Mouse Rocker Navigation

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Ted Mielczarek

Mouse Rocker Navigation

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

As someone who isn't fond of the mouse gestures extension, but found the idea of "mouse rocker" gestures (ala Opera, apparently) interesting, I've whipped up a tiny little (~4k xpi) extension to add just mouse rocker navigation to phoenix.

http://ted.mielczarek.org/code/mozilla/rocker.xpi

Installing this lets you hold the right mouse button and click left for back, or hold the left mouse button and click right for forward. And yes, you can click left multiple times to go back more than once.

This will probably all be obsolete for those of you with new intellimice once that back/forward buttons patch gets checked in, but it's neat anyway.

Props to whoever first had the idea, and the Optimoz guys for a little bit of code I snagged.
flii

Post by flii »

if i didn't already have my middle mouse button set to back, i would definately use this. thanks for creating it! that's a nifty little program enhancement.
Ted Mielczarek

Hm

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

It has some issues still. Seems to not always get all the mouse clicks. I'll look into it sometime. Not bad for 15 minutes work though. ;-)
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

Thanks, Ted, your efforts are appreciated. I also don't like the full set of gestures, but the rockers are great. :D
RAF

Post by RAF »

Yes! I want it.
I have the middle button set for Back (like Flii).
I can then use it to open in a new tab.

Thanks for the extension.
RAF

Post by RAF »

Holding right button and presss and release left works. It taken you back one page. **
If you then rightclick, you go forward one page, instead of displying the rightclick menu.
If you FIRST click left after ** the rightclick brings up the rightclick menu.

Just thought you wanted to know...

EDIT: same things happens with forward. only then everything above the other way around.
Ted Mielczarek

Right

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

RAF wrote:Holding right button and presss and release left works. It taken you back one page. **
If you then rightclick, you go forward one page, instead of displying the rightclick menu.
If you FIRST click left after ** the rightclick brings up the rightclick menu.

Just thought you wanted to know...

EDIT: same things happens with forward. only then everything above the other way around.

Yeah, it's got some issues. I'll have a look at it in a few days.
ssstraub

Post by ssstraub »

Flii wrote:if i didn't already have my middle mouse button set to back, i would definately use this. thanks for creating it! that's a nifty little program enhancement.

If you have your middle button set to "back" then what do you use to open links in a new tab? Do you have it ALWAYS open links in a new tab just by clicking on them? That would be pretty annoying if you actually just wanted to follow that link in the current page....
flii

Post by flii »

ssstraub wrote:If you have your middle button set to "back" then what do you use to open links in a new tab? Do you have it ALWAYS open links in a new tab just by clicking on them? That would be pretty annoying if you actually just wanted to follow that link in the current page....

[ctrl]+click :) i can't use my middle button to close tabs, either. poor me has to right click tabs and then close. let me tell you, my life is miserable. lol.
ssstraub

Post by ssstraub »

Flii wrote:
ssstraub wrote:If you have your middle button set to "back" then what do you use to open links in a new tab? Do you have it ALWAYS open links in a new tab just by clicking on them? That would be pretty annoying if you actually just wanted to follow that link in the current page....

[ctrl]+click :) i can't use my middle button to close tabs, either. poor me has to right click tabs and then close. let me tell you, my life is miserable. lol.

I guess you don't use mouse gestures then... I prefer to not have to have a hand on the keyboard when surfing. CTRL-click means 2 hands.
priior

Post by priior »

what's wrong with mouse gestures exactly? :)

right-clicked mouse gestures of course.. i donno who intheir right mind would use left-clicked mouse gestures!
flii

Post by flii »

ssstraub wrote:I guess you don't use mouse gestures then... I prefer to not have to have a hand on the keyboard when surfing. CTRL-click means 2 hands.

my left hand (i'm right-handed) is normally on my leg unless i'm holding sam (my bearded dragon) to keep him from jumping off my shoulder. even then, i've often used my elbow to hold down ctrl when my hand is busy. i'm very versitile. :-P my weird new-to-phoenix story: (it's a bit long)...

using ie i had to get a separate popup stopper because obviously ie doesn't have its own. i got one from popupstopper.net (you have to search a min for the free version) and set it to extreme popup control, which allows NO new windows to open, not even ones you click yourself. to get around that, i hit ctrl when clicking and popupstopper allows the new window to open. i am so used to hitting ctrl when clicking on links that i didn't even realize i was doing it at college, at my parents' house, or when i got phoenix. however, with phoenix, it opens links in new tabs. so here i was, not wanting tabs, but habitually hitting ctrl when i clicked links. needless to say, i got tab-converted from the constant habit and now i still use ctrl+click on new links.

i can honestly say i don't realize i'm doing it. my left hand is just always there, except for the circumstances i mentioned. i'm weird. ;) sue me.
joshk

Post by joshk »

Seems to work fine but the right click catcher is a little iffy at times. Even if i hold down the button the right click menu emerges... Sometimes.
<mspencer> Hitler used an aimbot.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Flii wrote:
ssstraub wrote:my left hand (i'm right-handed) is normally on my leg unless i'm holding sam (my bearded dragon)

If you where I boy I would have replied:
I do the same except I don't call my "bearded dragon" sam :wink:

But now I'm just at a loss of how to make this into a good joke :?

:mrgreen:
flii

Post by flii »

Stefan wrote:
Flii wrote:my left hand (i'm right-handed) is normally on my leg unless i'm holding sam (my bearded dragon)

If you where I boy I would have replied:
I do the same except I don't call my "bearded dragon" sam :wink:

But now I'm just at a loss of how to make this into a good joke :?

:mrgreen:

if you weren't so silly i'd make fun of you. ;) pics of sam. he's a cutie.