The developers must be busy

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
ehume

The developers must be busy

Post by ehume »

or taking a vacation. They deserve a vacation, IMO.

I suspect, though, they are putting the final touches on v 0.5.
alanjstr

Re: The developers must be busy

Post by alanjstr »

ehume wrote:or taking a vacation. They deserve a vacation, IMO.

I suspect, though, they are putting the final touches on v 0.5.

Don't forget they are core mozilla developers too. This is a side-project. Nothing was checked in today for Phoenix, but they could have been helping get 1.0.2 and 1.2 ready.

It's ready when it's ready.
jrt

Post by jrt »

Some facts from bonzai:

Joe Hewitt's last Phoenix check-in was over a month ago. Actually, until today he hadn't made any check-ins (at all) in over a month.

Pierre Chanial's last Phoenix check-in was nearly 3 weeks ago.

Blake Ross' last significant Phoenix check-in was made 4 days ago.

The lack of check-ins doesn't mean work isn't being done, but it is clear that the rate of change (and especially major improvements/fixes) is dramatically slower compared with the previous months. This is to be expected with most projects as they mature, of course. Still, with such a small development team and new project, it is somewhat worrying.
jrt

Post by jrt »

I forgot David Hyatt - his last Phoenix check-in was over 3 weeks ago.
whiprush

Post by whiprush »

I'm pretty happy with Phoenix as it stands, so I'm not concerned. This close to the holidays, we can probably expect development to slow down considerably until January.

Except for a few minor quirks, I've been pretty happy with a nightly from a few weeks ago. I used to be nutty and grab the latest nightly all the time, but by most measures you could stamp 1.0 on any recent build and I'd be pretty happy with it.

As far as I'm concerned, Phoenix is complete for my needs, everything else is just icing on the cake. :)
pavlov

Post by pavlov »

I heard that they were going to work on a new project called Vixen with Ben Goodger.
asa

Post by asa »

pavlov wrote:I heard that they were going to work on a new project called Vixen with Ben Goodger.

I heard they all got jobs at MicroSoft.

--Asa
"You'd PAY to know what you REALLY think." --Dobbs 1961
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

asa wrote:
pavlov wrote:I heard that they were going to work on a new project called Vixen with Ben Goodger.

I heard they all got jobs at MicroSoft.

--Asa

Yeah, as if Microsoft was really interested in what consumers want.

I think you all deserve pats on the back for getting this far so quickly.
Blake

Post by Blake »

Joe just drops in occasionally to help us out, he's not really a consistent Phoenix developer. He's busy with Netscape projects at the moment.

Dave is extremely busy with Apple work for the next few weeks.

Pierre Chanial is busy trying to get a degree; he'll be back soon.

And me, well, I'm just waiting for some trunk fixes before releasing 0.5. Specifically, the crashes when you go to pages with flash 5 and shockwave, and the fix for intellimouse back/fwd button support. And I'll probably fix the charset autodetector bug (targetted to 0.5) and change the multiple homepage separator character to |. That'll probably be 0.5.
djst

Post by djst »

Blake wrote:Joe just drops in occasionally to help us out, he's not really a consistent Phoenix developer. He's busy with Netscape projects at the moment.

Dave is extremely busy with Apple work for the next few weeks.

Pierre Chanial is busy trying to get a degree; he'll be back soon.

And me, well, I'm just waiting for some trunk fixes before releasing 0.5. Specifically, the crashes when you go to pages with flash 5 and shockwave, and the fix for intellimouse back/fwd button support. And I'll probably fix the charset autodetector bug (targetted to 0.5) and change the multiple homepage separator character to |. That'll probably be 0.5.

Thanks for the update, Blake. We're all appreciating your work.
ehume

Post by ehume »

djst wrote:
Thanks for the update, Blake. We're all appreciating your work.

Amen!
jrt

Post by jrt »

Blake wrote:And me, well, I'm just waiting for some trunk fixes before releasing 0.5. Specifically, the crashes when you go to pages with flash 5 and shockwave, and the fix for intellimouse back/fwd button support. And I'll probably fix the charset autodetector bug (targetted to 0.5) and change the multiple homepage separator character to |. That'll probably be 0.5.

FYI - I believe the fix for the Flash/Shockwave crash you are referring to was checked in on Friday evening (<a href="http://bonsai.mozilla.org/cvsview2.cgi?diff_mode=context&whitespace_mode=show&subdir=mozilla/modules/plugin/base/src&command=DIFF_FRAMESET&file=nsPluginViewer.cpp&rev1=1.130&rev2=1.131&root=/cvsroot">nsPluginView.cpp change</a>).

The patch for the Intellimouse and keyboard support looks good to go, although I wouldn't hold up a release for it. And you have since checked in the | separator change. That apparently leaves the charset bug, which I don't know enough about to comment on.

If you're taking nominations for 0.5 bugs, I'd put <a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=177797">177797</a> at the top of the list.
mesostinky

Post by mesostinky »

"and the fix for intellimouse back/fwd button support. "

Wow, so that's finally going to work? That would be great, A lot of people have those mice, don't want to install additional software, and have to rely on mouse gestures which obvisously keep breaking now and then. No disrepect to gestures of course, but for me personally the only reason I've ever installed them is for forward and backword movement.

In case anyone wants to read the long history
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=30431
asa

Post by asa »

jrt wrote:FYI - I believe the fix for the Flash/Shockwave crash you are referring to was checked in on Friday evening (<a href="http://bonsai.mozilla.org/cvsview2.cgi?diff_mode=context&whitespace_mode=show&subdir=mozilla/modules/plugin/base/src&command=DIFF_FRAMESET&file=nsPluginViewer.cpp&rev1=1.130&rev2=1.131&root=/cvsroot">nsPluginView.cpp change</a>).

Nope. The bug in question is http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=179822 and it's not fixed (anyone with flash pre-6 will crash)
jrt wrote:The patch for the Intellimouse and keyboard support looks good to go, although I wouldn't hold up a release for it. And you have since checked in the | separator change. That apparently leaves the charset bug, which I don't know enough about to comment on.

What patch?

--Asa
"You'd PAY to know what you REALLY think." --Dobbs 1961
jrt

Post by jrt »

asa wrote:
jrt wrote:The patch for the Intellimouse and keyboard support looks good to go, although I wouldn't hold up a release for it. And you have since checked in the | separator change. That apparently leaves the charset bug, which I don't know enough about to comment on.

What patch?

--Asa

<A HREF="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=106886&action=view">This one</A>.