larger Search bar or Opera like search in address bar

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
mstoer

larger Search bar or Opera like search in address bar

Post by mstoer »

I am fairly new to Phoenix, but I I love what I see. Hats off to all involved! I find the search bar a bit small and it cannot be re-sized (or moved). Is it spossible to enlarge it ior to simply use the Opera style searchign within the address bar (ie "g phoenix extensions" for a Google search of "phoenix extensions")?

Marcell
Mook

The second is possible

Post by Mook »

You can use the second option; just do a search on google and bookmark the first page of results. Then edit the bookmarks, and replace the search term to <code>%s</code>, and enter <code>g</code> as the keyword. This is what I currently use.

Actually, there may already by a "Google Quicksearch" bookmark under Quick Searches. You can just change its keyword if this is the case.
alanjstr

Re: larger Search bar or Opera like search in address bar

Post by alanjstr »

mstoer wrote:I am fairly new to Phoenix, but I I love what I see. Hats off to all involved! I find the search bar a bit small and it cannot be re-sized (or moved). Is it spossible to enlarge it ior to simply use the Opera style searchign within the address bar (ie "g phoenix extensions" for a Google search of "phoenix extensions")?

Marcell

The search bar can be moved (View -> Toolbars -> Customize)

The search bar can be resized via userChrome.css (insert css code here, someone, please)
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

My personal whish would be for the return of the built into URL bar search function.
The current implementation is a waste of space IMO.

Keep the dropdown "switch searchtarget" and a search-button that links this to the URL-bar.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Stefan wrote:My personal whish would be for the return of the built into URL bar search function.

Keep the dropdown "switch searchtarget" and a search-button that links this to the URL-bar.

Put the following in user.js
user_pref("keyword.URL", "http://google.com/search?btnG=Google+Search&q=");

Restart Phoenix and type search terms in the URL box and hit enter.

My test worked:
take me home -> http://www.google.com/search?btnG=Googl ... 0me%20home
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

alanjstr wrote:
Stefan wrote:My personal whish would be for the return of the built into URL bar search function.

Put the following in user.js
user_pref("keyword.URL", "http://google.com/search?btnG=Google+Search&q=");

Restart Phoenix and type search terms in the URL box and hit enter.

My test worked:
take me home -> http://www.google.com/search?btnG=Googl ... 0me%20home

That is far from what I'm suggesting.
To begin with it doesn't alow me to choose between search on page, google or another websearch.
mstoer

Re: The second is possible

Post by mstoer »

Thanks I got it to work. There is a google quicksearch item and I just edited that. Works great and now I don't need that little search bar. That can be tossed. To search within a page I just use CTRL-F anyway. I am still learning the ins and outs of Phoenix and it's just superb!

Marcell

[quote="Mook"]You can use the second option; just do a search on google and bookmark the first page of results. Then edit the bookmarks, and replace the search term to <code>%s</code>, and enter <code>g</code> as the keyword. This is what I currently use.

Actually, there may already by a "Google Quicksearch" bookmark under Quick Searches. You can just change its keyword if this is the case.[/quote]
thenightfly42

Re: The second is possible

Post by thenightfly42 »

mstoer wrote:To search within a page I just use CTRL-F anyway.

I'm also an Opera ex-user. Try to get accustomed to the Type Ahead Find feature; it's much better than CTRL-F.