Dupicate, Invalid, and Worksforme

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
asa

Dupicate, Invalid, and Worksforme

Post by asa »

As we approach the 1,000th bug reported on Phoenix I thought I'd share some stats with you all.

56% resolved as duplicate, invalid or worksforme (that's like 560 bugs!)
21% open
17% resolved as fixed
6% resolved as wontfix

Thanks to sébastien, david, david, andré, simon, tuukka, hasse, and others for helping us keep that massive amount of bad bugs resolved and out of the developers' way.

--Asa
Morpheus

Post by Morpheus »

I recently posted my first bug, which turned out to be invalid, and I'd just like to say that its hard to track valid changes without that link off the Phoenix project page saying what you've done in the past 24 hours, as well as week. I'm sure its possible to get the query in Bugzilla but I'm not to handy with Bugzilla queries. Its also possible that the change wouldn't've been commented in the changes either, but I like to keep up with what's changing so I can test and track new features, et al.

My bug was that the Ctrl+; shortcut to the search bar didnt work anymore, when it was actually just changed to Ctrl+K. I had no idea of this change, so I thought it was broken.

Just my $0.02.

Excellent job on keeping those bad bugs out of the way, though. :)
cheeaun

Post by cheeaun »

Actually, I also once posted a bug but seems to be unresolved and pushed to the Mozilla guys.. It's not fixed even until the 0.4 build. The bug is about pressing F5 when in print preview.
Phoenity http://phoenity.com/
You should follow me on Twitter here http://twitter.com/cheeaun
Stefan

Re: Dupicate, Invalid, and Worksforme

Post by Stefan »

asa wrote:As we approach the 1,000th bug reported on Phoenix I thought I'd share some stats with you all.

56% resolved as duplicate, invalid or worksforme (that's like 560 bugs!)

Well, you wanted to have a browser for the average Joe, and average Joe doesn't check for dupes before posting bugs :D
So I guess thta is proof that you are hitting your target audience =)
djk

WONTFIX rant

Post by djk »

I realize the Phoenix is a project guided and implemented by a few talented individuals. I also realize that this small group makes all the decisions about what bugs/RFE's will and will not be addressed in Phoenix. I can live with that, because so far, it's worked quite well.

But now, I've had 2 of my RFE's closed as WONTFIX without so much as an explanation.
The first was bug 171702, which after some time and clarification of the request was FIXED.
Now, bug 180164 was marked WONTFIX without an explanation. :-(

Now, I know that the Phoenix developers don't need to answer to anyone, but it would be a nice thing to at least make a short explanation as to why something is resolved as WONTFIX.

Thank you,
David
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

Morpheus wrote:I recently posted my first bug, which turned out to be invalid, and I'd just like to say that its hard to track valid changes without that link off the Phoenix project page saying what you've done in the past 24 hours, as well as week. I'm sure its possible to get the query in Bugzilla but I'm not to handy with Bugzilla queries. Its also possible that the change wouldn't've been commented in the changes either, but I like to keep up with what's changing so I can test and track new features, et al.

My bug was that the Ctrl+; shortcut to the search bar didnt work anymore, when it was actually just changed to Ctrl+K. I had no idea of this change, so I thought it was broken.

Just my $0.02.

Excellent job on keeping those bad bugs out of the way, though. :)

http://ted.mielczarek.org/code/mozilla/ ... ckins.html
David James

Post by David James »

Morpheus wrote:I recently posted my first bug, which turned out to be invalid, and I'd just like to say that its hard to track valid changes without that link off the Phoenix project page saying what you've done in the past 24 hours, as well as week. I'm sure its possible to get the query in Bugzilla but I'm not to handy with Bugzilla queries. Its also possible that the change wouldn't've been commented in the changes either, but I like to keep up with what's changing so I can test and track new features, et al.

I had no idea either and so I confirmed it as a regression :(. I'd prefer not to make that kind of mistake again...
Pinball-Firefox maintainer.
http://david.jamesnet.ca/
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3
David James

Re: WONTFIX rant

Post by David James »

djk wrote:Now, bug 180164 was marked WONTFIX without an explanation. :-(

Now, I know that the Phoenix developers don't need to answer to anyone, but it would be a nice thing to at least make a short explanation as to why something is resolved as WONTFIX.

I perhaps should not have marked it WONTFIX without explanation. However, the problem I face is this: I have credible information that the subject of this request is WONTFIX yet I don't have details of the reasons why. So I can be fairly sure that it will eventually be marked WONTFIX anyway. In this case I opted to mark it WONTFIX to save developers' time in the future.

At any rate, I've reopened it so it will now go to the developers for review.

It would certainly be nice as a triager to have a little more insight into what's going on rather than having to rely on hearsay to resolve some of these bugs.
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3
djk

Post by djk »

David James wrote:I perhaps should not have marked it WONTFIX without explanation. However, the problem I face is this: I have credible information that the subject of this request is WONTFIX yet I don't have details of the reasons why. So I can be fairly sure that it will eventually be marked WONTFIX anyway. In this case I opted to mark it WONTFIX to save developers' time in the future.

I don't mean to attack you. I know your help triaging bugs saves the developers valuable time. But I am frustrated about having no explanation when an RFE is WONTFIXed. I can understand setting that status on obviously bad bugs, but on bugs which may be valid, I'd appreciate a short explanation.

I guess my desire for an explanation stems from bug 171702 (menubar toolbar), where the eventual explanation notified me of the fact that my initial RFE was vague and therefore misintrepreted. The bug went on to be fixed.

David James wrote:At any rate, I've reopened it so it will now go to the developers for review.

It would certainly be nice as a triager to have a little more insight into what's going on rather than having to rely on hearsay to resolve some of these bugs.

Thanks for reopening.
I can understand that your lack of information doesn't make your job any easier. I guess I'd say to err on the side of caution when WONTFIXing bugs.
djst

Post by djst »

David James wrote:It would certainly be nice as a triager to have a little more insight into what's going on rather than having to rely on hearsay to resolve some of these bugs.

The best help you could give is probably to confirm a RFE unless it's a duplicate. Of course, some RFE's are way out there and those can probably be wontfixed, but I still think that decision should be up to the developers, which is why I never resolve rfe:s. So, check for dupes and if it's not a dupe, mark it as new, unless it's a really crazy rfe. :)
djst

Post by djst »

A page that I find very helpful (even for myself!) when triaging bugs in my own <a href="http://texturizer.net/phoenix/bugs.html">Reporting Bugs</a> page. It divides the bugs into smaller categories and strips away the duplicates.

Morpheus wrote:My bug was that the Ctrl+; shortcut to the search bar didnt work anymore, when it was actually just changed to Ctrl+K. I had no idea of this change, so I thought it was broken.

You can always check the list of <a href="http://texturizer.net/phoenix/keyboard.html">Keyboard Shortcuts</a>. It's updated whenever a shortcut is changed.
David James

Post by David James »

I'm getting a blank page at this link right now... are there specific times of the day when it has something or...?
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

David James wrote:

I'm getting a blank page at this link right now... are there specific times of the day when it has something or...?

Oops. Something must have died along the way. Probably because of how slow bonsai can be. :)
asa

Post by asa »

Morpheus wrote:I recently posted my first bug, which turned out to be invalid, and I'd just like to say that its hard to track valid changes without that link off the Phoenix project page saying what you've done in the past 24 hours, as well as week. <snip>

There are always goint to be a few bugs filed which turn out to be "as designed" or otherwise invalid. The larger problem is duplicate reports. Querying bugzilla can be a bit difficult but with Phoenix it's not nearly as hard as Mozilla. When in doubt just look at all open Phoenix bugs (the list is only about 210 long) and skim through the summaries or use find in page / type ahead find to see if your issue is already reported in an open bug :)

--Asa
seb

Post by seb »

To list all the open Phoenix bugs, just go to http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi ... d,reopened :)