Can't save anything to a file

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
simbloke

Can't save anything to a file

Post by simbloke »

Hi,
I can't save a message, attachment or anything to a file in any versions of thunderbird/minotaur that I have tried. I haven't seen this mentioned here, does anyone else have the problem?

If I try to save a message to a file I get a pop-up notice saying 'Unable to save the message. Please check your file name and try again'. If I Right-Click on an attachment and select Save-As nothing happens. I never get as far as a Save-As dialog box.

I am currently using Thunderbird built from cvs today under Gentoo Linux. I have also tried the Linux build from mozilla.org. Each time I have moved the .thunderbird or .minotaur directory out of the way and created a new profile.

Any suggestions or does this simply not work yet?

Regards,
Sim
mscott

Re: Can't save anything to a file

Post by mscott »

simbloke wrote:Hi,
I can't save a message, attachment or anything to a file in any versions of thunderbird/minotaur that I have tried. I haven't seen this mentioned here, does anyone else have the problem?

If I try to save a message to a file I get a pop-up notice saying 'Unable to save the message. Please check your file name and try again'. If I Right-Click on an attachment and select Save-As nothing happens. I never get as far as a Save-As dialog box.

I am currently using Thunderbird built from cvs today under Gentoo Linux. I have also tried the Linux build from mozilla.org. Each time I have moved the .thunderbird or .minotaur directory out of the way and created a new profile.

Any suggestions or does this simply not work yet?

Regards,
Sim

This is a known linux issue. The file save as dialogs aren't getting bundled into the build I think.
Thunderbirds are Go!
nrg

Post by nrg »

Is there any update regarding this bug?
This bug makes the Linux build pretty useless imho.
postb99

Post by postb99 »

Sure, this is terrible :-(

Hoping I can find a way to get it from CVS and compile it...
mscott

Post by mscott »

If a linux person wants to try to fix this, start poking in:

xpfe\components\Makefile.

For thunderbird builds, try adding the filepicker directory to the list of directories built here.

You may also need to add some code to:

xpfe\components\build2 (this is a thunderbird only module) to reflect the filepicker specific code found in xpfe\components\build in order to make sure we link in and register the file picker code.
Thunderbirds are Go!
cuban321

Post by cuban321 »

Any odds of actually getting this fixed? It's quite annoying and as I see it thunderbird is the only worthwhile email application under linux.
craymtn2

Post by craymtn2 »

I have had no problems doing a Save As for attachments since I started using TB just before 0.1. Even with Linux (Mandrake 9.1/KDE)! Check and make sure you have write permission into the directory where you are trying to save the file. Maybe you are trying to put it into a /usr/local or something and you are not root?
cuban321

Post by cuban321 »

I do not even get a window to choose a place. It immedietly says I cannot save.
craymtn2

Post by craymtn2 »

cuban wrote:I do not even get a window to choose a place. It immedietly says I cannot save.

That never happened to me. I'm not very familiar with the Gentoo distro. What window manager are you running and what specific version/build of TB are you trying?
cuban321

Post by cuban321 »

I'm running Gentoo, using Fluxbox.
cuban321

Post by cuban321 »

Mozilla Thunderbird 0.2 (20030919)
cuban321

Post by cuban321 »

I take that back. Now I get a window to choose where to save it. I get the error even in my own homefolder though.
craymtn2

Post by craymtn2 »

I've been using Linux for almost 7 years and I've never heard of Fluxbox! What the hell is that?!

Can you easily switch to KDE or Gnome and try TB? It's possible that the TB code is using a KDE/Gnome, built-in file browser widget, but I don't know for sure.
craymtn2

Post by craymtn2 »

cuban wrote:I take that back. Now I get a window to choose where to save it. I get the error even in my own homefolder though.

Bummer... try this: go to your home directory, make a new directory, then chmod 777 on it. Then try to save the attachment. If you can't save in there, I'm out of suggestions!
cuban321

Post by cuban321 »

fluxbox > *

I don't even have KDE or gnome on this machine.

Chmod 777 made no difference. Same error.