customizing the top bar?

Discuss application theming and theme development.
aarem

customizing the top bar?

Post by aarem »

Does anyone know a way to customize the top bar? I would like to get rid of Edit, Go and Help, which are features I have never used in my life!!
mozDude

Post by mozDude »

I think...i think you will have to mess with the XUL files for that. If I remember correctly, that should be in comm.jar. Look around...there should be a file that defines the menu items.

I may be wrong. I have not done this myself. My knowledge has come from poking around. I know the navigatorOverlay.xul seems to define the menu contents like cut, copy etc. I am not sure where the actual menus, like Edit, View etc., are defined
darksheer

Post by darksheer »

should this perhaps become an RFE?

I know that a lot of people would like to be able to not necessarily customize those menus, but at least move them on the toolbars or hide them from view (like the overlapping toolbars available in IE)
lynchknot

Post by lynchknot »

I know it's not what you are asking but, Is removing all the padding in menu.css not enough? It might look odd that the text is all crammed together, but it's still functional and will use only 2.5 inches of your toolbar.
flii

Post by flii »

currently there are no built-in ways to do that, though i would like that option too. from what i've picked up from other threads that mentioned this (most likely from replies to my own comments lol) is that this is not something that will be supported, but who knows? phoenix is only version .4 and if enough people want to be able to do this, i have high hopes that the admins will let us. :) personally, i'd like to get rid of a few of the menu items as well. i think the best way would be to allow them to be drag-and-drop like the other toolbars.
lynchknot

Post by lynchknot »

...........or add "menu-toolbar" to View > toolbars - then add a hotkey to get it back.
Last edited by lynchknot on November 19th, 2002, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flii

Post by flii »

but if you did that, you wouldn't be able to go to view->_UN_hide menu toolbar.
lynchknot

Post by lynchknot »

**see above! - lol!
laszlo

Re: customizing the top bar?

Post by laszlo »

aarem wrote:Does anyone know a way to customize the top bar? I would like to get rid of Edit, Go and Help, which are features I have never used in my life!!

To remove the Edit, Go and Help items from your menu, add the following to your userChrome.css:

Code: Select all

menu[label="Edit"],
menu[label="Go"],
menu[label="Help"] {
  display: none !important;
}
djst

Post by djst »

laszlo wrote:
aarem wrote:Does anyone know a way to customize the top bar? I would like to get rid of Edit, Go and Help, which are features I have never used in my life!!

To remove the Edit, Go and Help items from your menu, add the following to your userChrome.css:

menu[label="Edit"],
menu[label="Go"],
menu[label="Help"] {
}

Fantastic! This is the trick I've been looking for! I actually asked for this a few weeks ago, and I thought this would be possible. This is going straight to the Tips & Tricks page!
darksheer

Post by darksheer »

definitely an excellent tip! Thanks a lot!
aarem

Post by aarem »

laszlo wrote:

menu[label="Edit"],
menu[label="Go"],
menu[label="Help"] {
}

Yes, great! Thank you!!

On another note, and this just occurred to me, it might we worth considering iconifying the remainder -- for instance, the bookmarks is too long a word. The icon that exists ends up opening the bookmarks list as a sidebar (i don't like that -- just a personal preference). I would like to be able to have the functionality of the "bookmarks" (especially) or the "file" or the "view" or the "tools" without wasting space on my topbar -- perhaps then we could even find a way to throw in the statusbar in there. I guess I am obsessed with saving real estate:-)
flii

Post by flii »

you're an angel. thank you, thank you!

[edit: hot dang that's awsome. now i have to figure out what other cool stuff i can shove up into my new super leet bar. look at all that space! lol. (note: flii's in heaven)]
lynchknot

Post by lynchknot »

This does not work for me. Will someone tell me how it's done? I went to app data ...profile...chrome..renamed from example ..inserted text - does not work for me.
AtomB

Post by AtomB »

aarem wrote:On another note, and this just occurred to me, it might we worth considering iconifying the remainder -- for instance, the bookmarks is too long a word. The icon that exists ends up opening the bookmarks list as a sidebar (i don't like that -- just a personal preference). I would like to be able to have the functionality of the "bookmarks" (especially) or the "file" or the "view" or the "tools" without wasting space on my topbar -- perhaps then we could even find a way to throw in the statusbar in there. I guess I am obsessed with saving real estate:-)

not sure if it can be. but hell i've got the day of tomorrow and will be working on updating my Chimera theme. and since i'll be in the customizing mood, i'll see if this is possible.

and please if it's not some one reply before i go waste hrs trying.