iframe problem? Javascript?

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
DIGITALgimpus

iframe problem? Javascript?

Post by DIGITALgimpus »

Check out the following URL in Mozilla 1.2 nightly:
http://www.macvillage.net/news/

Then try it in IE, Opera, or some other browser

There should be an ad at the very top...

but it doesn't seem to appear (at least on my system) with Mozilla 1.2 nighty.

Anyone have an idea?

I have not seen this issue in any other browser.
axl

Post by axl »

This is probably the same problem as in #181729

It is broken in 1.2 brunch and will not be fixed there. (See bug comments)
SChildren

Big problem

Post by SChildren »

I think this has a wider impact than was realised and it really should have been fixed for 1.2. So far I've seen it myself on a couple of sites already, and on something I was working on. Mozilla 1.2 is not suitable for my daily use with this bug, and I won't be sending an email out recommending people upgrade to it (which I was planning to do). :/

Something is very wrong with how the DOM is being built. The main place I've noticed it is with iframes (mainly advert ones) that are just a link containing an image - the image does not render (if you look at the DOM it just isn't there!). I've also seen it lose style attributes. People have posted in the Mozilla Builds forum about seeing it with javascript generated pages.

After some testing, I believe this bug is triggered when you do not have <html> and/or <body> tags. Of course any compliant HTML page should have these, but as we all know, many do not! Pages designed to be contained in iframes, and javascript generated pages are the places where these are most frequently forgotten, and so where this bug is biting.
Rick Bull

Post by Rick Bull »

But I think (from memory) if you are using HTML 4 then HTML and BODY are not mandatory, but the browser should "add" them itself.
SChildren

Post by SChildren »

Rick Bull wrote:But I think (from memory) if you are using HTML 4 then HTML and BODY are not mandatory, but the browser should "add" them itself.

It normally does yes, but whether it's strictly correct according to the standards ... I didn't think so. I went to check though, and you're right. The open and close tags of the <html>, <head>, and <body> elements are all optional. However, a document type declaration is of course needed, and interestingly, exactly one <title> element is *required* per document. You learn something new every day. :) However, good practice says that one should always use <html>, <head>, and <body> elements - this makes your intent clear to both the browser, and to people viewing your code (yourself included).

Either way, it doesn't alter the fact that this is a bug. Whether or not that code is OK by the standards, Mozilla should be rendering it. Not just because other browsers do, and people expect it to, but because it does in every other release.

My main point before was that adding those tags is what appears to fix this bug (from my limited testing) - I hope that helps people.
jgraham

Post by jgraham »

I suspect this is all related to <a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=182500">bug 182500</a> which seems to be a last minute blunder that may yet get fixed in 1.2
Warduke

Post by Warduke »

At the Mozilla website...

Stop The Presses
We've discovered a bug in Mozilla 1.2 that can cause DHTML on some sites to fail. We plan to release Mozilla 1.2.1 with a fix shortly.

So it will get fixed in 1.2 :mrgreen:
Firefox : One Browser to Rule Them All.
DIGITALgimpus

Post by DIGITALgimpus »

Wow.... Did I call that one?

:D

I thought I was all alone with this little one... Turns out to be a whole fiasco.
mozDude

Post by mozDude »

just a note: it works fine in 1.3a nightly build id: 2002120208

You are talking about the ad at the top center I presume.
DIGITALgimpus

Post by DIGITALgimpus »

mozDude wrote:just a note: it works fine in 1.3a nightly build id: 2002120208

You are talking about the ad at the top center I presume.

Yes I was.

1.2.1 nightly works fine too.