bugs/enhancements

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
brewthatistrue

bugs/enhancements

Post by brewthatistrue »

i've been using the May 15th version of thunderbird, and have come across a few things i think could be better:

<u>mail:</u>
1) cannot right-click (no context menu), or type "m" on search results
if i click "tools --> search messages" and then search for something, i cannot manipulate the messages normally.
2) in the message filter box ("tools -> Message Filters"), i click "Filter Name" to sort filters by name,
but it does not keep them in alphabetical order if i close and reopen from the menu.
2a) if i click the head ("Filter Name") and then try to move a filter up or down, it won't work.
2b) i cannot move more than one filter at a time, ever.
2c) if i try it would be nice to be able to select all/deselect all with one click.
2d) option to run filters manually instead of automatically (i want to know where my email is going before it gets filed)
OR get a status report (EVEN BETTER!): i.e. 1 message left in "inbox", 3 sent to "friends" folder, 50 sent to "spam" folder, etc.
3) in thunderbird cannot select by dragging a selection area over messages.
i don't know if this is a cross platform issue or what, but the mouse doesn't work like it normally does. i can only click on one message at a time (rather than selecting multiple rows at once WITH THE MOUSE).

<u>usenet newsgroups:</u>
1) have a username:password field in the setup wizard and "tools --> account settings" area
i'd like to have it input ahead of time, rather than trying to remember myriad passwords when the program suddenly prompts me for it.
2) persistent password. remember it once for every group on a server so i don't have to enter it for each group.
3) offline content...add a checkbox to the server in "tools --> account settings" so i can automatically have any group i subscribe to be downloaded for offline use (right now i have to 1-subscribe to groups and then 2-select which groups i want to copy offline.)
4) export news??? (is it in a standard format? .rc? it's not in the faq...yet?)

if anyone has any comments, please do let me know.
i may add to this if i find more :p
brewthatistrue

Post by brewthatistrue »

5) it would be nice to queue downloads (especially of message headers) to better utilize bandwidth. currently if i click a subscribed group for the first time in the left pane, it will retrieve headers. if i click another group without waiting for the first one's headers to finish downloading, the second group's headers start downloading, yet the status bar does not reflect that multiple operations are going on.
6) i don't see a button for "next unread in thread" or "previous in thread" or "next [read or unread] in thread" (although i do see keyboard shortcuts in "go --> next" and "go --> previous" for some of these
brewthatistrue

copying message headers

Post by brewthatistrue »

i don't see an easy way to copy message headers.
i did "view --> headers --> all" but i can only select one line at a time.
brewthatistrue

news junk

Post by brewthatistrue »

i wish i had the ability to filter out spam from usenet newsgroups
<a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=179984">Bug 179984</a>

<a href="http://www.mozilla.org/mailnews/spam-faq.html#q3">Why can't I use the this [spam filtering] on news account?</a>