Never auto-open Junk

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
codefool

Never auto-open Junk

Post by codefool »

Most HTML formatted junk mail contains links that, when resolved, actually inform the spammer that it was opened. This makes the email address a 'premium' address which is sold to even more spammers because its now known that a human is seeing the email.

I think that mail marked as junk should *never* be automatically opened, unless I double-click or specifically request it open.

Currently, TB opens the first/last message when deleting junk.
Username

Post by Username »

This is tied into the bug that Thunderbird does not respect the setting of "Loading of remote images" under Tools | Options.

I can't find a bug #, but I'm pretty sure the issue was resolved in Mozilla a few weeks ago ... still exists in Phoenix/Thunderbird.
galapogos

Post by galapogos »

You mean we should never read the mail or mark the mail as read? How does the spammer actually know if we've read the mail, if they do not request receipt notification?
uggi

Post by uggi »

If the e-mail client downloads the remote images, the spammer can easily detect which messages are read. For example, using an image tag like {img src="http://foo.bar/img.php?id=12345"} can load a php page that displays an image and also inserts your id into the "working-email-addresses" database.
galapogos

Post by galapogos »

What if I just mark it as being read without opening the spam mail? That would work right?
tve

Post by tve »

galapogos wrote:What if I just mark it as being read without opening the spam mail? That would work right?

yes. if you dont open the mail, you arent requesting the remote image :)
<i>Latest Firefox Trunk & Thunderbird 1.0</i>
dandersahn

Post by dandersahn »

A huge issue here, IMHO, is that when the "Delete Mail Marked As Junk In This Folder" menu option is executed one of the junk messages is actually opened up while deleting them if the preview pane is used.
mcowger

Important

Post by mcowger »

<i>This is tied into the bug that Thunderbird does not respect the setting of "Loading of remote images" under Tools | Options. </i>

I would like to underscore the importance of this bug. It really does let spammers know whats going on. While I haven't worked with the code, it dopesn't seem like that hard of a problem to solve.
ataferner

heh

Post by ataferner »

I just recently requested this as a "feature" in the feature forum. IMO turning off images globally isn't a great solution. KMail handles this in a nice way. Any message containing HTML is not rendered unless the user clicks on a link in the preview pane that says "i trust this sender, render the message". A nice addition to this feature would be if certain senders could be permanently added to a whitelist of HTML senders. To add to this concept it would certainly be nice if Thunderbird had a nice whitelist "sender" manager similar to the way the Qurb plugin for Outlook works (http://www.qurb.com).
tgnb
Cochise

Post by Cochise »

dandersahn wrote:A huge issue here, IMHO, is that when the "Delete Mail Marked As Junk In This Folder" menu option is executed one of the junk messages is actually opened up while deleting them if the preview pane is used.

This is one of the reasons I stopped using the preview pane back when I was using Outlook. But yes, it would be nice to have another solution besides not using preview pane.
XandreX

Re: Never auto-open Junk

Post by XandreX »

codefool wrote:Most HTML formatted junk mail contains links that, when resolved, actually inform the spammer that it was opened.
You have the View | Message body as | Simple HTML which enables you to only view simple HTML (no frames, no images). available since MozMail 1.3 (at least).
XandreX
I'm the kind of people your parents warned you about