good stuff

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
jrs66

good stuff

Post by jrs66 »

I think this is the best overall download on mozdev right now. Just knocked off Optimoz mouse gestures in my mind. I'd like to see an XUL preference panel, i'll do it myself if your interested.
jensb

Post by jensb »

Which "download on mozdev" are you referring to?
grayrest

Post by grayrest »

I'm guessing that he means the all in one gestures and hit post new topic instead of reply.
jrs66

sorry bout that

Post by jrs66 »

I did press new message instead of reply (mainly because I wanted to post a new message and not repy), so I don't really know where this message has been placed. But anyway... The extension that i was reffering to is smoothwheel (http://smoothwheel.mozdev.org/), it blows the smoothscroll of Mozilla out of the water- try it.
wossName

Post by wossName »

The Shift key does scroll one line by default, and the Ctrl key can be configured through about:config, I set it to full-page scrolling (it's value "1").

Wow: "Automatically utilizes strong CPUs for smoother scroll.", how smooth can you get ? :) Personally, I find the scrolling to be pretty smooth already.
avih

Post by avih »

smoothwheel (v0.2) is limited to 100fps. if you want to see how smooth your cpu can get, check out the configuration section: http://smoothwheel.mozdev.org/installation.html#config
and set ScrollMaxFPS to 1000 ;) but you'll probably experience the tearing effect if your cpu is that strong (this effect is usually related to video, when the image changes before the monitor refresh cycle is finished). that's why i introduced the fps limit. for best results, set your monitor refresh rate to 100 (give it a try, even if you have to lower the resolution just for the sake of this test), and set ScrollMaxFPS to 50 or 100. ALSO important, on my TNT2, when the desktop color depth is set to 16bpp (instead of 32 or 24), it's much faster for gecko to render. another thing that may give gecko an easier life, is to disable font anti aliasing (again, just for the test).

bottom line, smoothwheel has a pretty optimized code, so the fps is limited by (probably in order of importance):
1. gecko rendering speed (affected by desktop bpp, embedded flash clips, and font aliasing)
2. cpu
3. ScrollMaxFPS confiruration variable (but if i.e. you set it to 10fps, then this will be the dominant factor).

cheers
ps.
after some ppl tested v0.3b, it seems my new optimized code doesn't accelerate it significantly, so i'll prob release v0.3 RSN, and put the new optimized code into a leter version.
Last edited by avih on May 20th, 2003, 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
jrs66

smoothwheel

Post by jrs66 »

Why isn't this code going into the tree? Or is it?

It seems to be superior in every way.
avih

Post by avih »

actually, anyone can put it into the tree, it's open source ;)
although i would prefere that it won't, since i'd like to add a donation link (i need it :( ). but PR is ok ;)

also, the next version will introduce some adaptive features that may take some time to get used to (although everyone that tested just loved them), so it will have a somewhet non-standard behaviour.. which i doubt would make it into the tree.