Linky 1.7.0 released!

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
gemal

Linky 1.7.0 released!

Post by gemal »

Linky 1.7.0 released!
http://linky.mozdev.org

Linky 1.7.0 has Mozilla Firebird improvements and better installation.

What's new?
- <strong>Mozilla Firebird options support</strong>
- Preferences use cleanup
- Better installation. Will detect old version of Linky and offer install into the same folder.
- Optional validation support. Hidden preference "extensions.linky.developer" has to be true for menuitem to appear
- Sorting options in Select Links dialog. Right-click on the links and a context menu appears
- Translators wanted. If you would like to translate Linky into something else than English and Danish you're more than welcome to contact me (linky at gemal dot dk)

Install Linky 1.7.0:
http://linky.mozdev.org/installation.html
Henrik Gemal
Mozilla Evangelist
old jasonb

Post by old jasonb »

I'm getting an error (code -239, chrome registration) whenever I try to install 1.7.0 (on top of 1.6.0). I've tried to manually remove my existing 1.6.0 install but must be missing some component (I'd installed it into my profile directory), since I can no longer even reinstall 1.6.0, let alone 1.7.0. I'm having the same problem in both Mozilla and Firebird. Currently, I no longer have a working install of Linky in Mozilla, but I do still have 1.6.0 running in Firebird.

Can somebody detail the steps in manually uninstalling Linky (obviously this is less intuitive than I'd thought if it puts things in more places than just the chrome directory) so that I can try installing it again?
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

I had the same error as jasonb, so I cleared my profile entirely, and still received the same error. I then attempted a global install, and received the chrome error again. Haven't tried going back to 1.6.0. I'll try a new Firebird & new profile combination once the next nightly is released.

[edit] The only way I was able to install 1.7 was to delete everything, and request a Global installation.
Amerk_5

Post by Amerk_5 »

I get the same error whenever I try install a newer extension on top of an older one. However, even though it says it failed to install it usually has installed. The error seems to have become more frequent just before 0.6 milestone.

I got the error updating Linky from 1.6.0 to 1.7.0 but after restarting MF I can view & change Linky's options without any problems.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.13) Gecko/20060414 (No IDN)
old jasonb

Post by old jasonb »

Amerk_5 wrote:I got the error updating Linky from 1.6.0 to 1.7.0 but after restarting MF I can view & change Linky's options without any problems.

You're right. After exiting and restarting Mozilla (just now) it was to discover that 1.7.0 had been installed after all. I don't see this whole issue as a bug that's been reported however. Maybe I'll just nip over there and file it.

Update: Filed as bug 3823.
old jasonb

Post by old jasonb »

I also don't know what's caused it (perhaps the faulty upgrade install) but while my Mozilla version of Linky is now working as it should (after I restarted) I can't for the life of me get to a UI in Firebird where I can change the options. All I can get to is the screen where I can disable/enable the extension - but the Settings button is grayed out. I can modify its behaviour by hand-editing prefs.js but that doesn't seem kosher...
Amerk_5

Post by Amerk_5 »

jasonb wrote:I also don't know what's caused it (perhaps the faulty upgrade install) but while my Mozilla version of Linky is now working as it should (after I restarted) I can't for the life of me get to a UI in Firebird where I can change the options. All I can get to is the screen where I can disable/enable the extension - but the Settings button is grayed out. I can modify its behaviour by hand-editing prefs.js but that doesn't seem kosher...

That's strange because I can access the Settings for Linky 1.7.0 in MF build 5/22.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.13) Gecko/20060414 (No IDN)
Red_Fat_Lazy_Cat

Post by Red_Fat_Lazy_Cat »

Never had direct access to Linky settings :( Even with v1.70 and Firebird build 05.22.

It's possible to use chrome://communicator/content/pref/pref.xul to see Linky settings... but they ain't editable, say i check "show open options for tabs only" but it changes nothing. And i still see both "open in tabs" and "open in windows". So it looks like in Firebird Linky optons are read-only, so to say.
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well. -- Missy Dizick

My Firefox themes: Red Cats (blue & green flavor), Curacao
old jasonb

Post by old jasonb »

Red_Fat_Lazy_Cat wrote:So it looks like in Firebird Linky optons are read-only, so to say.

Although, as I mentioned, you can hand-edit prefs.js and have that work. I've filed bug 3824 on the Firebird UI problem.
Red_Fat_Lazy_Cat

Post by Red_Fat_Lazy_Cat »

jasonb wrote:Although, as I mentioned, you can hand-edit prefs.js and have that work.

I prefer using about:config to edit prefs.js. It's more visual to me.

So here is the workaround to make Linky show only tabs or windows options if the settings ain't accessible:

- enter about:config in the addresss bar
- find the preference named "linky.showopen"
- double-click it to edit
- now if you want to show only tab options, enter 0, only windows option - enter 1.

Hope it helps someone :)
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well. -- Missy Dizick

My Firefox themes: Red Cats (blue & green flavor), Curacao
Gilles

Post by Gilles »

I also have the -239 error while installing Linky in the profile chrome directory.
I saw that it gets registered in the different overlays.rdf files correctly but the jar file is missing.
Copying that jar file from the xpi in the chrome directory makes it work.

There's no version shown in the prefs panel though.

This is for both Firebird and Mozilla.
gemal

Post by gemal »

Red_Fat_Lazy_Cat wrote:
jasonb wrote:Although, as I mentioned, you can hand-edit prefs.js and have that work.

I prefer using about:config to edit prefs.js. It's more visual to me.

So here is the workaround to make Linky show only tabs or windows options if the settings ain't accessible:

- enter about:config in the addresss bar
- find the preference named "linky.showopen"
- double-click it to edit
- now if you want to show only tab options, enter 0, only windows option - enter 1.

Hope it helps someone :)

Remember that Linky prefs are now called extensions.linky.*
Henrik Gemal
Mozilla Evangelist
old jasonb

Post by old jasonb »

Also, Bugzilla bug 109044 may be related.