OMG! My Phoenix is literally bouncing up and down!

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
djk

i think i know the bug number:

Post by djk »

miahz,

This report about bouncing when the bookmarks bar has a folder and a chevron and is on the menubar sounds like bug 178884 (http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=178884).

I could be wrong, though.

David
Old miahz

Post by Old miahz »

i concur.

altho the bug write-up doesn't mention anything about it only happening in certain themes.
loomis

my theme

Post by loomis »

The theme it is happening to me with is Noia.

Thanks for the additional postings about this bug btw. I went to the bug thread and added my description as well.

Thanks,
Loomis
The television is the retina of the mind's eye.

--Videodrome
Old miahz

Post by Old miahz »

found more...

the chimera theme for phoenix is another that "dances" if the conditions listed above are met.

the site icon in the url bar jitters along with the content and scroll bar in the main window.
goodben

Post by goodben »

e-sassin wrote:goodben: What nightly are you usinig and what platform?

I have Windows XP. It's happened to me with several versions of Phoenix (and Mozilla too). Like I said, I think it has to do with the mouse (Microsoft optical) because moving the scroll wheel fixes it. It looks to me that other people are having a different problem with similar symptoms.
Spewey
Folder@Home

Post by Spewey »

goodben wrote:I have Windows XP. It's happened to me with several versions of Phoenix (and Mozilla too). Like I said, I think it has to do with the mouse (Microsoft optical) because moving the scroll wheel fixes it. It looks to me that other people are having a different problem with similar symptoms.

Oh! That's interesting. I, too, have a Microsoft optical mouse and sometimes if the scroll wheel is not in a 'detent' (sorry, engineering jargon) everything in the page will jiggle. Once, then settle when I move it or it flips down. The original post seems to describe the entire browser jiggling. Could this be the same thing? I don't know.
loac

Post by loac »

I think I know wha you are talking about, but that is not it. THe problem I had would keep occurring np matter what you did with the mouse.
Old miahz

an image of the "bouncing"

Post by Old miahz »

for anyone wondering what it looks like, i managed to capture the phenomenon.

http://www.geocities.com/miahzmiahz/phoenix.html

it occurs at varying speeds.

to get it to work, the bookmark toolbar items have been moved to the menubar, and there is a folder following the Mozillazine mark. the window was resized until that folder was pushed under/immediately following the ">>" that appears when the toolbar overflows.

notice the main content and scrollbar as well as the site icon "bounce." altho if you look at the site icon, it's not actually "moving" - it looks more like the top line gets doubled, forcing the rest down a line. same for the main window - the top line gets doubled, shifting everything down, then the top line of the status bar gets "eaten."

and i know what you guys are talking about with the mouse scroll wheel not "catching the groove." but that can happen in any prog, so it's not the same. this doesn't appear to have anything to do with the mouse/scroll wheel.
loomis

great job miahz

Post by loomis »

Great job!

But mine does it *way* faster than your animated gif shows. Mine bounces 10 times that fast!

Thanks,
Loomis
The television is the retina of the mind's eye.

--Videodrome
peares

Yet another type of bounce/flash/pulse/blink

Post by peares »

Whenever the mouse cursor crosses the divider between the main window and the sidebar the text in the sidebar flashes once.

Also with about:config open in a tab the main window flashes each time the mouse leaves the main window; this does not happen if other about:xxx's are open, just about:config.

Build:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win 9x 4.90; en-US; rv:1.3b) Gecko/20030310 Phoenix/0.5
Old miahz

fixed?

Post by Old miahz »

bug 178884 seems to be fixed in mfb 0.6. i've tested it with the 0.6 release on win2k and the pinball theme.

nothing mentioned in the bug report tho. did this bug just fix itself?