Adblock

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
nobody2234

Post by nobody2234 »

The new version is very slick, thank you! Your work is very much appreciated :) Hopefully you can get the other features sorted out and working!
BopBe

Post by BopBe »

AdBlock prefence window isn't working properly with Classic 'based' themes.

I've noticed that it is using the user prefered (proportional) font size do draw its widgets, that in my setup is 15px. This is breaking its window completely.

Here is a sshot:

This doesn't happen with the Modern and other UI skinned themes.

Anyone experiencing this problem too or I'm the lucky one?

Edit: Note that the Radios aren't even being draw. Weird...
Bish

Post by Bish »

I believe I have solved the problem now. AdBlock now seems to look correct with both the classic and modern themes. All that was required was adding one line of css-loading. Embarrassing! :roll: Guess that will teach me not to skip chapters of "Creating Applications with Mozilla" again....
The xpi-file at <a href="http://adblock.mozdev.org">Mozdev</a> is now updated with the needed lines. It's not necessary to remove the old installation prior to updating.

Henrik Aasted Sorensen
BopBe

Post by BopBe »

Wow! Much better now! :)
Bish

Serious bug found...

Post by Bish »

A pretty serious bug was found with the right-click-addition of filters. If there were no filters added before using it, the dialog would not close when "ok" was pressed. :(
All users should update to version 0.2.1.
Sorry for any inconvenience.

Henrik Aasted Sorensen
maubp

Post by maubp »

I'm getting a very similar problem to BopBe, using AdBlock 0.2.1 with Mozilla 1.2.1 on Windows 2000:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.2.1) Gecko/20021130

And, the same using AdBlock with Phoenix 0.5:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.3a) Gecko/20021207 Phoenix/0.5

I posted in the Phoenix thread before I looked here.

http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewt ... 9&start=15

See also this Mozilla bug, which seems related:

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=171454
Peter
Bish

Default filters

Post by Bish »

It has been suggested that a few default filters are supplied with AdBlock, both as examples for a bit of help and to make it quicker to start using the program.

After contemplating it a bit, I've decided to do this. I'll start out with the following filters:

*ads*
*adv*
*banner*

Anyone got any more ideas? I'm trying to make the filters as generic as possible, to avoid hitting any particular sites. One of the more "controversial" filters I've considered is *click*, since this word seems to show up in connection with banners a lot. Would this be crossing some line?? Does it come too close to hitting one or two banner-providers specifically?

-- Henrik
maubp

Post by maubp »

Won't *ads* catch any legitmate word containing ads?

Not the best example in the world but for example, www.somemapsite.com/roads.png

How about just where a directory name is unwanted,

*/ads/*
*/adv/*
*/banner/*
*/banners/*
Peter
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

*/ad/*
*/ads.*
*advert*
*doubleclick*

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/hotabay1/ ... ontent.css for more
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
Bish

Post by Bish »

maubp wrote:Won't *ads* catch any legitmate word containing ads?

Yes! Shortly after using it, pictures were filtered from an directory named "uploads". *sigh*
I guess it will be */ads/* and */adv/*.

I still think that *banner* is ok, though. Not many "legitimate" uses of that word. :) *banners* is redundant with the former filter.

-- Henrik
dotcomian

Flash & Others...

Post by dotcomian »

I've been following the adblock development from Rue's <homepage.mac.com/rue/Adblock/>...

Flash override seem to work, but overkill I guess, site that utilizes flash navigation system like macromedia.com is failing to open. An exception filtering system must be a great feature along the small size download. v 0.4 has grown to a 76kb xpi package whilst the 0.3 is at 15kb.

Keep up the good work guys.
rue

Re: Flash & Others...

Post by rue »

dotcomian wrote:I've been following the adblock development from Rue's <homepage.mac.com/rue/Adblock/>...

Flash override seem to work, but overkill I guess, site that utilizes flash navigation system like macromedia.com is failing to open. An exception filtering system must be a great feature along the small size download. v 0.4 has grown to a 76kb xpi package whilst the 0.3 is at 15kb.

Keep up the good work guys.

Hey- I deinstalled Adblock and tried macromedia.com: it still didn't work. It's not Adblock's fault.

Their site first checks the user-agent string: mozilla isn't accepted. Second, it checks if you can accept cookies. Unfortunately, it does this from some site I've blocked cookies from, so even with a modified user-agent, I'm considered "unsuitable" for flash.

For anyone curious, the dev. builds reside at <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/rue/Adblock">mac dot com</a>. Just make a new thread for further comments; this thread was particular to a very old version earlier in the year.

Good Cheer,
rue
dotcomian

Post by dotcomian »

rue wrote:
Hey- I deinstalled Adblock and tried macromedia.com: it still didn't work. It's not Adblock's fault.

Their site first checks the user-agent string: mozilla isn't accepted. Second, it checks if you can accept cookies. Unfortunately, it does this from some site I've blocked cookies from, so even with a modified user-agent, I'm considered "unsuitable" for flash.

For anyone curious, the dev. builds reside at <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/rue/Adblock">mac dot com</a>. Just make a new thread for further comments; this thread was particular to a very old version earlier in the year.

Good Cheer,
rue

Rue,

Actually, I can open macromedia.com with version 0.3 of adblock, not the latest version.

I think it relates to the flash blocking feature being developed at v. 0.4, which is not available in 0.3.
aaron

Post by aaron »

I'm using Mozilla 1.4, and the AdBlock 0.4 d23 build, and I have no problems with the flash menu at www.macromedia.com
rue

Post by rue »

dotcomian wrote:Rue,

Actually, I can open macromedia.com with version 0.3 of adblock, not the latest version.

I think it relates to the flash blocking feature being developed at v. 0.4, which is not available in 0.3.

The flashblock routine is user-invoked, so until you fire the menu-item or press the key-combination, it's as though it weren't there. I'd like to help you out, but your posts haven't contained enough details to allow further sleuthing. Can you take some screenshots to indicate the how it wont load?-- a "before" shot with the older version would help.

What browser are you using?

Another point to consider: adblock v.4 catches many more methods of insertion. You may have a filter that blocks stuff on macromedia.com under v.4, where it didn't before.

-rue