry if i'm sounding dumb. i'm lost. lol.)
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

Flii wrote:[...] i didn't see much relevance in the second bug... why would blake fix the about page when he's fixing up a "prettier" page? (sorry if i'm sounding dumb. i'm lost. lol.)

I think by "dns error page" he actually meant the xul error pages that appear instead of the failed connection dialog if you set the mentioned pref. They are not prettyfied at all at the moment. Might be wrong though.
djst

Post by djst »

laszlo wrote:
djst wrote:
laszlo wrote:user_pref("browser.xul.error_pages.enabled", true);

Yep, there are still issues with it, but I (for myself) definitely prefer to live with these minor problems over the "Couldn't connect..." dialog :)

Same here. I hate those modal dialogs that always gets in the way. I don't understand why Phoenix defaults to that.
TD

Post by TD »

This has been buging me as well. Some times I mistype an address and instead of a 404 page coming up like in Internet Explorer an annoying dialog box pops up and the address disappears meaning I have to retype it rather than fixing what I did wrong the first time.
flii

Post by flii »

TD wrote:Some times I mistype an address and instead of a 404 page coming up like in Internet Explorer an annoying dialog box pops up and the address disappears meaning I have to retype it rather than fixing what I did wrong the first time.

yes! that's what i do too sometimes.

i also ctrl+click links and don't look at them until i've finished looking at my current page, and then when i'm ready for the new tab i created, i get the no-page thing and don't even remember what link i clicked to get that page. then i have to go all the way back through the page i had wanted to finish to find the link again instead of simply being able to refresh the broken tab, since the only problem was that internet goofed a bit. *sigh*
JakeNL

Post by JakeNL »

TD wrote:This has been buging me as well. Some times I mistype an address and instead of a 404 page coming up like in Internet Explorer an annoying dialog box pops up and the address disappears meaning I have to retype it rather than fixing what I did wrong the first time.

That is my #1 annoyance (as well?).

My preference would be:
Mis-typed addresses give a simple error-page, but it leaves the location-bar unchanged (!).

Now it's either a popup (kind of ironic for a browser that blocks popups by default) that sometimes leaves the address intact or an error-page that never leaves the typed address intact.

The error-page 'generated' with

Code: Select all

is good enough for me.
scratch

Post by scratch »

TD wrote:This has been buging me as well. Some times I mistype an address and instead of a 404 page coming up like in Internet Explorer an annoying dialog box pops up and the address disappears meaning I have to retype it rather than fixing what I did wrong the first time.

for proper communication of the issue, you might want to know that that's not actually a 404 page. Mozilla and Phoenix always display a 404 page as sent by the server. 404 is the error for "page not found", which can only be known if the browser can actually contact the server. It only pops up a dialog or generates an error page depending on prefs for errors where it can't actually contact the server.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

laszlo wrote:but if we're lucky, Blake might get annoyed enough by this while fixing this bug.

Since I guess the prettyness is basicly down to CSS, I wonder if this is a look that would be of any interest?

http://hem.bredband.net/b103277/errorpage/index.html
seb

Post by seb »

erm, Stefan? I hope that you have other ideas, because this one is IMHO not very good *cough*cough* :(

Something with big and nice fonts would be cool, I think.