At the risk of ...

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
jksteinhauer

At the risk of ...

Post by jksteinhauer »

...sounding ignorant ... I'm sure this has been covered but I can't seem to find the answer in this forum; the last Phoenix/Firebird build (the present) I installed was the 4-16. I have since tried to install more recent builds (last attempt, 4-29), it downloads, when Winzip goes to open installation I get the 4-16 installation file only, not the one I'm going for, 4-x, 5-x, whatever the current is, and I do not find that build listed in Winzip files. What am I blundering on here?
Do I completely install the current build first?
Dunderklumpen

Re: At the risk of ...

Post by Dunderklumpen »

jksteinhauer wrote:...sounding ignorant ... I'm sure this has been covered but I can't seem to find the answer in this forum; the last Phoenix/Firebird build (the present) I installed was the 4-16. I have since tried to install more recent builds (last attempt, 4-29), it downloads, when Winzip goes to open installation I get the 4-16 installation file only, not the one I'm going for, 4-x, 5-x, whatever the current is, and I do not find that build listed in Winzip files. What am I blundering on here?
Do I completely install the current build first?

There is no install/setup file in the nightly builds - just the files needed in order to run the program. So to install the new version you have to download the file and then replace the files in your phoenixfolder.

I suggest that you first delete the content in the phoenixfolder in order to avoid any conflicts or problems with files not properly replaced.

Any extensions you might have installed have to be reinstalled due to that.

This is the reason why winzip keeps starting up your old setup - there is no new one in recent builds.
ehume

Post by ehume »

Dunderklumpen wrote:Any extensions you might have installed have to be reinstalled
And the way to deal with that is to download the extensions to your hard drive. Then, with each new version of fb you install, simply open a fb window and drag the xpi file into the open window to install the extension.

The exceptions to this are the extensions that install to your profiles. But you will still want to save the extension.xpi files to your HD because every once in a while you will want to start with a fresh profile.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
byron

Post by byron »

note that it's possible to modify any extension to force it to install into your profile.

* download and extract the xpi
* edit install.js
* replace getFolder("Chrome"); with getFolder("Profile", "chrome");
* replace registerChrome(.. | DELAYED_CHROME, .. with registerChrome(.. | PROFILE_CHROME, ..
* recreate xpi with updated install.js, and install
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

This is great - three replies and I guess we have covered just about what there is to know :-), and even a little bit more. This forum is an ocean of knowledge.
buckminster

don't for get your plugins

Post by buckminster »

When deleting your old Phoenix install, you should keep your plugins folder so you don't have to search and/or reinstall your plugins (Flash, Java, etc.). Just make sure you overwrite the default plugin when unzipping the phoenix build.
rockstiff

Re: don't for get your plugins

Post by rockstiff »

buckminster wrote:When deleting your old Phoenix install, you should keep your plugins folder so you don't have to search and/or reinstall your plugins (Flash, Java, etc.). Just make sure you overwrite the default plugin when unzipping the phoenix build.

You can also create a Plugin-folder in your profile and move the plugin-files there! (All but the default)

This doesn't work with the Flash and Shockwave plugins, however... they have to be located in the program Plugin-folder. Does anyone know why this is?
bthater
Location: i'd tell you, but then i'd have to cut off you head and put it in the safe.

Re: don't for get your plugins

Post by bthater »

[quote="rockstiff"][quote="buckminster"]When deleting your old Phoenix install, you should keep your plugins folder so you don't have to search and/or reinstall your plugins (Flash, Java, etc.). Just make sure you overwrite the default plugin when unzipping the phoenix build.[/quote]
You can also create a Plugin-folder in your profile and move the plugin-files there! (All but the default)

This doesn't work with the Flash and Shockwave plugins, however... they have to be located in the program Plugin-folder. Does anyone know why this is?[/quote]

because thay are evil and great wasters of time.;-)
--

Bill "Shrek" Thater ORACLE DBA
bthater2@netsacpe.net
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Creopan

Post by Creopan »

Dunderklumpen wrote:I suggest that you first delete the content in the phoenixfolder in order to avoid any conflicts or problems with files not properly replaced.

Any extensions you might have installed have to be reinstalled due to that.

This is the reason why winzip keeps starting up your old setup - there is no new one in recent builds.

Does this mean any settings made to the extensions will be lost?
Creopan
---
P4PE Rev. 1.03 | BIOS Rev. 1005 | P4 2.4B GHz | O/Ced 2700 MHz 18*150MHz | Corsair CMX512-3200C2 @ 400MHz 2-2-2-5 | Albatron Ti4200P Turbo | SoundBlaster Live MP3+ | WinXP SP1a
anand

Post by anand »

Extensions settings are usually stored in your profile, not in the Phoenix directory, so they'll be preserved.
Paradox52525

Post by Paradox52525 »

Responding to Byron's post: your tips are very useful. Now that I can force Plugins to install to the profile directory ungrading to newer nightly builds is a hell of a lot easier. I had some trouble trying to do this with the preferences toolbar though. The format of the install.js is a bit different and I really don't know anything about javascript, so I was hoping someone could tell me how to modify this file to make the plugin install in my profile directory. Here's the contents, thanks in advance:

// XulPlanet Install Script
// Preferences Toolbar 2.2.1
// Aaron Andersen, 20030226

kappName = "Preferences Toolbar";
kappVersion = "2.2.1";
kappChromeName = "prefbar";
kappFile = "prefbar.jar";
kappPath = "content/prefbar/";
klocalePath = "locale/en-US/prefbar/";
ksuccessMessage = "The Preferences Toolbar has been successfully installed. Restart your browser to continue.";
kerrorMessage = "Install failed! You probably don't have appropriate permissions (write access to the mozilla/chrome directory.)";

initInstall(kappName, "xulplanet/" + kappChromeName, kappVersion);

addFile(kappName, kappFile, getFolder("Chrome"),"");
addFile(kappName, "prefbar.rdf" , getFolder("Profile") , "")

registerChrome(CONTENT | DELAYED_CHROME, getFolder("Chrome", kappFile), kappPath);
registerChrome(LOCALE | DELAYED_CHROME, getFolder("Chrome", kappFile), klocalePath);

var err = getLastError();

if (err == SUCCESS)
{
err = performInstall();

if (err == SUCCESS)
{
alert(ksuccessMessage);
}
else
{
alert(kerrorMessage);
cancelInstall(err)